Feed back on advice given for problems

Submitted: Thursday, Jul 05, 2012 at 20:51
ThreadID: 96690 Views:1880 Replies:8 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Gang,

Just want to know a bit more about advice given on this site.

I have as well as a lot of others have given advice on problems with vehicles, trailers, tents etc... and many other things, But we never here the outcome of what fixed the problems or what had to be done to fix them.

It would be really nice to get a bit of feedback on our answers, what worked and what did not, also products and parts that where used to help.

Would just like to know that our time is not wasted in answering threads and that a good outcome has happened.

That's all folks,
Had my say,

David Will.
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: PJR (NSW) - Thursday, Jul 05, 2012 at 21:14

Thursday, Jul 05, 2012 at 21:14
It has been said before.

Seems that a lot of people who ask questions are initially very courteous. But when they have the answer that is the last you hear of them.

Don't worry there are plenty that do come back.
AnswerID: 490200

Reply By: Member - Josh- Thursday, Jul 05, 2012 at 21:16

Thursday, Jul 05, 2012 at 21:16
That's funny David. I was just thinking that about 10 minutes ago. I read a couple of threads that had various answers given to the original question but no reply from the OP. In a couple people commented that the OP had not commented to responses or people asked for more info from the Op with no response. As you say it would be nice to know the outcome or what actually fixed the issue.

Josh
AnswerID: 490201

Reply By: Motherhen - Thursday, Jul 05, 2012 at 22:53

Thursday, Jul 05, 2012 at 22:53
Hi David

It is so nice to get feedback. I have even had feedback about a camping location (gravel pit) i once recommended to a member here. We were travelling at the time, and i gave the directions as i remember them - from a few years prior. After the person had found the spot, he sent me a PM to thank me and even passed on the GPS co-ordinates. So nice. I have since been able to direct someone else to it.

Many don't think about it. What bothers me more is when someone asks a question, i and others put a lot of thought or work, into the answer - and they never return to even read it.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 490210

Reply By: Bigfish - Friday, Jul 06, 2012 at 04:53

Friday, Jul 06, 2012 at 04:53
I can remember a chap asking about vehicle purchase. Must of had about 20 replies and the vast majority were warning off getting involved in this particular purchase.

He thanked everyone and promptly turned around and bourht the vehicle everyone was steering him away from. Many excellent reasons given. Most of us give reasons based on experience or from what we have been told about a certain product/location or matter. Opinions vary widely often.

It just makes you wonder at times
AnswerID: 490215

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val - Friday, Jul 06, 2012 at 08:36

Friday, Jul 06, 2012 at 08:36
Then there are those who buy a product - car, fridge, camper etc - THEN ask are there any issues with it. Human nature - gotta wonder at it sometimes!

Cheers,

Val
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 765481

Reply By: Member - Richard L (VIC) - Friday, Jul 06, 2012 at 06:01

Friday, Jul 06, 2012 at 06:01
There is a lot of good advice offered on this site and it seems that most people take it for granted.
However the information which is passed over will most probably be used in conjunction with advice from others, helping to form a bigger picture.
Bagging people for not doing as you have suggested is a bit rich unless you know every factor in the decision that was reached.

Totally agree with the original post about feedback in regards to wether a suggestion has provided an outcome to a problem, as this will confirm the info and help even more people with difficulties.

Richard
AnswerID: 490217

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Friday, Jul 06, 2012 at 13:38

Friday, Jul 06, 2012 at 13:38
Agree David.

Something to bear in mind when responding to a request for help -

The original poster has a specific problem, but he/she is not the only one following the thread. There are often up to a 1000 or more people logged onto the site, though only a small number are active. Those people in the "audience" are also learning from the conversation. It's a a bit like a panel of "experts" on stage taking questions from members of a large audience.

Feedback is important so those contributing are better informed (and get the satisfaction of knowing that they were on the right track), but also so that the audience isn't led astray. People can return to the thread months or years later too, so a wrapup saying what advice was good and what wasn't has long term benefit.

Cheers

John
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 490244

Reply By: Hairy (WA) - Friday, Jul 06, 2012 at 19:16

Friday, Jul 06, 2012 at 19:16
Yeah.....sure its nice to get feed back, but not everybody has the time or facilities to keep checking responses every minute or may not have even started whatever it was they were looking for advice on.
I myself have asked advice, got a suggestion, gone out and fixed my vehicle and left on a trip without replying for a week or so as there was half a dozen vehicles waiting for me.
I dont think asking a question should tie you to the computer until you have answered every response.....it can go on for weeks.

Yes a response is polite and is good to hear but not compulsory or always possible.

Cheers

And by the way.....Im going down to feed the horse and if someone rolls up and I dont get back to the computer tonight. apologies` in advance OK....LOL
AnswerID: 490265

Reply By: Member - David Will (VIC) - Saturday, Jul 07, 2012 at 19:53

Saturday, Jul 07, 2012 at 19:53
Hi Gang,

Thanks for all the responses, I understand that some people get busy and cant reply straight away but even a response down the track about how they got on would be good.

On threads that I really want to know the outcome I watch them hoping for a fix or what happened, but it never comes.

That life I suppose,

Have fun where ever you are and enjoy it all while you can,

David Will
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 490345

Sponsored Links