suspension

Submitted: Monday, Apr 15, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 967 Views:1873 Replies:1 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
I am looking to upgrade the suspension on my nl diesel pajero.ARB recomend old man emu,opposite lock suggest tuff dog and tjm say series 2000 xgs.Has anyone had any experience with these brands?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: slunnie - Monday, Apr 15, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, Apr 15, 2002 at 00:00
All of these retailers are recommending their own brands. I've used TJM, and for my vehicle they gave a 65mm lift and a fairly firm ride. The progressive nature of the rear springs was completly consumed by the weight of the vehicle. The shocks were very poorly matched to the weight of the vehicle and the spring specifications. In my current vehicle I use King Springs which seem to be quite good. The lift from the springs is about 30-35mm and still very comfortable. The progressive rear springs work well. The Rancho shocks are also great. If you want to upgrade your suspension also look at doing it your own way (eg. not a TJM/ARB/OL etc kit)such as what I have done - but you must do your research and understand fully how the Pajeros suspension works and how aftermarket springs and shocks work. By the way, the OME setup has a very good name here and OS. Just say if you want more info re. this.
AnswerID: 2858

Follow Up By: Mike - Tuesday, Apr 16, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Apr 16, 2002 at 00:00
What are your thoughts on the Paj's torsion bar re replace vs adjust? I have a LWB NJ Pajero and also spoke with ARB and TJM, and received the same answers. The only difference was that ARB said they could adjust the existing torsion bar, whereas TJM recommended replacing it with a more heavy-duty one. Replacing it added about $500 to the job, so is it necessary? I take the car off road but will not be doing anything really serious with it until I have the appropriate 4WD driving experience. Thanks.
FollowupID: 1105

Follow Up By: Slunnie - Tuesday, Apr 16, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Apr 16, 2002 at 00:00
I think that the Paj has a big problem with sagging in the front end. If you look at some of the Pajeros with a few years and K’s (and bars) on them you will see many almost look like they’re sitting on the front bump stops. It is fairly easy to wind the thing back up again to reset the ride height and this is probably ok in the short/medium term, but another thing to consider is how much will the torsion bar spring twist before age and fatigue get to it. If putting in a raised suspension kit the bar will be set even higher than standard which increases the amount of bump travel available which will further increase the potential twisting on the torsion bar. If the torsion bar is in reasonable condition (not sagged to much already) I would just reset the thing, if its sagged a fair bit or have a steel bull bar I would probably consider upgrading. A positive about using upgraded (stiffened???) torsion bars, apart from metallurgical quality, is that the spring should also produce more grip. Generally you will find that the aftermarket rear coil springs will be stiffer than standard allowing more grip, load carrying capacity and increased ride height. It is important to match these grip levels from front to back (balance). As an answer in my opinion, it isn’t necessary, but it is something you may want to have in the back of your mind for later.
FollowupID: 1106

Follow Up By: Mike - Wednesday, Apr 17, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, Apr 17, 2002 at 00:00
Thanks, Slunnie.
FollowupID: 1114

Sponsored Links