Mitsubushi Pajero

Submitted: Friday, Jul 06, 2012 at 17:01
ThreadID: 96704 Views:2175 Replies:5 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hello,
I am thinking about buying a new Mitsubishi Pajero Platinum 3.2 L Diesel automatic for towing my 20 ft Caravan,(GVM 2300 kg's) I am not planning on going "off Road" but perhaps some gravel roads occasionally, could any of you fellow RV's advise me if they :

(1) Have any inherent problems, particularly with the diesel motor or auto gearbox?
(2) Are they a good tow vehicle?
(3) Are they expensive to maintain?
Thanks
Dave
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: The Escapees - Friday, Jul 06, 2012 at 17:47

Friday, Jul 06, 2012 at 17:47
Hi Dave

I have my Pajero for just over a year and really happy with it. Previously I had a Patrol Ti ( top of the range ) and was really disappointed with the ride when unloaded ( really roly poly ), the fuel 'economy' and also the power it didn't have. It is too small a motor for such a big car. I needed the the 3 tonne towing capacity and HAD to have the manual as the auto is only 2.5t.

I put $$$$ into the suspension ( still not great ) Put $$$$$$ into the motor with a DP Chip - OK just

The Pajero is a bigger more powerful motor in a smaller vehicle - much better. Much better fuel economy ( both were diesel ).

A better car to drive when unloaded. I have put a lift kit plus air bags in but only because i needed and managed to convince the one who is to be obeyed that we should. The ride was great before all this.

Just after we bought the car we went to The Kimberleys and did the Gibb River Road and then onto Cape Leveque towing a fairly heavy camper trailer.

We did 15000klm in 6 weeks ( way too much BUT....) and the car was great.....

Servicing is not too bad as they are now ( all seem to be) offering a fixed price service at 15 000 klm intervals ( we do ours earlier due to the towing )

My only thought/comment is I 'think ' it is a bit heavy on fuel when fully loaded towing. But not really sure what all the other types consume - definitely better than the Patrol.

I think we all know that the Landcruiser is still the best vehicle but at nearly twice the price ........................

Depending on what you are towing ( weight wise) there really isn't many options when you want 2.5 or more tonne towing capacity.

The Pajero consistently gets 9.2litres per 100ks when driving around empty and that includes a fair bit of Brisbane's ..... traffic

Hope this helps

Neil
AnswerID: 490257

Follow Up By: Puttingdave00 - Friday, Jul 06, 2012 at 18:11

Friday, Jul 06, 2012 at 18:11
Hi Neil,
That is the exact follow up I was looking for, I also have heard some horror stories from Nissan owners (and also some good ones).
Thanks
Dave
FollowupID: 765515

Reply By: The Escapees - Friday, Jul 06, 2012 at 18:27

Friday, Jul 06, 2012 at 18:27
No worries Dave

Have a look about 4 entries below yours - plenty of opinions there as well.

You could also thow into the mix the 'industrial' Landcruiser.

Unfortunately for us we are tied to work and therefore the vehicle must be 90% good for all purpose all round use AND a good towing vehicle for the other 10%

Unkless you have bucket loads of $$$$$ a compromise is just that!!!!!

Neil
AnswerID: 490262

Reply By: Member-Heather MG NSW - Friday, Jul 06, 2012 at 21:29

Friday, Jul 06, 2012 at 21:29
Hi Dave,

We bought our Pajero ATD last September and have done around 24,000 kms in it. Traded our Navara D40 auto diesel for it.

We are currently towing our almost 19 ft Jayco Outback Sterling caravan, which weighs around 2.4 tonne, around in Qld. and have done many 100 kms of dirt this trip...into Mungo, Mutawintji and Sturt N Pks in NSW, also to Cameron Corner, then into Qld via Warri Gate and the track through Santos and Orientos Stations to the Dig Tree, (this was signposted 4WD dry weather only track when we did it), to Innamincka, plus various other dirt roads.

We are very happy with the Pajeros comfort and fuel economy...worst figure so far towing has been just over 20 litres per 100 kms into a strong head wind and usually it is around 17 litres per 100kms. The best so far is just over 15 with a strong tail wind.( We do carry water and extra diesel as we free and bush camp, use National Park campgrounds often rather than stay in Van parks and are self sufficient so we don't travel all that light but I am very conscious of keeping the van contents to a minimum.)
Have only had to put it into 4WD a couple of times.

We seem to be buying fuel a lot less often than when we had the Navara and find it much more economical, and reliable.

When we aren't towing, around home, its around 9...so we are happy with that.

For the price, there are so many extras which come as standard as well. The reversing camera is one which is useful when hitching up the van and my husband usually manages to do this himself these days.

We are very happy with it so far and although we did look at Landcruisers could not justify spending the extra money when we did not really need to.

regards,

Heather
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. John Muir

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 490279

Follow Up By: Puttingdave00 - Saturday, Jul 07, 2012 at 10:13

Saturday, Jul 07, 2012 at 10:13
Thanks Heather,
I haven't heard anything "Bad" about the Pajero and I guess if we all had heaps of money I assume we would be driving a V8 Landcruiser.
The comment below about the rear door opening is something I had not thought about.
At present I tow my Van with a 2007 Falcon Ute which is fine but lacks torque and uses approx 22 L per 100Kms, so therefore I need to get something with more torque and more efficient with fuel.
Thanks
Dave
FollowupID: 765571

Reply By: Member - Boobook - Saturday, Jul 07, 2012 at 07:00

Saturday, Jul 07, 2012 at 07:00
They are basically a great vehicle.

My only 3 comments to watch are

1)They are very noisy inside compared to say a L/R or a Prado, especially on gravel roads. They drum a lot and you hear all the road noise. Go for a drive on a gravel Rd.
2)Couple a demo one up to your caravan and try the rear door. You can't open the door at all or fully on some caravans. ( same for Prado and possibly Landrover)
3)If you have a significant down weight on your towball you will scrub tyres on the inside because the rear has independent suspension, you can sometime fix this with stiffer springs.
AnswerID: 490300

Follow Up By: Puttingdave00 - Saturday, Jul 07, 2012 at 10:05

Saturday, Jul 07, 2012 at 10:05
Thanks for the advice, especially about the rear door which may be a potential problem.

Dave
FollowupID: 765569

Follow Up By: patsproule - Saturday, Jul 07, 2012 at 13:54

Saturday, Jul 07, 2012 at 13:54
Polyairs fix the rear sag for towing purposes.
FollowupID: 765596

Reply By: Member-Heather MG NSW - Saturday, Jul 07, 2012 at 15:08

Saturday, Jul 07, 2012 at 15:08
Hi Dave,
you can get a rear wheel lift so the rear door clears the tow hitch...or ours does so we can still open the door while hitched up.
regards,
Heather
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. John Muir

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 490324

Sponsored Links