troopy steering/ the truck whisperer

Submitted: Friday, Jul 06, 2012 at 21:54
ThreadID: 96715 Views:3689 Replies:4 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
I have just watched a short video on the Truck Whisperer from the eastern part of Australia and how he improved the steering on a 2002 troopy. My 75 series has had this pulling slightly to the left for a few years now and with many alignments with only minimal success. Does anyone know the cause or have any suggestions or knowledge of a company in Perth that can do what is necessary to adjust or fix the problem?

Any ideas or help will be greatly appreciated.
Sludgie
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ross M - Friday, Jul 06, 2012 at 22:29

Friday, Jul 06, 2012 at 22:29
Unless the mechanic puts in adjustable King Pin bearings to the vehicle there is not much and alignment can alter apart from caster.

If they set it when it was relatively unloaded and you use it fairly well loaded, then the caster setting will have increased further Positive, eg Kpin leaning back more because of the rear being down on the springs.
This will give the same effect as a supermarket trolley if you push the side of it and the wheels tent to turn to the side.
On a crowned road, most are, the vehicle will gravitate to the left because the forces are pushing the Kpin to the left and the wheels will turn left. They are a caster wheel after all.

To test this you would have to travel on the wrong side of the road to see if it steers right.
If this is happening you have too much caster as a result of the initial setting of caster not allowing for the load change.

If it is not this it could be rear axle centre bolt broken and axle shiftes slightly, Front centre bolts the same story or loose/worn bushes front or back.

If the vehicle leans to one side eg left, then it might steer right because of the longer centre distance on the lhs spring leaf. This steers the axle to the right.

Has to be one of these things other than a bent chassis.
Any mechanic with a little understanding should be able to find the reason.

I hope this makes sense to you. It is simply a balance of forces. not rocket science.
Ross M
AnswerID: 490290

Follow Up By: Sludgie W.A - Saturday, Jul 07, 2012 at 09:05

Saturday, Jul 07, 2012 at 09:05
Thanks for the reply Ross, in the course of asking this question I was wondering whether my front leaf springs were due for resetting or if a front/ rear alignment may help. I just can't remember when I first noticed the problem.

Sludgie
FollowupID: 765553

Reply By: ReCon - Saturday, Jul 07, 2012 at 01:32

Saturday, Jul 07, 2012 at 01:32
My '75 never pulled left until I replaced the tyres a month ago and the co. did the alignment.

They mentioned that the vehicle will pull left as a result of vehicle manufacturing issues [?] , including misalignment of certain welds in the rear of the vehicle , or something to do with steering telemetry.

I would like to elaborate for you , but I was paying only half the attention that I should have due to other things booked in to be done on the same day.

All I know is that she does pull left quite noticeably , but seems to straighten up on the right hand side of the road or if on a very low camber section. It also seems ok when bus van is loaded.

When I replaced the rubber , I noticed that the fronts of the old set were very scrubbed, so i guess they were aligned to drive 'correctly'.
AnswerID: 490297

Follow Up By: Sludgie W.A - Saturday, Jul 07, 2012 at 09:09

Saturday, Jul 07, 2012 at 09:09
Hello Recon, the tyres and alignment were the first things done, there was no damage at all to the tyres. I think as you mentioned this may be something to do with the steering telemetry or a miss alignment with the front and rear. Thanks for your reply.

Sludgie
FollowupID: 765555

Follow Up By: Ross M - Saturday, Jul 07, 2012 at 14:59

Saturday, Jul 07, 2012 at 14:59
I think we are talking about steering geometry, telemetry being a radio signal transmission of data.

If every thing at the rear is in good order then there is nothing to align at the rear and no changes can be made.

If it steering changes when you drive on the rhs and it goes right, and straight on an uncambered road then the caster setting of the front axle is too much.
You can't have too little either as it will become twitchy. This is done by an angle wedge between the axle and the spring or on later models with eccentric bushes fitted in the leading arms.

ReCon, if your front tyres were scrubbed it would indicate incorrect toe in setting.

If spring hanger brackets on the vehicle were welded on the wrong position it would mean all that model would be wearing their tyres abnormally as they are made in the same jig at the factory.
FollowupID: 765599

Follow Up By: Sludgie W.A - Saturday, Jul 07, 2012 at 15:08

Saturday, Jul 07, 2012 at 15:08
Thanks Ross, I stand corrected. Steering geometry is the word I should have used.

I will have another look at the caster angle.
Sludgie.
FollowupID: 765601

Reply By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Saturday, Jul 07, 2012 at 18:57

Saturday, Jul 07, 2012 at 18:57
Mate I'm surprised you didn't phone and said it's only happened since I've driven your car. LOL.

Didn't you get a realignment when you had the new suspension fitted?
Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 490342

Reply By: ronniejet - Sunday, Jul 08, 2012 at 14:50

Sunday, Jul 08, 2012 at 14:50
G-Day Sludgie after many wheel alignments at various places , and scrubbing out front tyres I was told about the truck whisperer in a free camp in WA.by a bloke. who had his troopy dealt with by the truck whisperer ,and when we were passing through Benella VIC.,I took my 2008 hilux 4x4 to the truck whisperer. and I have now done 30,000klms the difference it has made to my hilux is amazing ,no more scrubbing tyres no more wandering over the road .i believe the truck whisperer man goes to PERTH on a yearly basis. best money i ever spent and good luck.
AnswerID: 490404

Follow Up By: Sludgie W.A - Sunday, Jul 08, 2012 at 18:47

Sunday, Jul 08, 2012 at 18:47
Thanks ronniejet, I have now emailed the truck whisperer for further information because I am not happy with the work done on the troopy so far.

Sludgie
FollowupID: 765757

Sponsored Links