SensaTyre 2 Monitior System

Submitted: Sunday, Jul 08, 2012 at 08:58
ThreadID: 96740 Views:2914 Replies:3 FollowUps:13
This Thread has been Archived
Have just completed a trip from Alice Springs to Toowoomba with the new sensatyre 2 system without any tyre dramas. This system is great as soon as you turn the car on you can get your tyre preasures for both the car and van. I had sensatyre 1 and decided to upgrade after completing 50000ks trouble free with that system. Give Hannibal a call ask for Peter. I have no connection with this company.
200 Series V8 Diesel
Thanks for the Rest Flying West and Flying Very Low along the track not coming back. The Crow

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Robert H2 - Sunday, Jul 08, 2012 at 09:07

Sunday, Jul 08, 2012 at 09:07
I,m considering this system for when we get our caravan early next year. We took delivery of a 200Series (Altitude) earlier this year and I'm currently fitting it out. Can you tell me where you mounted the Sensatyre monitor in the car. Do you have the transmitters that are mounted inside the tyre (wrapped around the rim)?
AnswerID: 490370

Reply By: Member - The Crow (QLD) - Sunday, Jul 08, 2012 at 09:17

Sunday, Jul 08, 2012 at 09:17
Yer they are mounted on the inside of the tyre using a large stainless steel screw clamps. I have a receiver between the axles on the van and one near the transfer case on the cruiser. I have mounted the monitor in front of the ashtray using velcro and hard wired it into the ignition system.
200 Series V8 Diesel
Thanks for the Rest Flying West and Flying Very Low along the track not coming back. The Crow

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 490374

Follow Up By: Robert H2 - Sunday, Jul 08, 2012 at 09:34

Sunday, Jul 08, 2012 at 09:34
Thank you. This is the location for the monitor I have been considering. I note that you also have a scangauge. Where did you mount this unit in the car and do you find it useful? We are currently using the car for camping with a 60l ARB fidge and camp lightings. Not sure if I should install an aux battery or split the existing two batteries in the car with an isolator. I note you have a Redarc duel batter controller, is this for an aux battery in your car or for charging a battery system in van?
FollowupID: 765668

Follow Up By: Member - The Crow (QLD) - Sunday, Jul 08, 2012 at 10:07

Sunday, Jul 08, 2012 at 10:07
The scanguage is great, mine is the old software it does not monitor the Auto temp so I am looking to upgrade it as well. I split my Batteries with this system and put 700CCA batteries in place of the factory ones. The system also assists the solar panels on the van to charge the van batteries. The van has 3x105amp/hr AGM batteries.
200 Series V8 Diesel

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 765671

Follow Up By: Robert H2 - Sunday, Jul 08, 2012 at 10:44

Sunday, Jul 08, 2012 at 10:44
I was looking at mounting the scanguage11 on the steering column but it has the microphone for the handsfree phone operation there, so not sure if it will fit. No sure where else to mount it as I don't want it on top of the dash.
With your sensatyre system, have you had any problems with receiving a signal from the tyre s (no reading on the monitor) or spurious signals i.e. warning alarms or lights going off indication a problem, but when you stop and check you can find any faults?
FollowupID: 765676

Follow Up By: Member - The Crow (QLD) - Sunday, Jul 08, 2012 at 11:14

Sunday, Jul 08, 2012 at 11:14
Mounted scanguage on dash near right windscreen pillar. I have had no problems with either of the sensatyre systems that I have used I just wanted to get the latest software thats why I upgraded. I intend to do that with scanguage as well.
200 Series V8 Diesel

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 765683

Follow Up By: Robert H2 - Sunday, Jul 08, 2012 at 11:43

Sunday, Jul 08, 2012 at 11:43
Thank you very much, this has been very helpful for me.
FollowupID: 765688

Follow Up By: Member - Captain (WA) - Sunday, Jul 08, 2012 at 11:51

Sunday, Jul 08, 2012 at 11:51
Another place to mount the scanguage is on the rearview mirror, I have mine there, along with my EGT temp guage.

Cheers

Captain
FollowupID: 765689

Follow Up By: Robert H2 - Sunday, Jul 08, 2012 at 19:12

Sunday, Jul 08, 2012 at 19:12
Captain,
This looks like a neat installation. How do you run (more correctly what is the route for) the connection cable from the unit in this position to the OBD connection. I believe this plug is located at the bottom of the panel directly below the steering column? I'm particularly interested in readouts for fuel consumption (both instantaneous and average), what features of the scangauge do you find the most useful?
Sorry to impose on the Crows forum, but I noticed that you also drive a 200series, could you tell me how you configured you battery system to accommodate auxiliary loads.
FollowupID: 765758

Follow Up By: Member - Captain (WA) - Monday, Jul 09, 2012 at 10:45

Monday, Jul 09, 2012 at 10:45
Hi Robert,

The OBD connector is indeed under the steering wheel area. I ran a cable up the A pillar, just need to ensure it runs behind the airbag that is in there. Can email pics if you like. Also, the cable needs to be extended but it uses a standard RJ45(?) connector, same as a telephone joiner. Have included in the email your other questions.

Cheers

Captain
FollowupID: 765803

Follow Up By: Robert H2 - Monday, Jul 09, 2012 at 16:51

Monday, Jul 09, 2012 at 16:51
Hi Captain,
A few photos of the installation would be helpful to see how you mounted the gauges. Did you attach to the rear vision mirror support or velcro to the top of the windscreen?

Thanks for the e-mail with answers to my many questions. I just have to digest all the information I have received from lots of people, make a decision on what I want to do and then "just do it".

All the best

Rob

FollowupID: 765835

Reply By: PJR (NSW) - Monday, Jul 09, 2012 at 18:44

Monday, Jul 09, 2012 at 18:44
We have two sets of five rims. One set has all terrain tyres on it and the other set has muddies. We would need two sets of sensors.

Do you know if you can you get two sets of five senders that work to the one receiver or display unit?
AnswerID: 490500

Follow Up By: Robert H2 - Tuesday, Jul 10, 2012 at 08:50

Tuesday, Jul 10, 2012 at 08:50
PJR,
My understanding is that your can buy a monitor that will receive a signal from up to 14 transmitters i.e.14 different wheels.
The trick is you must know which transmitter is mounted in which rim. So for the internally mounted transmitters you must be able to identify each wheel. For the transmitters mounted on the valve cap, the caps can just be transferred to the rims in use.
For the internal transmitters (which is what I have chosen) I intend to glue a small identity tag on the outside of each rim and when the transmitter is fixed inside at the time of putting the tyre on the rim, record the transmitter number that corresponds to that rim number.
When you change wheels it is just a matter of adjusting the monitor in the car to pick up the signal from the rims you have fitted. The monitor will also indicate the location of that rim on the car.
Trust this helps
Rob
FollowupID: 765884

Follow Up By: PJR (NSW) - Tuesday, Jul 10, 2012 at 09:32

Tuesday, Jul 10, 2012 at 09:32
Thanks for that Rob. Something to look at when we get a new set.

I don't think I would tag mine. The two sets will never be mixed.

I would have them mounted inside as well. I wouldn't want them getting knocked off when off road. We do a lot of off road in the high country.

Does it have an audible alarm?

I do not want stuff in my vision. I cannot stand driving anything with stuff stuck to the windsceen or mounted on the dash impeeding my vision. If it has an audible alarm then it could be mounted out of sight or even in the console or glovebox. This is also why our GPS is mounted in the dash.
FollowupID: 765888

Follow Up By: Robert H2 - Tuesday, Jul 10, 2012 at 13:45

Tuesday, Jul 10, 2012 at 13:45
PJR,

I don't like stuff on top of the dash or stuck to the windscreen either. I will mount the monitor via double sided velcro to the face of the ash tray. This location also makes it easier to feed the cable from under the car through the firewall to the monitor. The monitor has an audible alarm as well a readout for tyre pressure and temperature. The alarm can be set for both temp and pressure range. When you change tyre pressure (air down) you adjust the range of the alarms for the new settings.
You will need to the number the rims as without this you will not be able to set the tyre location on the monitor, so when the alarm goes off you will not know which tyre is triggering the alarm. When the system is installed the supplier will number you wheels from 1 - 10. These numbers will appear on the monitor and be located on the screen to show where wheel is placed on the car. For the set wheels not being used the monitor just show al lot of question marks (???)
Coincidently our next trip is to the Victorian High country
All the best
Rob
FollowupID: 765903

Follow Up By: PJR (NSW) - Tuesday, Jul 10, 2012 at 14:04

Tuesday, Jul 10, 2012 at 14:04
I am not worried about which tyre is in trouble. Just an alarm to say there is a problem is all I need. I can soon tell by looking at or touching the tyres. Maybe something simpler would be better for us.

Saw an article on TV about a man in the states who was just taking delivery of his new car. Someone from the dealership was in the car with him rattling off all the features of the in-dash computer.

All this bloke wanted was to drive to the shops or work. Bugger all the other stuff. I am a bit like that. I woldnt even use it here if I had it.

Thanks mate. We shall see where the water runs as far as the sensors go. ast flat was in the early 80's I think.

Aside from that, is this where you are going. Looking out the front at the Snowys. Eat your heart out.

FollowupID: 765905

Sponsored Links