Toilet Cassette

Submitted: Sunday, Jul 08, 2012 at 10:55
ThreadID: 96743 Views:1885 Replies:6 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Our van came with fitting instructions (which we don't need as ITS FITTED!!), but no other user instructions. I was just trying to find out how the cassette should be left if the van isn't going to be used for 5-6 weeks or longer? Should the cassette be left full with water or completely empty?
Cheers guys and gals.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Vern (North Haven SA) - Sunday, Jul 08, 2012 at 11:21

Sunday, Jul 08, 2012 at 11:21
Hello Phill

I am not 100% sure on how to leave the cassette either as I never had the instruction at all. I and all members of the caravan club that I belong to just ensure we give the cassette a good hose out when we empty it. This seems to work fine.
But also interested in others thought.

Cheers Vern
AnswerID: 490389

Follow Up By: Member - Redbakk (WA) - Sunday, Jul 08, 2012 at 11:52

Sunday, Jul 08, 2012 at 11:52
Totally agree with Vern, we flush it out and leave it empty when not in use, recharge it before you go.
Also apply a little olive oil to the seals from time to time to keep them soft, when you have it out you can open the flap to access the seal by turning the actuator knob, just turn it back before you put it back in.

Loved your blog mate, great reading. Question, when you were around Mt Augustus and Cobra, see any other vans, and were they of the standard road type, or all offroaders ?
FollowupID: 765691

Follow Up By: Member - Arsenal Phill - Sunday, Jul 08, 2012 at 14:11

Sunday, Jul 08, 2012 at 14:11
Hi Rebakk
Just on here for a quick check to this question as I wanted to see if I got an answer before I put the van back in her spot. Once she's parked up, I can't get to the toilet cassette. I've just spent all yesterday and half of today, cleaning her up and removingg the red dust. WHAT A JOB!!!
Will answer your query later this arvo when I get time to finally put my feet up.
Cheers
FollowupID: 765717

Follow Up By: Member - Arsenal Phill - Sunday, Jul 08, 2012 at 16:27

Sunday, Jul 08, 2012 at 16:27
Hi Redbakk
Thanks for taking the time to read my blog. I haven't done many and wasn't sure if it was too long winded. I found it a nice diversion within my holiday and felt it was a excellent way to spend some time in my relaxation mode.
To be fair we didn't see any vans at all enroute from Meeka to Cobra, nor Cobra to Minilaya. We passed two camper trailers on way to Minilaya and a Motorhome, that was it. At Cobra we were the only people visiting. We went to Mount Augustus Caravan Park and there were a couple of trailers in there but didn't see any vans.
If you are looking for advice on suitability or road conditions I can offer the following.
From Meeka to Mount Augustus/Cobra, you'd be Ok with Semi-off road van. A soft roader would maybe be ok if taken really easy. I wouldn't use either of these types from Cobra to Minilaya using the Lyndon Minnie Creek Road.
We trod really carefully and our van has fully independant. We experienced no damage other than a stone hitting the tap on the water tank.
Unfortunately for some it is a question of time over suitability over desire. We thought it was well worth a visit and will be going back.
FollowupID: 765739

Follow Up By: Member - Redbakk (WA) - Sunday, Jul 08, 2012 at 16:54

Sunday, Jul 08, 2012 at 16:54
Thank you very much, yes I was curious to know if there were others.

The reference to the red dust, was that inside or outside or both, there has been a lot of discussion on this subject lately.
FollowupID: 765745

Reply By: Motherhen - Sunday, Jul 08, 2012 at 12:49

Sunday, Jul 08, 2012 at 12:49
Hi Phill

I usually leave ours with the litre of water and sodium percarbonate solution (as per my blog for those who don't know what i am talking about), as i put this in after emptying. If we do empty it at home (depends on where we have been travelling and the need for use as we use ours only when necessary) it gets the usual hosing rinse and is left empty. I spray the seal occasionally with Silicon spray as per the instructions - like when i find it won't open after sitting idle for two or three years.

Motherhen

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 490397

Follow Up By: Grumblebum and the Dragon - Sunday, Jul 08, 2012 at 13:56

Sunday, Jul 08, 2012 at 13:56
If you have been using some of the commercial products you may get 'furring' and an unpleasant odour inside the cassette. To totally clean and remove any 'furring' mix about four heaped tablespoonfuls of sodium Percarbone in warm water mix thoroughly tip into the cassette and the full to the brim - leave it for at least 12 hours (longer is better) shaking occassionall.

Empty and hose out. The tank internals will be spotlessly clean and have a pleasant odour.

Sodium Percarbonate is the active ingrediant in most of the 'home brand' version of Nappisan. Do not buy the branded product, it is three times the price and only contains 24% instead of 34% of the active ingrediant - Go figure.

About every three months I remove the top of my cassette (402C) and liberally pour OLIVE OIL over the working parts and also lubricate the seal as well this keeps the opening/closing action super smooth.

John
FollowupID: 765709

Reply By: Member - Arsenal Phill - Sunday, Jul 08, 2012 at 14:15

Sunday, Jul 08, 2012 at 14:15
Thanks all for the input. My initial decision was to leave it empty. It is always thoroughly flushed out and cleaned once home. We use Motherhens ways now and don't use the powerful commercial toilet chemicals.
I was just curious yesterday when I went to put it back in the van as to whether the seals etc. would be affected if they were dry for too long. Now I've finished all my cleaning and about to put the van back in her park up place, I shalln't be able to access the cassette again until I move her out. So was just wanting to satisfy my curiousity before being in said position!!! LOL
Thanks again all. Appreciated as always.
AnswerID: 490402

Follow Up By: Aandy(WA) - Sunday, Jul 08, 2012 at 22:27

Sunday, Jul 08, 2012 at 22:27
Just an observation and comment on your post regarding cassette treatment. Sodium per carbonate is both commercially produced and powerful. Don't get it in your eyes. Don't ingest it and use gloves when handling it. It is a chemical compound of peroxide and bicarbonate of soda so you can also bleach your hair or make scones with it :))
FollowupID: 765777

Reply By: Member - baffle (QLD) - Sunday, Jul 08, 2012 at 17:43

Sunday, Jul 08, 2012 at 17:43
"no other user instructions." I would imagine you have to sit on it and go from there!!!
Sorry, but I could not resist.
Bruce
AnswerID: 490419

Follow Up By: Member - Arsenal Phill - Sunday, Jul 08, 2012 at 21:58

Sunday, Jul 08, 2012 at 21:58
LOL
FollowupID: 765774

Reply By: Member -Dodger - Sunday, Jul 08, 2012 at 17:50

Sunday, Jul 08, 2012 at 17:50
Rinse it out thoroughly apply a little olive oil to the seals and store mt.
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

Cheers Dodg.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 490421

Reply By: Member - Toyocrusa (NSW) - Sunday, Jul 08, 2012 at 20:20

Sunday, Jul 08, 2012 at 20:20
Just checking if this is "part 2" of the towball question.lol. Bob
AnswerID: 490429

Sponsored Links