Loose haymen Tow hitch

Submitted: Sunday, Jul 08, 2012 at 14:28
ThreadID: 96746 Views:3491 Replies:4 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Last year I travelled all the way around the paddock without a load stabiliser on my Ford Ranger towing a single axle 17ft Millard caravan. 4 months ago I fitted a load leveller and since then I have noticed the towing tongue has become loose several times requiring me to tighten the locking bolt to remove slack in the hitch. Has anyone else experinced this? Could it be the load levellers causing the problem and if so does anyone have suggested remedies? I have only being doing short trips 400-500km max since fitting the stabiliser.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Arsenal Phill - Sunday, Jul 08, 2012 at 15:30

Sunday, Jul 08, 2012 at 15:30
Colin, it is funny that you have posted this today. I have entered a post this morning regarding a towball issue and it all started for the very same reason you are questioning here now.
I also found what I considered to be excessive movement in my WDH and checked with other vanners. One guy said that is was more than he'd have expected but OK, the other guy independantly said also that it was ok.
I personally don't see how it can be, as if the hitch is moving laterally, then surely there is no way that the van can remain stable under tow.
Not being an engineer or experienced in said matters, I can't say one way or other whether its ok or not.
AnswerID: 490410

Reply By: Steve M1 (NSW) - Sunday, Jul 08, 2012 at 15:41

Sunday, Jul 08, 2012 at 15:41
here you go guys: http://caravanersforum.com/index.php?sid=ee7c153421934edbb1ee2ac347ec36ac

either do a topic search on there or join and ask the question. Be prepared for a bunch of old farts trying to outdo each other - I got jumped upon for daring to suggest towing without a wdh. In fac, I'veprobably just invited more of the same. Where's my hard hat?
AnswerID: 490411

Follow Up By: Member - colin M- Sunday, Jul 08, 2012 at 15:58

Sunday, Jul 08, 2012 at 15:58
Thanks Steve. I have just spent 1/2 hour on their site and agree with your comments there appears to be such a wide range of opinions, I even read the coroners reports they refered to and am still in the dark I will keep reading and go and see a few tow bar experts on the Gold Coast to see if I can reach a decision on whether to leave it on or take it off.
FollowupID: 765735

Follow Up By: Member - Arsenal Phill - Sunday, Jul 08, 2012 at 16:07

Sunday, Jul 08, 2012 at 16:07
Steve glad to see that someone on here can retain a sense of humour. I apprecitate that some questions are serious etc. but bloody hell, some people's responses seem almost `spiteful' for want of a better word. I wonder if they are just trying to prick a reaction??? I've read posts that seem genuine enough, then some people seem to jump on there and just want to slag and bag each other and get right into it....
Where's the sense in that????
Not ever answer can be correct, nor opinion, universal. Opinions should be accepted as such and not used as a rock to throw back at someone......
FollowupID: 765736

Follow Up By: Steve M1 (NSW) - Sunday, Jul 08, 2012 at 17:39

Sunday, Jul 08, 2012 at 17:39
The great thing about these forums is that usually, you get a few replies from different angles, each giving a different perspective, some true/appropriate and some not. Eventually, the truth is usually distilled and we hopefully end up with the right answer. Unfortunately, some guys forget themselves a bit and go a bit OTT. Shame really, but don't let it put you off because you'll learn heaps on these forums and end up giving advice out yourself (if you're not already doing so) Funny thing is, there was at least one bloke on your thread who I have the highest regard for and was surprised at his response. Just put it down to a bad day and good luck with your query (both of you)

cheers
Steve
FollowupID: 765746

Follow Up By: Member - Peter H1 (NSW) - Sunday, Jul 08, 2012 at 17:59

Sunday, Jul 08, 2012 at 17:59
I would suggest that you read Collyn Rivers comments on WDH either on Caravaners Forum, CMCA forum or in one of the RV mags he wrote a story in.
FollowupID: 765750

Follow Up By: Member - Arsenal Phill - Sunday, Jul 08, 2012 at 19:54

Sunday, Jul 08, 2012 at 19:54
Don't worry Steve, it doesn't put me off. I am relatively new to this site and the forums. I am slowly, very slowly starting to learn how things work. I think some of my problem is my language. Maybe its an English thing? Our words and the way we put things may get lost in translation in the written word, so as to speak. It is not the first time I've asked what I thought was a straight forward question and people have misinterrpretted it. We all speak English but can use it in different ways.

I think in this case I should have phrased the question differently. I was just wanting frank, uncomplicated answers. As I've posted later in the thread, it was a kind of info gathering session. I wasn't asking people for approval etc. I KNOW I WOULDN'T be putting a 3 tonne van on a 2000kg ball.

If I went into too much detail at the start I wouldn't get the answers I was hoping for. I am a novice when it comes to towing and caravaning. I am not a stupid person and have a degree of intelligence. At this point in the story, I wasn't prepared to go forward based on just what ` I believed' to be correct. I was therefore canvassing opinion to back up my own chain of thought.

Now it unfortunately seems that people have me down as some kind of numb nut, with zero brain cells. Oh well them's the breaks. Again, my fault possibly for the way I have approached the situation. I just didn't want to asking leading questions by fluffing it out and therefore possibly not getting untainted or prejudice answers. Does that make any sense???
FollowupID: 765762

Follow Up By: Member - Rod N (QLD) - Sunday, Jul 08, 2012 at 20:08

Sunday, Jul 08, 2012 at 20:08
This thread seems to have got rather confusing.
I thought it was about a loose hitch in the receiver and suddenly it became about WDH and now it's about the subject of another thread about capacity of tow balls.
Lets get back to the OP.
FollowupID: 765764

Reply By: Member - Rod N (QLD) - Sunday, Jul 08, 2012 at 17:14

Sunday, Jul 08, 2012 at 17:14
Have a look at the Quiet Hitch thread on Caravaners Forum.
It has been suggested that the bolt on the side of the hitch is only to stop rattles when not towing.
AnswerID: 490414

Reply By: Dion - Sunday, Jul 08, 2012 at 22:58

Sunday, Jul 08, 2012 at 22:58
I no longer use that bolt, I've discarded them.
When they are used and doing their job so that the hitch doesnt rattle or move in the receiver, this promotes dirt, grime and moisture getting in there. The first time I went to remove the hitch, it took 30 minutes with a 10lb sledge hammer to persuade it out.
Since then, after discarding the anti rattle bolt, I know if it's a rattling, I wont be battling to get it out.

Cheers,
Dion.
AnswerID: 490442

Follow Up By: Member - colin M- Saturday, Jul 14, 2012 at 11:46

Saturday, Jul 14, 2012 at 11:46
Thanks Dion and Rod for coming back to the topic.
Since my original posting I have followed up the websites suggested and took the time to visit my local Hayman Reece expert ( been fitting them for 30 Years)
He confirmed what you have both said about the bolt is correct it is only an anti rattle device to be tightened when unloaded or lightly loaded, with the van on he suggested slacking it off.
I pick up my van from the upholster this week so look forward to seeing how it tows with the bolt in this position.

This closes the topic for me thanks again for all the comments.

Colin
FollowupID: 766293

Sponsored Links