Hay River (2)

I have just returned from a trip which included a south to north traverse of the Hay River track, and thought some may wish to get some feedback.
The track is well worn and very easy to follow - except where it exits the Hay River bed at the Lake Caroline intersection. We didn't get lost but there were many confused tracks heading off in all directions.
The track (middle sections) follows a slightly different path to that from a few years ago when I was last up that way.
The track is VERY overgrown in the middle sections. Lindsay Bookie (now permanently at Batton Hill following his resignation from the Central Land Council) explained that the fires from a few years ago have stimulated regrowth. Suffice to say that if you are precious about your paint work then you will be disappointed.
The track is rough (by my standard) and winds constantly through the Acacia regrowth - many turns in my Troopy were full lock!! Most of the middle section was in second gear.
No difficult bits technically - sand dunes are easy to traverse, and the track was bone dry the whole length.
I averaged 14L/100km between Birdsville and Boulia and used 164L of fuel.
The country is very vegetated and certainly different from 2007 when the vistas were all of the red sand hills. Now the views are of Acacia fields and spinifex.
To anyone going that way soon - have a great time.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - eighty matey - Tuesday, Jul 10, 2012 at 18:43

Tuesday, Jul 10, 2012 at 18:43
Thanks for the report Keith.

We were thinking of heading out there this year but I think we're going to spend as much time in the Kimberley as we can, I think.

Glad you had a good trip. The rains have changed everything for a while.

Hoo roo,
Steve
AnswerID: 490585

Reply By: Crackles - Tuesday, Jul 10, 2012 at 19:29

Tuesday, Jul 10, 2012 at 19:29
Thanks Keith for the great feedback on track conditions. It's certainly something the site has been lacking of late.
We're heading up in late August & will look forward to the different conditions this season. How many hours travelling would you estimate it took from Birdsville to Batton Hill as we haven't done the section from Poepels to the Madigan?
Cheers Craig........
AnswerID: 490590

Follow Up By: Member - Keith B (QLD) - Tuesday, Jul 10, 2012 at 20:19

Tuesday, Jul 10, 2012 at 20:19
Craig,
We took 7 days from Birdsville to Boulia; 6 days to Batton Hill.
We travelled from about 10 am to 4 pm each day. We had our two young kids with us so we stopped for a lot for breaks - roll down the, games of cricket, fly the kite (you know the kind of stuff!!!!). The kids did those things as well.
We camped about a third of the way between Eyre Ck and K1, then 50 km up the track from the K1 intersection; then near the black stump/eagle's nest, then about 15 km north of the midden; then 15 km north of the Lake Caroline intersection; then Batton Hill.
It would be possible to go a bit faster but that defeats the purpose I guess. I would have loved to go slower but like everyone we had to get back for work etc.
Keith
FollowupID: 765950

Follow Up By: Crackles - Tuesday, Jul 10, 2012 at 23:30

Tuesday, Jul 10, 2012 at 23:30
A nice liesurely tour for sure. Unfortunately we have a tighter schedule but with no kids will be on the trail a bit earlier. Being my 1st big run in a petrol it will be interesting to see the consumption difference compared to you.
Thanks again.......Craig.
FollowupID: 765973

Reply By: jaxanddross - Friday, Jul 20, 2012 at 13:48

Friday, Jul 20, 2012 at 13:48
Many thanks for this info Keith.
We are joining another couple and are starting the treck from Jervois, south, on Monday 23rd July 2012.
We both have Troopies.
We have the permits, and are booked to do the "Bush Tucker Tour"

With your imput and the treck notes etc, we are looking forward to a great few days (?) to get to Birdsville.
AnswerID: 491303

Sponsored Links