cameras

Submitted: Tuesday, Jul 10, 2012 at 12:13
ThreadID: 96789 Views:3149 Replies:21 FollowUps:36
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all you travellers, I am thinking of buying a Nikon 5100d dslr camera, I have done some research on them and a few other camers and it seems to fit the bill for the type of photography that I wish to pursue, has any one got any info on them or is currently using one if you are, could you please let me know what your opinion is of this camera. thank you .
Broodie H3
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Gone Bush (WA) - Tuesday, Jul 10, 2012 at 12:17

Tuesday, Jul 10, 2012 at 12:17
Broodie, may I suggest something?

Check to see if it can take photos in 16X9 aspect ratio.

I put all my photos on a thumbdrive and plug it into my TV and run it as a slideshow. 16X9 means the whole screen is used.

If the Nikon can't do that, have a look at the range of Sony DSLRs.

Cheers

I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 490553

Follow Up By: get outmore - Tuesday, Jul 10, 2012 at 12:23

Tuesday, Jul 10, 2012 at 12:23
how does it achieve that though? my camera can do widescreen but its at the expense od resolution as it crops out parts of the sensor. making it a bit pointless.
I believe some cameras can heve different aspects without reducing resolution by using an oversized sensor
FollowupID: 765894

Follow Up By: Member - Broodie H3 - Tuesday, Jul 10, 2012 at 12:25

Tuesday, Jul 10, 2012 at 12:25
Hi gone bush , it does do 16x9, and it does video recording as well as still pictures, but I shall check out the Sony's as well thanks for that. More info the better.
Broodie H3
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 765895

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Tuesday, Jul 10, 2012 at 12:31

Tuesday, Jul 10, 2012 at 12:31
One other suggestion Broodie.

check to see if it can take panorama shots automatically, ie, no pc or software is needed.

Sometimes it's just what is required to produce a good shot.

Image Could Not Be Found

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 765896

Follow Up By: Member - Broodie H3 - Tuesday, Jul 10, 2012 at 12:40

Tuesday, Jul 10, 2012 at 12:40
I believe that it requires another lens to do that maybe some one else can clarify that but I don't know
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 765899

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Tuesday, Jul 10, 2012 at 13:44

Tuesday, Jul 10, 2012 at 13:44
On my Sony you just select that function and then move the camera from left to right, no lens issues. I would think that if the Nikon has that function it would operate the same way.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 765902

Reply By: get outmore - Tuesday, Jul 10, 2012 at 12:28

Tuesday, Jul 10, 2012 at 12:28
I think the days of even averadge cameras have gone. Sure they might bring out better ones but your really splitting hairs these days unless your a top line proffesional

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond5100/22
AnswerID: 490554

Follow Up By: Member - Broodie H3 - Tuesday, Jul 10, 2012 at 12:36

Tuesday, Jul 10, 2012 at 12:36
that is what I am currently thinking just about all the cameras that I have researched can all do the same thing,which is take quality pictures, but this is what I am finding some are more difficult to use than others, My choices have come down to three brands Nikon Sony and cannon as they seem to be the easiest to use.
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 765898

Reply By: hazo - Tuesday, Jul 10, 2012 at 13:11

Tuesday, Jul 10, 2012 at 13:11
Broodie

I went through this exercise last year and as said most camera's in a similar range, nowadays are pretty good.

The advice I finally followed was to go and "feel" the camera's in a store, also look for things like lens mounts (eg plastic or metal) lens availability for required shots you like shooting.

My original choice was the Nikon ,Cannon, Sony but eventually I went for a Pentax K5 with 18-135 zoom lens !

It just felt right in my hands does what I wanted it to do and I just love it the more I use it.
AnswerID: 490557

Follow Up By: Member - Broodie H3 - Tuesday, Jul 10, 2012 at 13:46

Tuesday, Jul 10, 2012 at 13:46
I have had a look at the pentax and thought some of the controls and buttons made it too complicated for me to use, I am a complete novice when it come s to photography, and that is what is swaying me away from the cannon, after having a look at them in the local camera shop. As the wife says make sure because it will be your last camera. So I have put the question out in travel country because I think most of us travellers, do take quality Photo's, with the type of cameras, that I am contemplating, in saying that , I take your point, thank you
Broodie H3
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 765904

Reply By: Gone Bush (WA) - Tuesday, Jul 10, 2012 at 13:58

Tuesday, Jul 10, 2012 at 13:58
Broodie,

just to throw your search into total confusion, I use a Sony HX9V when travelling overseas or when a small camera is needed.

It is, I believe, a pocket camera with SLR features.

There is a new HX20V which has replaced it.

If you look at my blog GB in a BT all the photos taken on the trip to Norway were taken with that small Sony, including the panoramas.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 490560

Follow Up By: Member - Broodie H3 - Tuesday, Jul 10, 2012 at 14:31

Tuesday, Jul 10, 2012 at 14:31
Gone bush, Thank you for that,throwing me into me confusion [lol] what great photos, We have a Sony cyber shot at the moment but when it comes to taking photos of fine things like plants and birds on the wing it leaves a great deal to be desired, in saying that the camera is 17 years old, the love of my life bought it Singapore on our way through to Europe as we had no camera, and the last camera that I had before that was a Ziess 35mm slr, and we lost that in Cyclone Tracy in 74, I brought that in Singapore on my last trip up top before discharge, also in 74 so for me I am realy trying to catch up on the world of photography again, and so much has changed. but thanks again for sharing the wonderful photos.
Regards Broodie H3
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 765909

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Tuesday, Jul 10, 2012 at 14:43

Tuesday, Jul 10, 2012 at 14:43
Here is one of a sea eagle after it picked up a fish in a fjord.

Image Could Not Be Found

The HX9V was set to take 10 photos per second.

Anyway, I know I'm putting a whole lot of info in front of you. Good luck with your research.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 765911

Follow Up By: Member - Broodie H3 - Tuesday, Jul 10, 2012 at 14:51

Tuesday, Jul 10, 2012 at 14:51
that shot would be blurred on our current camera
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 765912

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Tuesday, Jul 10, 2012 at 14:55

Tuesday, Jul 10, 2012 at 14:55
It's a little blurred there too. It's cropped from a bigger picture.

It was so cold my fingers had stopped working and my breath was fogging my glasses.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 765914

Reply By: thepunter - Tuesday, Jul 10, 2012 at 14:13

Tuesday, Jul 10, 2012 at 14:13
Hi,

I have an outdated Nikon D90 and still love it.

Check out Ken Rockwell's review.
Ken Rockwell

People tend to love or hate this guy but in my opinion he does do some good Nikon reviews.

Regards,
David.
AnswerID: 490561

Follow Up By: Member - Broodie H3 - Tuesday, Jul 10, 2012 at 14:54

Tuesday, Jul 10, 2012 at 14:54
I have just checked it out and for a novice like me he makes a lot of sense when it comes to amatures, and he appears to know the product well, thank you for that.
Regards
Broodie H3
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 765913

Reply By: Member - Captain (WA) - Tuesday, Jul 10, 2012 at 15:58

Tuesday, Jul 10, 2012 at 15:58
Hi Broodie,

I have the Nikon D5000, the older version of the 5100. This was my first DSLR camera and a great choice IMHO amongst a raft of similair cameras. I have the Nikon 18-55 and 55-200 lenses and this covers virtually all my needs. It takes a great shot and you can use it from full auto to full manual as you progress.

Interestingly, I still use my Olympus Tough more than the Nikon! The Olympus lives in my pocket so is always on hand and great for taking the more candid shots and would take like 80% of all my shots. While the Nikon lives in a slingshot bag, I tend to only grab it for scenery of set shots.

While I wouldn't be without my Nikon now, I am suprised how much I still use the Olympus. But must admit when I get to look at the pics I often say I wish I took that one with the Nikon, the quality is that much better.

Cheer

Captain
AnswerID: 490565

Follow Up By: Member - Broodie H3 - Wednesday, Jul 11, 2012 at 11:51

Wednesday, Jul 11, 2012 at 11:51
No matter what we buy I think we shall still take our small camera with us for the happy snaps. Thanking you for your input.
Broodie H3
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 765991

Reply By: Member - Cruiser74 - Tuesday, Jul 10, 2012 at 16:31

Tuesday, Jul 10, 2012 at 16:31
Hi Broodie,

It's a great entry level DSLR. I am personally a Canon man because I prefer the user interface and I love the Canon range of lenses for reasons I won't bore you with here but it is much of a muchness really. Nissan/Toyota, Potato/Potarto! The only thing I would say about the Canon equivalent to this camera (from memory the 600D) is that it produces brighter/contrastier JPEG's straight out of the camera. It's actually a fairly significant difference however if you are shooting manually this can be easily compensated for.

What you have to ask yourself is what you want to get out of your Photography. If you want to learn the finer points and learn how to shoot manually including learning how to take long exposures including moving water, lightning and night exposures then steer clear of the point and shoot style cameras. Some of the newer ones have some fantastic functions but you simply do not have the control you will find with a DSLR. I took these shots recently in the Pilbara with a Canon 5DmkII which is basically a scaled up version of a 60D withy more functions and a full frame sensor.

Image Could Not Be Found
Image Could Not Be Found

The movement in the sky you can see in these shots is difficult to capture without a "bulb" setting which allows you to control exposure length etc. If you're like me you will be hooked from the word go. The minute you snap that first great image you will want to keep going and improve. It is with this in mind that I urge you to go with the DSLR. Good luck!

Craig
AnswerID: 490568

Follow Up By: Member - Broodie H3 - Tuesday, Jul 10, 2012 at 18:11

Tuesday, Jul 10, 2012 at 18:11
Hi Craig,
thanks for the info,did you take a course to learn how to take Photo's like the ones shown, they are really great IMHO,also I thank you for your words of wisdom, we will be going with the slr, and probably join a photography group to learn how to use it when we have finally made a decision, I'll let every one know when we make up our mind and the secretary of finance as always has the last word.
Broodie H3
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 765933

Follow Up By: Member - Cruiser74 - Tuesday, Jul 10, 2012 at 18:37

Tuesday, Jul 10, 2012 at 18:37
Thanks Broodie,

No I didn't take any courses initially I just bought a lot of the photography magazines and did a lot of reading. There is a wealth of information online that is free as well. I bought a Canon 400D about 6 years ago and never looked back and the best way I learned was through trial and error. I never used the auto setting and learned through my mistakes. Once you get the hang of the basic settings like Shutter prority, Aperture Priority and Depth of Field (f stop settings) the rest kind of comes along as you go.

I now have a Canon 5dMkII with a range of L series lenses. I would consider myself to be "semi professional" whatever that actually means but it's not my full time job but have sold a fair few of my landscape prints and also shoot the odd wedding. My passion is combining Photography and 4WD'ing as I love finding those unique out of the way places and working them in different lights with no one around. I have been to some seminars recently that explain in more detail things like printing and colour management but thats a whole other animal.

Make sure you get a sturdy tripod with your camera! It's just as important as good lenses. No point having expensive lenses when you have a wobbly tripod that can't handle a few knots of wind. Blurry photo's guaranteed especially with longer exposures!

Best of Luck

Craig
FollowupID: 765938

Reply By: Hilux fan - Tuesday, Jul 10, 2012 at 17:02

Tuesday, Jul 10, 2012 at 17:02
Broodie,

Is your budget very limited? If not, I would suggest one of the mid-range Canons like the 60D. I got a 60D body recently for my 50th. I managed to source adapter rings so it can use my old Zeiss and Tamron lenses so I'm a happy chappy. If you need the lenses as well, there are plenty of package deals going. I liked the 60D because the LCD viewfinder on the back can be swivelled to just about any angle. This is very useful when you are taking closeups in awkward positions, or have the camera on a low tripod. If you want to, you can run it in full auto mode for easy photography. As you want to get more experimental or achieve more with it, drag out the manual (and yes, it does come with a printed manual) and go through it.

Like most cameras these days, they'll do a lot more than the old SLRs we used to have. However, like the old SLRs, the photo quality is often dictated by the quality of the lens. It might not be the last camera body you'll ever buy, but get the right lenses and you can pass them on to your grandkids. I still have an excellent Zeiss 50mm lens that is 30 years old and works just fine on the new Canon body.
AnswerID: 490571

Follow Up By: Member - Broodie H3 - Wednesday, Jul 11, 2012 at 11:29

Wednesday, Jul 11, 2012 at 11:29
The budget is set by the department of finance, and company policy, which has been updated every year or so for the last 39 years,this new Nikon has a swivel mounted screen that can be flipped out to the side, and it also rotates while it will be useful in taking some video, and awkward shots I think I would prefer to use the view finder, and as I have very large hands,after yesterday, the Nikon fitted in my hand like a glove, the Sony and the Canon both felt a little awkward. I just don't know. I will know more after I go back to the shop this morning. thank you for the advice.
Broodie H3
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 765989

Follow Up By: Member - Captain (WA) - Wednesday, Jul 11, 2012 at 12:24

Wednesday, Jul 11, 2012 at 12:24
I have the swivel screen on my D5000 and thought it was just a novelty when I purchased. However, it has proven to be really handy, especially when in a crowd and taking shots above heads in front of you. Many other uses too, like having camera on the ground for certain shots, you don't have to lie down to see the view.

Anyway, what seemed a novely is actually a very useful feature.

Cheers

Captain
FollowupID: 765995

Reply By: Member - Mark (Tamworth NSW) - Tuesday, Jul 10, 2012 at 18:35

Tuesday, Jul 10, 2012 at 18:35
Brodie

If you are a novice (I thought you said that), book yourself into a photography course. I recently purchased a DSLR , after not having a SLR for 20 years.

What these cameras do now is phenomenal. Though it's all there in the instruction manual, I didn't grasp it until I did a course run by a professional photographer.

Mark
AnswerID: 490583

Follow Up By: Member - Broodie H3 - Wednesday, Jul 11, 2012 at 12:01

Wednesday, Jul 11, 2012 at 12:01
Hi Mark, we shall be doing a course if not join some form of photography club, and instruction manuals me myself personally don't get along, it has taken me ten months to work out the manual for the pathfinder, and even then We wound up having to do a driving course just to understand what the vehicle does and I have been driving 4x4's for years, So I don't think having a new camera with instruction manual is going to let me escape the worries of learning how to use it.LOL. Thank you for your input it is greatly appreciated.
Broodie H3
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 765992

Reply By: Member - Jeff O (VIC) - Tuesday, Jul 10, 2012 at 18:47

Tuesday, Jul 10, 2012 at 18:47
Broodie H3
G'day
I have a Nikon D5100 with the Nikkor 18-55mm lens, as well as the Nikkor 55-300mm lens. I bought it about 12 months ago and found it to be a good all round
camera.It takes excellent photos and has been trouble free.
My outfit cost about AU$1000. They are probably a bit cheaper than this now as they have been on the market for a couple of years.
Regards
Jeff.O

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 490586

Follow Up By: Member - Broodie H3 - Tuesday, Jul 10, 2012 at 19:11

Tuesday, Jul 10, 2012 at 19:11
Hi Jeffo
Do you find the Nikon easy to use, the cameras that I am looking at Are the Nikon , the Sony and the cannon although after being down the street, and talking to the sales girl, I have found the Nikon easiest to use, she even let me take the cameras, outside to let me try them out I thought she did the right thing by me, and the picture quality seemed better on the Nikon I'll be going back tomorrow and she is going to show me how the photo's look on the computer, great service, could not be happier with her customer service she told me to keep it quiet, as she was not supposed to let the cameras out of the shop, all three are around the 1200.00$ mark, and that includes two lenses for the canon and Nikon and 1 for the sony and the sony is a bit dearer at 1425$. so decision time tomorrow. I'll let you all know how I got on
Broodie H3
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 765942

Reply By: Member-Heather MG NSW - Tuesday, Jul 10, 2012 at 19:32

Tuesday, Jul 10, 2012 at 19:32
Hi Broodie,

Onlly you can decide which best suits your needs.

I reckon you can't go wrong with a Nikon if that is the brand you are leaning towards.. I bought a Nikon D7000 late last year after using a Pentax for the previous few years.
While I was happy with the Pentax, it was an entry level camera and only certain lenses would fit it. Also for me it was time to challenge myself and learn to use more than the Auto settings.

With Nikon (or Canon or Sony) there is a much bigger choice of lenses and it is one of the advantages of owning a SLR camera.

The D7000 has two card slots and is so complex that I will no doubt be learning how to use all the feature for years yet.

You will probably be able to download free video workshops or buy books which explain in detail how to use the features of your particular camera, so have a look at what is available. Or if you live in one of the major capital cities, you may be able to go to a Nikon workshop.
Sometimes the manual is a bit confusing.

Whatever you choose...get out there and enjoy.

regards,

Heather
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. John Muir

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 490591

Follow Up By: Member - Broodie H3 - Tuesday, Jul 10, 2012 at 19:52

Tuesday, Jul 10, 2012 at 19:52
Thank you Heather for your input, and I see by the photo that it was taken on the 7000. Just a quick question How the heck did you get the caravan down that track. My wife has told me I have to go and do a camera course and I am not going to argue with her, as I no my limitations of winning that one, LOL. she is going to join me on the course. You would never have guessed that this all started because we went to lake Eyre, back in June, and I was not happy with the types of Photos that we could take, although saying that we did manage some good shots. We live in Perth and I shall check out the Nikon web site to see if they run classes over here. Thank you.
Broodie H3
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 765947

Follow Up By: Member-Heather MG NSW - Tuesday, Jul 10, 2012 at 20:24

Tuesday, Jul 10, 2012 at 20:24
Hi Broodle...

When we started up the road through Warri Gate, we did not know what type of track we were taking to the Dig Tree. If we had we would never have had the adventure as I am sure we would have taken an alternative, less challenging one!
After we had survived it without mishap, I was just so glad that we had done it!

I absolutely love that area and would happily spend months each winter travelling, taking photographs and just soaking up the landscape. The colours and light are wonderful.
I suggest you also get yourself a circular polarising filter for the camera if you are going to use it for landscapes. It can make a big difference especially if there is interesting cloud, or for water shots.
You will notice a vast improvement once you start using a SLR too. The extra size and weight of the camera is well worth it!

regards,

Heather

Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. John Muir

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 765951

Reply By: Gone Bush (WA) - Tuesday, Jul 10, 2012 at 20:07

Tuesday, Jul 10, 2012 at 20:07
Broodie,

This is where I bought mine:

DWI digital cameras

Check their prices on the other brands/models you are interested in. I got very good service and the price was excellent.

The camera was shipped from Hong Kong.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 490593

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Tuesday, Jul 10, 2012 at 20:13

Tuesday, Jul 10, 2012 at 20:13
Your Nikon D5100 with a twin lens kit is $890 (Aust).

Nikon D5100 twin lens kit

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 765949

Reply By: Member - Graham Watson (SA) - Tuesday, Jul 10, 2012 at 22:40

Tuesday, Jul 10, 2012 at 22:40
I have a Nikon D5100 and am very happy with it. I had a Nikon film SLR from about 1997 to 2002 when I got a small compact digital. After going through a fuji cross over camera I finally got myself the D5100 a year ago with the 18-55 and 55-300 twin lense kit.
A good all round camera with very good low light performance.

My Photos are on Flickr here

There is also a D5100 group on Flickr here

As well as traditional paper books that will help you get the most from the Nikon D5100 you can get an e book called the Nikon D5100 experiencehere
Graham Watson

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 490614

Follow Up By: Member - Broodie H3 - Wednesday, Jul 11, 2012 at 11:47

Wednesday, Jul 11, 2012 at 11:47
Hi Graham,
you seem to have a lot of photos to share, loved the one of the Citroen's 2cv's as my brother was into them in a big way, they just brought back fond memories of him, what do you think of this combination of lenses 18-55, and 70-300as a twin kit or am I getting too much of a gap between lenses.
your opinion is appreciated, The Nikon looks like it has won the race, as my wife likes the feel of it too, and likes the placement of all the controls.
Broodie H3
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 765990

Reply By: Peter W - Tuesday, Jul 10, 2012 at 23:15

Tuesday, Jul 10, 2012 at 23:15
Hi Broodie.
A lot of advice above and I will add that the Nikon that you are considering or a Canon brand is a good lead into DSLR shooting.
Having said that please understand that the art of shooting good shots is with the photographer and NOT the camera he/she uses.
Quality shots are made after much practice and even after many years of experience you will find that probably only 10% of your shots will be worthwhile keepers.
If you are looking at Landscape work get yourself a good tripod also and use it often.
Try to shoot in the "golden hours" being first light in the morning or late light in the afternoon.
Light is everything in quality photography.
Courses will help as well but the main thing is to get out and practice , practice and practice more.
Take several shots of the same scene using differing settings and when you get home see what gives you the best results.
It is a great hobby and a wonderful way to capture your trips and relive them over and over.
Good luck.

Peter
http://peterwpa1.zenfolio.com/
AnswerID: 490618

Follow Up By: Member - Broodie H3 - Wednesday, Jul 11, 2012 at 20:29

Wednesday, Jul 11, 2012 at 20:29
Hi Peter,
We have brought the Nikon and following your advice had them throw the tripod in as part of the package. Here's hoping that it will arrive before the weekend as I think our plans are for Geraldton area this weekend, and I can't wait to try it out. thank you for your input.
Broodie H3
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 766054

Reply By: Member - Michael A (ACT) - Wednesday, Jul 11, 2012 at 08:12

Wednesday, Jul 11, 2012 at 08:12
Hi my 2 bobs worth
I am going thru the process of selecting a new dslr and have done a couple of courses to help me along. As has been stead nikon/canon/sony etc from what the 'professionals' have said is what suits your feel and needs is currently whats best for you. personally I like canon due to its heavier feel.
anyway there are currently some excellent online buys with Australian warranty. Kogan off a nikon 5100 dslr for 499 camera only also a couple of options with lenses. max price was 869 with 2 lenses.

Regards

M
PS i shop regularly online using a paypal account and in3 years of buying and selling on a weekly basis have had no problems. BUT i do a lot of research into the suppliers first.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 490625

Follow Up By: Member - Broodie H3 - Wednesday, Jul 11, 2012 at 12:12

Wednesday, Jul 11, 2012 at 12:12
Hi Michael,
thanks for the two bobs worth, after handling the cameras yesterday, I think the Nikon has won the race but I will know more after I talk to the department of trade and finance, I think she preferred the lightness of the Nikon over the others, as she has weak wrists and as I keep informing her we both have to be comfortable with it, and yes once again it's not just about me[I think]LOL.contrary to popular belief.
Broodie H3
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 765993

Reply By: PajeroTD - Wednesday, Jul 11, 2012 at 09:31

Wednesday, Jul 11, 2012 at 09:31
Broodie, D5100 is a fantastic camera. I recommended it to my brother a year ago when it came out, along with the 28-300 full frame lens. He loves it. But that was a year ago, Nikon is about to release an affordable full frame (36x24mm) DSLR called the D600. APS-C sensors (24x16mm) are going more toward mirrorless interchangeable lens cameras like on the Sony NEX series. Go full frame! Wait for the D600. Get the 28-300 lens to go with it. That's actually the combination I am getting. I am told the D600 will be out around September. If you can't wait, D5100 is fantastic, I have used it.
AnswerID: 490631

Follow Up By: Member - Broodie H3 - Wednesday, Jul 11, 2012 at 12:22

Wednesday, Jul 11, 2012 at 12:22
Thank you for the heads up on the 600, I am planning a trip up to the Midwest for a week or so toward the end of next month and we have a couple of functions coming up in the next week or so that I would love to have the camera for. Did you have any problems with the controls that are worth mentioning on the 5100. From what I have been able to work out is that they are pretty much the same as the 7000, and they seem to be excellent
Broodie H3
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 765994

Follow Up By: PajeroTD - Friday, Jul 13, 2012 at 00:25

Friday, Jul 13, 2012 at 00:25
Never shot with the D7000, but the D5100 is really easy to shoot with. The only differences I could really tell between the two: D7000 has an AF motor built in (D5100 requires AF-S lenses for auto focus - though this is a non-issue), the D5100 also has scene modes on the dial on top of the camera. If I remember correctly, the D7000 does not. The 600 is built like the D7000 (so I suspect the D600 will replace the D7000).
FollowupID: 766180

Reply By: Member - Broodie H3 - Wednesday, Jul 11, 2012 at 13:38

Wednesday, Jul 11, 2012 at 13:38
Thank you to all that have contributed to my quandary of a camera to buy, We have finally brought a Nikon 5100 dslr, twin kit, tripod hdmi cable16gb memory card,and a camera case the lenses are 18-55 and 70-300mm with delivery and insurance $871.95 ex Melbourne so they reckon I should have it by Saturday at the earliest Monday at the latest. I just want to thank every one that has contributed so much to the question, your in put has been invaluable to me and my wife. thank you so very much. I will post some photos when I get some proficiency with it. thank you once again.
Broodie H3 and pj
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 490645

Follow Up By: Member - Graham Watson (SA) - Wednesday, Jul 11, 2012 at 19:56

Wednesday, Jul 11, 2012 at 19:56
You will be happy with it. An earlier poster mentioned a bulb setting for the camera to take long exposure shots. For $40.00 you can buy a wireless remote that can be used to turn bulb shots on and off. You can also use the wireless remote (with the swivel screen and a tripod) to take family photos that you are in without having to hit the 10 sec delay and run to get into the photo.

You will probably not find the gap between 55mm and 70mm a problem. What I find is the problem is that when I have the 55 to300 lense on the camera I come across landscapes that need the 18 to 55mm lense, and when I have the 18-55mm lense on I spot birds etc that need the 55 to 300mm lense. 8-)
Graham Watson

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 766052

Reply By: Member - Broodie H3 - Monday, Jul 16, 2012 at 14:39

Monday, Jul 16, 2012 at 14:39
This is an information update for all who thankfully gave their time and knowledge for my quest for a new camera. I have just taken delivery of a new NIKON D5100, and the battery is on charge as I am typing this reply to you, Photos following. Does anyone know how long it takes to charge the battery.
Broodie H3
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 491080

Follow Up By: Member - Graham Watson (SA) - Tuesday, Jul 17, 2012 at 00:25

Tuesday, Jul 17, 2012 at 00:25
Can't remember how long, but I strongly recommend getting a spare battery. That way you are much less likely to run out of charge just when you need it.

Have fun.

Graham Watson

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 766546

Follow Up By: Member - Broodie H3 - Tuesday, Jul 17, 2012 at 10:05

Tuesday, Jul 17, 2012 at 10:05
Hi Graham, It took an hour to charge and I will be going for a drive later this morning to get a spare battery and then up to the Mundaring Weir for the first practice run with the camera. My wife is off to work so it will be a solo trip, out in the bush , a hard life I got but I need to do it.
Broodie H3
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 766561

Follow Up By: get outmore - Tuesday, Jul 17, 2012 at 11:04

Tuesday, Jul 17, 2012 at 11:04
go to battery world for the spare. a fraction of the cost and in numerous cameras ive never noticed a difference using 3rd party batteries
FollowupID: 766565

Follow Up By: Member - Broodie H3 - Tuesday, Jul 17, 2012 at 11:19

Tuesday, Jul 17, 2012 at 11:19
I never even gave battery world a thought as I thought they only did car batteries, thanks for that .............
Broodie H3
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 766566

Reply By: AdrianLR - Tuesday, Jul 17, 2012 at 09:39

Tuesday, Jul 17, 2012 at 09:39
Congratulations on your 5100 - welcome to the Nikon family :) A good online information resource is nikonians.org There are hundreds of thousands members, with many in Australia. You will come across an acronym "NAS" that is a well documented disease - Nikon Acquisition Syndrome" The beauty of a DSLR is what you can add over time to produce a particular result including lenses, filters, flashes etc etc.

I have a D300 with fast lenses and other additions. One of the sports I photograph is fencing. Always inside, fast moving, crowded venues. I often get comments from other parents about the great photos and why theirs never turn out as well. Apart from lots of practise, it is this type of situation which sorts out the point-and-shoot cameras from DSLRs.Bright sunlight, nice landscapes and slow subjects you can shoot with almost anything and get a pleasing result. It's the difficult situation (in my case fencing) where $4k of camera/lens/grip vs $200 makes a difference. Travel photography often presents similar "difficult situations" which are fleeting and in variable light or conversely provide the time to properly compose an image. As you learn more about your own preferences and how to achieve the look you're after (using depth a field to isolate a subject, slow shutter speeds to smooth water as examples) you can add to your kit. The 5100 is a great foundation.

All the best,

Adrian
AnswerID: 491126

Follow Up By: Member - Broodie H3 - Tuesday, Jul 17, 2012 at 10:57

Tuesday, Jul 17, 2012 at 10:57
Hi Adrian, thanks for you best wishes, and the info on the nikonians I shall go and take a look see. Just to see what they get up to . thank you.
Broodie H3
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 766564

Reply By: Member - Broodie H3 - Tuesday, Jul 24, 2012 at 00:51

Tuesday, Jul 24, 2012 at 00:51
[/fi]]Image Could Not Be Found[/url]I wish to thank everyone that contributed to my search for a camera. I said I would post some of my first photo's for you to look at, any criticism or advice on how to improve will be greatly appreciated. Once again thank you very much for the input that I received from you all
Broodie
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 491533

Follow Up By: Member - Broodie H3 - Tuesday, Jul 24, 2012 at 00:58

Tuesday, Jul 24, 2012 at 00:58
and here's another one
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 767026

Follow Up By: Member - Broodie H3 - Tuesday, Jul 24, 2012 at 04:02

Tuesday, Jul 24, 2012 at 04:02
I am sorry but i don't seem to be able to down load the photo's at the moment. stay tuned I may get it sorted out yet.
Broodie H3
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 767029

Reply By: Member - Broodie H3 - Tuesday, Jul 24, 2012 at 10:54

Tuesday, Jul 24, 2012 at 10:54
I am trying to down load some photo's and not having much luck, so bear with me and I shall try agian. Broodie
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 491549

Follow Up By: Member - Broodie H3 - Tuesday, Jul 24, 2012 at 10:56

Tuesday, Jul 24, 2012 at 10:56
I am sorry I can't do it at this time. thank you every one. Broodie
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member