Mitsubishi service rip off

Submitted: Tuesday, Jul 10, 2012 at 20:54
ThreadID: 96794 Views:7188 Replies:14 FollowUps:16
This Thread has been Archived
I have just had a 15000klm service done by NT Auotgroup in Darwin NT. When picking up the car after the service I found that they charged me for a windscreen washer solution additive for $1.62. I asked how did they put in the solution when the washer bottle is in my hand with a hole in it and here is the new one to replace it. Dumb foundered look given and a remark "What are you saying that we didn't put it in"Well I had to think they put it in the radiator by mistake, or you have tried to rob me. Next was the diff charging me for 1 lt of diff oil, so asked them where is the leak. Response was there is no leak, so I asked for a new diff given that I have driven it for 15000klm with a litre of oil missing from it. By then the service manager came into it and said it wasn't a litre off oil missing and only had to top it up using about 10 ml. So I asked for the rest of the oil, he gave me half a litre back. That makes me 40ml short of the mark I said. His reply was " we don't know how much oil we put in it, by now I am worried that the service was not done at all. They had to replace the front splash guards in the wheel arch but now find after looking at another car the same as mine that they put them on wrong.
This is a place that you should steer clear of, with bad workmanship and rob you at the same time.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ross M - Tuesday, Jul 10, 2012 at 21:29

Tuesday, Jul 10, 2012 at 21:29
It seems nearly everyone who trusts a dealer to do a job , shouldn't, and has been ripped off.
They couldn't have topped it up by adding 10ml. That's only the amount of a couple of good drug doses and would make absolutely no difference to the level of the diff oil. Even 100ml would hardly be noticeable.
I bet if you go and look at your diff there are no socket or spanner marks on the plug HEX and probably the factory paint marks are still lined up. Hence nuffing done by nuf nufs.

It is pretty precise and observant of them to top up a washer bottle which wasn't there. Do they specialize in psychology too?
I was prepared and found at the first free service on an ISUZU product, they "did do nufink". Same skill level and preparedness to deceive the customer.

Incomplete or non existent servicing is expertly performed by most dealer networks on all makes. Surprisingly though some are done.
The vehicles are good so they WILL generally make it through the warranty period without much servicing but it severely shortens the vehicles life.
It makes a full service history, which many ask for and demand in a second hand vehicle, an absolute joke/con. The vehicle then has a history of having it's book stamped when each service should have been done.
AnswerID: 490605

Reply By: olcoolone - Tuesday, Jul 10, 2012 at 21:40

Tuesday, Jul 10, 2012 at 21:40
Lets kick a dealer.....
AnswerID: 490607

Follow Up By: Ross M - Tuesday, Jul 10, 2012 at 21:52

Tuesday, Jul 10, 2012 at 21:52
G'day olcoolone
Just stating it as it happens. No kicking at all. They push the snowball not the customer.
You have to wonder why many vehicle service people just keep on doing it to customers and absolutely squeal when they get caught out.
I have done a fairly comprehensive assessment/survey of the issue and you would be staggered at the level of "lack of service" had by trusting, unsuspecting and possibly not mechanically savvy customers.

If it didn't happen there would be no problem, ever.
Playing fair is what is needed in the motor trade.
FollowupID: 765964

Follow Up By: dbish - Tuesday, Jul 10, 2012 at 21:53

Tuesday, Jul 10, 2012 at 21:53
I have worked for some years in a Ford dealership & some Dealers do need a Kick. Mainly conartist type Service managers whos job it is to baffle & bul bleep the customer. i worked in a small country dealership as the mechanic & service manager. with a small customer base you couldnt afford to loose customers.
FollowupID: 765965

Follow Up By: Ross M - Tuesday, Jul 10, 2012 at 22:58

Tuesday, Jul 10, 2012 at 22:58
The NT dealer or staff would have looked at the NSW number plate and thought to themselves, "easy pickins" cos he won't be back this way.
He can however drive around Darwin with an appropriate sign on his vehicle stating the trouble, he isn't lying or deceiving in doing so. He can talk to people in the Cvan park and relay his experience, He can talk on the UHF to all and sundry and make others aware.
Fairly naive of the service centre to think it won't be done.
He can lodge a complaint with Mitsubishi so everyone involved in the new vehicles welfare is in the know.

I know of a Colorado diff, only checked at Oldhen in Alice and they didn't tighten the diff plug, hardly even screwed it in. That was found by and observant traveller at the Rock and quite a bit of diff oil had gone. On checking the service had in Alice, most was not done. Same story NT and Vic involved there.
FollowupID: 765970

Reply By: Grant L - Wednesday, Jul 11, 2012 at 08:44

Wednesday, Jul 11, 2012 at 08:44
Level of service in 80% of workshops leaves a lot to be desired in this day and age and as far as dealers are concerned don't go there . Recent sensor problem with Colorado diesel was being discussed with diesel fitter friend who teaches mechanics at Tafe and I was surprised when he suggested not to take vehicle to dealer, as "there understanding of modern Diesel electronics was lacking". Enquired on this website and fixed the problem myself same as all servicing these days, that way don't have motor overfilled with oil, vehicle does get greased, wheel bearings get checked, tyres get rotated and no scratches on duco
AnswerID: 490628

Reply By: Grumblebum and the Dragon - Wednesday, Jul 11, 2012 at 08:49

Wednesday, Jul 11, 2012 at 08:49
Midland Toyota WA a few years ago $155 to grease the propshaft - with just five nipples! Ordered a part for a spare, they could not find it for 20 minutes and then discovered it had been installed! I asked for a replacement FOC and after consulting the computer I was told none available in Oz 6-8 weeks ex Japan.

I had a serious dummy spit in their reception area full of other customers. I later phoned the Morley Toyota Service Manager who, after consulting the computer advised me there was one available in Perth!

I emailed a snorter to the Group managing Director and he refunded the total cost of the service and apologised profusely.

Arses need to be kicked with this sort of service. Now if travelling, I ask around town who are the best people to get a service - its usually the local self employed mechanic not the big dealerships. The latter have very high overheads, big premises too many staff just wafting around - and a few apprentices round the back who do the bulk of the servioce work under so-called supervision.

John
AnswerID: 490629

Reply By: Neil & Pauline - Wednesday, Jul 11, 2012 at 09:44

Wednesday, Jul 11, 2012 at 09:44
In WA had a 1500 (first service) on a diesel Suzuki and the dealer charged $200 for a Carbbie clean. When I queried this was advised all new diesels have carbbie now. Since they had failed to advise prior to service they took off account. Still had $190 for 4l oil and $90 disposal fee.

Neil
AnswerID: 490633

Follow Up By: Ross M - Wednesday, Jul 11, 2012 at 11:11

Wednesday, Jul 11, 2012 at 11:11
Oil and a filter would cost the dealer about$60 to $80 for good oil, so $110 profit there and the waste oil is usually picked up for nothing by the collectors and they make a profit because they sell to recyclers who pay him to collect it. Another $90 for the dealer. Ned Kelly was a gentleman compared to many of these so called service centre people.
FollowupID: 765988

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian, SA - Wednesday, Jul 11, 2012 at 09:44

Wednesday, Jul 11, 2012 at 09:44
Like many, I've been ripped off at a dealership too.....but this post is clearly in breach of forum rules.
AnswerID: 490634

Reply By: Ross M - Wednesday, Jul 11, 2012 at 11:22

Wednesday, Jul 11, 2012 at 11:22
644 views of the experiences. The net is a good tool against the attitude of dealers/service centres and how they treat their customers.
The more people forewarned means Joe Average is more aware of what to look out for. At the moment there is nothing to stop them doing what they do to people and their vehicles because 99% of the time they can get away with it and they know it.
AnswerID: 490637

Reply By: rocco2010 - Wednesday, Jul 11, 2012 at 11:26

Wednesday, Jul 11, 2012 at 11:26
Gidday

RossM never lets a chance go by the bag dealer servicing. Every time I go to my dealer for service he has a workshop full of cars and a waiting room full of customers. If we apply RossM's argument hardly any of these people are getting their cars serviced at all! It's a wonder there is a car running anywhere ... or are the ones I see jamming the roads all service by indepenedent workshops. And none of those are dodgy ...

There are crooks in every line of work, there are probably even people on internet forums who make stuff up!

Cheers

Rocco
AnswerID: 490638

Follow Up By: Ross M - Thursday, Jul 12, 2012 at 11:49

Thursday, Jul 12, 2012 at 11:49
G'day Rocco
I have looked at a lot of vehicles after a service from local and interstate and found they had a service but very often it wasn't done fully and sometimes practically nothing done. All makes and models.
Just because a dealer has a workshop of cars and customers waiting, in no way indicates proper servicing is happening.
In some places yes.
Stamped service books which those customers expect to see in no way proves it was done.
Just plain old decency and honesty is what the customers are relying on.

People don't usually mind paying for good servicing but it doesn't usually happen.

Remember. Lack of good servicing isn't the customers fault, it is another party who is being trusted and paid to do it.
FollowupID: 766093

Follow Up By: Fab72 - Saturday, Jul 14, 2012 at 12:33

Saturday, Jul 14, 2012 at 12:33
Ross,
"I have looked at a lot of vehicles after a service from local and interstate and found they had a service but very often it wasn't done fully and sometimes practically nothing done".....

Mate, do you seriously go around checking people's cars at random? How would you know what they have or haven't paid for in their service? There are different types of services from a straight out oil change to a full driveline oil change, coolant change, tappet adjustment, brake adjustment etc etc etc. How can you honestly gauge the level of workmanship performed by just looking at the car.

Tell your story but don't stretch the truth. Yes, I'm a mechanic and I'll admit there are rouges out there. But I can also smell bull excrement from a mile away.

Fab.
FollowupID: 766296

Follow Up By: Ross M - Saturday, Jul 14, 2012 at 17:18

Saturday, Jul 14, 2012 at 17:18
Fab.
I have represented people, in Small claims Tribunals, who have been dudded and the observation ability which you challenge is apparently a skill many don't have.

Having been in the Automotive industry for years I know what happens and never surprised by what people experience with services.

By meeting people, discussion and checking of vehicles and what is supposed to happen at service time, (it is closely related to my job) it isn't hard to see if a filler or drain plug has never been removed in 20,000km. Valve adjustments leave a tell tale trace of someone being there. When there is no trace after the time it should have been done, then it is plain as daylight nothing was done.
If a grease at service interval never shows any grease "fling off" in over 20.000km then it hasn't ever been greased.
I would hope as a mechanic you should be able to do the same.
FollowupID: 766332

Follow Up By: Fab72 - Saturday, Jul 14, 2012 at 21:35

Saturday, Jul 14, 2012 at 21:35
Ross,
You'd also then know that most dealerships use computer generated R/O's which come pre-populated with fields such as windscreen washer additives, waste oil disposal, consumables etc.

The above mentioned dealership's mistake was that they got caught out by one of their generic R/O's. What compounded the issue further was that they tried to lie their way around it rather than telling it how it is, refunding the difference and moving on. That boils down to poor customer service at the front counter not necessarily by poor service in the workshop.

It's funny you mention the "traces" of work having been done and maybe things were different when I went to trade school but back then I was taught not to leave traces of anything on a customers car, be it greasey finger prints, oil stains, grease dags...even right down to returning the mirrors and seats back to their original position.

Now if a customer is charged for say new brake pads, and they're clearly not fitted, then that falls into a different category....I'd say fraud.

Fab
FollowupID: 766364

Reply By: Jim Murphy - Wednesday, Jul 11, 2012 at 11:45

Wednesday, Jul 11, 2012 at 11:45
I had a similar problem with a bill for a service at a dealer in Shepparton Vic --I queried the 2 washer solutions said to have been used in my van -" oh yes we topped up the water and put in additive " wrong I had done that myself the previous day with bars which is green and the dealers is pink! "oh sorry about that " as I read further on the bill I see a new air cleaner filter !! ahh I told you when I booked in the van that the air filter was nearly new ( less than 1000 k) so please just give it a blow out with some air !! "oh yes its written down sorry" "err we will deduct these items from your bill" that's the least you should do says I! oh and ill have my air filter back thank you ! "oh that's been thrown out in the bin " "we will give you a 20% discount off your next service " thanks says I but there wont be a next service for me here !! can I avail of the 20% reduction on this bill then?? err no.
AnswerID: 490642

Reply By: Steve D1 - Wednesday, Jul 11, 2012 at 13:58

Wednesday, Jul 11, 2012 at 13:58
Capped price servicing people...fixed price, never changes

Steve
AnswerID: 490649

Follow Up By: landseka - Wednesday, Jul 11, 2012 at 14:14

Wednesday, Jul 11, 2012 at 14:14
Sure, the price is capped but the work done for that price is reduced.

I recently had my Triton in for 45000 service, 40 minutes work, well, 40 minutes in the service bay for $600 inc oil & filter.

I know this as my dash camera was running all the time.

Cheers Neil
FollowupID: 766003

Follow Up By: Steve D1 - Wednesday, Jul 11, 2012 at 15:28

Wednesday, Jul 11, 2012 at 15:28
$200 in parts. $150-$180 in oils. Labour on top, sounds about right to me.

Granted. its not possible to do a 45000 in 40 mins. Maybe you should have queried it at the time. No point complaining later. And yes i do work for a stealer. Some are better than others, some just have lazy half assed "mechanics". But you get that in any trade.

Steve
FollowupID: 766014

Reply By: Member - Ron S (SA) - Wednesday, Jul 11, 2012 at 20:11

Wednesday, Jul 11, 2012 at 20:11
The problem is not just confined to Toyota and Mitsubishi dealers. I took my Colorado to the dealer in Toowoomba for a service and then continued on my trip. That night I checked the oil and it was thick and black. Obviously the oil filter had not been changed either. I don't know what else was not done but it was an expensive service.
AnswerID: 490680

Reply By: Member - allan t (NT) - Wednesday, Jul 11, 2012 at 21:37

Wednesday, Jul 11, 2012 at 21:37
oh dear a lot of porkeys.
As I know the manager I told him about the bad publicity so he could talk to said staff .
what transpired was a totally different set of circumstances.
You didnt say they had fitted a new washer bottle.
The diff needed oil did you check that it actually had oil put in when the last service was done in BUNDABREG
And you fitted an after market bull bar and the splash guards were butchered the fixings were cut off DARWIN mitsubishi clipped them on as there was nothing to fix them to
It is not right to use this forum to gripe whenyou were looked after .
this is how buisnesses get a bad name so I am telling it how it is ,and I would believe the manager as IHAVE ALWAYS FOUND HIM TO BE HONEST WITH THE DEALINGS WITH HIM

Idrive a toyota

AnswerID: 490688

Follow Up By: Nargun51 - Thursday, Jul 12, 2012 at 10:28

Thursday, Jul 12, 2012 at 10:28
Interesting that you say that!

Anybody who has hung round Courts for a while will know that there are 3 sides to every story; what the accuser says, what the accused says and what can be proved in Court. Of course, the “truth” may have no connection with any of these!

I have problems with “name and shame” on internet forums for one simple reason; the reader never gets the opportunity to hear the other two stories and so make an informed decision; the OP is expecting us to take him on his word (whatever that is worth).

Paraphrased, the rules of natural justice require an accused to be informed of the allegations made and have the ability to defend these before an independent, unbiased judge.

So far, the accused has been informed of the existence of the complaint (via this poster), but other than this post has not had opportunity to respond. The comments so far on this thread indicate this forum is not unbiased.

The interesting (and fun) question now is whether the company can be bothered taking any action in regards to the OP. If there is any evidence to support this response, they may choose to do so. If they do, the third side of the story, what can be proved in Court, comes into play. Of course, they may decide that any possible damage to their reputation or business from the post is not worth the initial solicitor’s consultation fee. Comes purely down to a business decision; how many members of this forum are likely to contemplate using their services at some time in the future and what is the cost to them of the OP’s complaint.

At least, the company appears to know of the OP’s details, so they won’t have to subpoena these from David and Michelle in order to serve any documents.
FollowupID: 766090

Follow Up By: Aussi Traveller - Thursday, Jul 12, 2012 at 11:12

Thursday, Jul 12, 2012 at 11:12
Perhaps a forum rule should be put in place that stops this type of post.

I would suggest that if some one wants to post a complaint against a business, that before they do so they have to notify the business of their intent so as the business can give a right of reply.
FollowupID: 766091

Follow Up By: Member Andys Adventures - Thursday, Jul 12, 2012 at 12:08

Thursday, Jul 12, 2012 at 12:08
Image Could Not Be FoundHi Allen T, You have been told a bunch of lies. First, the car had the 1500klm service form the dealer in Port Macquarie NSW from where I bought it, and I trust this dealer. The charge for the windscreen solution was on the 14/5/2012 but the bottle was not put on until 22/5/2012. So why are they sending me a satchel of windscreen solution if they already put it in? As for the bull bar it is an Iornman brand and the brackets that were missing where put back on by the NT Autogroup at a cost of $44.84 each, so the guards have somewhere to clip them to, when the new splash guards were fitted, by them. Please look at the photo and you can see that the clips were not put back properly. As for the oil they now say that it wasn't a litre of oil but can't tell me how much so they are sending me a litre of oil. Why would they send me a litre of oil if they have already put it in ????. Your mate has NOT told you the correct story so you should get your facts right first before defending him.
I don't write something that would hurt a business unless it was right.
Andy

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 766095

Follow Up By: garrycol - Thursday, Jul 12, 2012 at 12:13

Thursday, Jul 12, 2012 at 12:13
I don't disagree as long as threads that recommend or praise service are also banned. There needs to be a balanced view because if only positive things are said then people may go to a company based on those recommendations which overall may prove to be not correct.

On another forum I visit bad reports on service are not permitted but positive responses are - as a result a particular service centre has all positive posts and on the basis of these recommendations people on the forum have been using the service centre and getting nasty surprises when they pick up there car - the few positive experiences get listed but the many bad reports do not.

So if the negatives cannot be posted then neither should the positives.

Garry
FollowupID: 766097

Follow Up By: Member Andys Adventures - Thursday, Jul 12, 2012 at 14:07

Thursday, Jul 12, 2012 at 14:07
Oh I forgot to say the car has never been to BUNDABREG. So he know a lot about the problem, doesn't he. So he is not so HONEST with you at all.
Andy

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 766106

Follow Up By: Ross M - Saturday, Jul 14, 2012 at 17:33

Saturday, Jul 14, 2012 at 17:33
"garrycol"
I agree both sides should be able to be aired.

Negatives experiences are common and all people really want is have a task done and pay a fair price nothing more. If at service time you get the full service and everything is correct then it isn't a positive, it is just normal and is what should happen.
A positive is they clearly went far and beyond to help with a problem, and some do, or unexpectedly offered 10% off the service at payment time, or topped up the tank.
These are positives.

Normal service is normal service and should be as such.
FollowupID: 766335

Reply By: bazz - Wednesday, Jul 11, 2012 at 21:41

Wednesday, Jul 11, 2012 at 21:41
lady friend of mine had a new Hyundai and dealer serviced ,when the motor seized the mechanic said the oil had never been changed......
AnswerID: 490689

Reply By: Member - mick C (NSW) - Thursday, Jul 12, 2012 at 20:42

Thursday, Jul 12, 2012 at 20:42
To All
Not all dealers are the same , some good , some not so good . it really a matter of user beware and check them out first , In Feb 2012 I had my 2004 model Toyota 100 series serviced for 120,000 kms [ I had purchased in 2009 with very low kms ] and timing belt , tensioner and pulley replaced as time was due to expiry soon not kms . I was very happy with service provided as all things supposed to be done were done , I had markers in appropiate places , and the cost was as expected . I have done all my own servicing on many Toyota vehicles and on earthmoving gear since the early seventies , so I have a fair idea how things have to done , but will have no hesitation on returning to Markwells Auto Group in Mildura anytime that is required
Mick
Poppa Bear

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 490757

Sponsored Links