Mud Mauler winch

Submitted: Monday, Apr 15, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 968 Views:2613 Replies:6 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Can anyone comment on the Mud Mauler chain winch as an alternative to tirfor/big haul etc? Was mentioned here briefly back in Feb - Porl, used yours in mud yet?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: John - Monday, Apr 15, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, Apr 15, 2002 at 00:00
Johnno, I looked at the Mud Mauler very closly and was not impressed. It is expensive, heavy and none of the parts are pasivated, so rust will be a big problem. You can not reverse the action, the chain is captive, so can't be used for other purposes. Comparing it with a Big Haul, I would go for the big haul. After evaluating my winching needs, I decided to that if I ever need winch, I will use the highlift jack that I carry. Hope that this helps. John
AnswerID: 2863

Reply By: Peter Cosh - Tuesday, Apr 16, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Apr 16, 2002 at 00:00
John & Johnno,
I had a look at a Mud Mauler, I think you can take the chain out by taking off a hook and running the chain out? I'll have to check it out again. But they are more compact.
AnswerID: 2869

Follow Up By: John - Wednesday, Apr 17, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, Apr 17, 2002 at 00:00
Peter, they may be compact and you may be able to remove chain, but I stand by my original comments.
FollowupID: 1112

Reply By: Peter Cosh - Wednesday, Apr 17, 2002 at 00:00

John,
Thanks for the email. I'm sure you do and your views are valid, particularly about the potential for rust. I'd really like to see a comparo in the field, I understand a number have been sold up Townsville way. Anyone with any experience....? It would be interesting to hear further comment.
AnswerID: 2894

Reply By: David - Wednesday, Apr 17, 2002 at 00:00

Check out how you ancor it to the ground,,,three tent pegs about 12" long & three pieces of flat bar with a hole in each end, so you can ''PIN'' it to the ground in a triangle shape, i would hate to pull out a patrol or land cruiser stuck fast in the mud or in a creek, looks like it,s more suited to for a Tonka toy, put your money towards a decent tirfor, the only thing positive i can see is its compactness, but thats only my opinion.
AnswerID: 2895

Reply By: paul - Thursday, Apr 18, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, Apr 18, 2002 at 00:00
well i have one and it seems to work fine. am no engineer and one guy i showed it to was very sceptical so i had long chats with the maker etc and so far am pretty happy. Compactness is a big issue for me cause i don't plan to get bogged and don't go rock hopping up cliffs. To be honest i have not had to use in a bogged situation yet (snatch strap has been good enough so far cause other wagons have been around) but for my own piece of mind i have practised pulling the Prado up some hills just so i know how it works. It does it fine and you can use a jack handle for more leverage. I don't use the 3 pin set up and have a tree protector i run the rear section of the chain through as the rear anchor point. I guess a sunken spare tyre would do the trick in an non-tree situation. Maybe the 3 pin set up may pull out a vitara or jimny but i too am skeptical of its value in something larger, but my point is you are not restricted to the 3 pin anchor and could even anchor it to another vehicle, the options are open.

But that said i too would be keen for a serious test by someone
AnswerID: 2909

Follow Up By: Johnno - Thursday, Apr 18, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, Apr 18, 2002 at 00:00
Thanks for that info guys. Can you remove the chain Paul?
FollowupID: 1138

Reply By: Paul - Friday, Apr 19, 2002 at 00:00

Friday, Apr 19, 2002 at 00:00
Yes you can remove the chain - that is one of the attractions, the chain therefore doubles as a drag chain if need be, always useful.
AnswerID: 2947

Sponsored Links