Lifting a 60 Series.

Submitted: Monday, Jan 12, 2004 at 12:00
ThreadID: 9681 Views:1616 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,
I have a 60 series currently running 245 75 r16 kelly awr allterains and was looking at getting a second set of rims and tyres for offroad play. The car already seems a little sagged so before I setout to put on some taller tyres I think it will need a slight lift. I figure it's going to cost me roughly the same to lift it back to standard as it is to lift it say 2 maybe three inches above that. Is it just a matter of getting new springs or will there be more to it?
Also I was talking to a friend (a fairly unrelieable friend when it comes to mechanical advise) and he was telling me about a leaf over setup?? Where intead of the leaves running under the axle the run over giving a couple of linches of lift at the same time without destroying ride quality? Is this safe?
Cheers,
Justin
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: simon - Monday, Jan 12, 2004 at 13:07

Monday, Jan 12, 2004 at 13:07
a spring over lift will raise around 6-7" and require extensive mods and eng approvel.
New springs will give you the lift you are chasing after, or even extended shackles (note not legal but cheap and easy)
Another solotion would be a 2" body lift.

Cheers
AnswerID: 42663

Follow Up By: Justin - Monday, Jan 12, 2004 at 13:29

Monday, Jan 12, 2004 at 13:29
Thanks simon,
I thought the friend may have been talking out of his arts. Amazing, I didn't realize something as simple as extended shackles would be illegal. I'll just have to save my pennies and get some new springs.
Cheers,
Justin
FollowupID: 305027

Reply By: Tuff60 - Wednesday, Jan 14, 2004 at 13:50

Wednesday, Jan 14, 2004 at 13:50
New springs will give you the lift at a price, and a step down in reliability, trust me I won't name names but a well known brand I had in the sixty failed in the first six months, first a broken overload spring and then a broken main spring right at the start of the military wrap. Original Toyota springs are the strongest items, just measure hight at all corners mark the springs pull them out and head of to Peddars and get them re-tensioned to the hight you're looking for, while you're there ask them which ones have the best steel quality/strengh, all those I have asked said Toyota hands down. Spring over is fantastic but lots of expensive steering bits required, along with longer brake lines.
AnswerID: 42938

Sponsored Links