Where to install Donaldson pre filter P902976 on Colorado/Dmax

Submitted: Thursday, Jul 12, 2012 at 09:53
ThreadID: 96820 Views:4322 Replies:1 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I would like to hear from anyone that has installed a Donaldson auxiliary water trap/diesel filter to a Colorado or D Max. I am aware that it should be connected in line between the tank & original filter/water trap. Due to the length of the P902976 there is very limited room. Definitely don't wont to hang any lower than the factory filter. Your advice would be appreciated.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ross M - Thursday, Jul 12, 2012 at 11:26

Thursday, Jul 12, 2012 at 11:26
G'day Allan,
I fitted mine beside the rear of the gearbox, between it and the OE filter.
Made a crush tube "oval" to go through the chassis crossmember and used an angle bracket vertically up.

I has to trim a little of the corner of the filter head to miss the floor though.
The delivery hose to the OE filter was taken off and a 100mm length of 8MM steel fuel pipe inserted.
A relatively short hose to the Donny and the out of the Donny to the inlet of the OE filter.
I also made up two 3 m lengths of wire with male spades on the ends. On the other end I fitted a switch. If you remove the fuel relay in the fuse box and plug the wires into the two rearmost slots, then when you are underneath you can switch the pump on and off as required to bleed both filters in turn. Easy as.
Then just start up after replacing relay. None of this ign "on off" business to get bleeding done.

So, nothing changed on the OE, it still senses filter blockage and the new one prefilters and dewaters leaving the OE doing its job as a backup.
Don't leave the OE filter in longer than about 24 months as all fuel filters do begin to degrade the filter material even if not being used. Any crap to the HP pump is not good.
AnswerID: 490715

Follow Up By: Member - Allan L2 - Thursday, Jul 12, 2012 at 17:28

Thursday, Jul 12, 2012 at 17:28
Thanks Ross for that information.
Sound good as I didn't want to remote it too far away that would require long hoses to connect.
FollowupID: 766124

Sponsored Links