Dropping everything and moving to Broome???

Submitted: Friday, Jul 13, 2012 at 12:50
ThreadID: 96845 Views:2644 Replies:6 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all! Im seriously thinking about dropping evrything here in Albury and dragging my partner up to Broome to live for a while. Im only 20, and have been to broome before, i think its magnificent. My partners parents have recently moved back to Albury from Broome. Have also heard that its fairly easy to get work, and was also thinking about getting into a share house for a little bit while we get everything sorted. Jst wondering if there were any
Broomies out there that can give me a few pointers, what to look out for etc. Oh and we are most likely going to drive. Thanks people! :)
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Frances - Friday, Jul 13, 2012 at 13:01

Friday, Jul 13, 2012 at 13:01
I wish I was coming with you! Good luck!
AnswerID: 490819

Reply By: Member - Broodie H3 - Friday, Jul 13, 2012 at 14:58

Friday, Jul 13, 2012 at 14:58
We lived in the east Kimberly's for a while back in the 70's early 80's, and Broome is now a different place to back then, but in saying that we went for a visit,about 2 years ago and not a great deal has changed. You will love it or hate it, it all depends on you and what you want get out of the area,and what your interest are. we were the same age as you are now when we went up there with two kids in tow, and lived in Wyndham, great experience, and life changing. Have fun and enjoy the life style.
Mrs Broodie H3
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 490832

Reply By: Bush Wanderer - Friday, Jul 13, 2012 at 15:42

Friday, Jul 13, 2012 at 15:42
Give me 5 minutes to pack the car and i will follow you.

You are young....go and have some fun.

BW.
AnswerID: 490836

Reply By: GimmeeIsolation - Friday, Jul 13, 2012 at 18:27

Friday, Jul 13, 2012 at 18:27
Organise a job before you get here. If you say what your work skills are I can say how you will go unless your happy working in Chicken Treat/behind a bar,etc.
If you have a trade you can get a job.
There is a few tourism/hospitality jobs but with the pay you will be living with others for many years. The mining industry is taking more housing causing rents to increase too, rents range from about $650 for a dump up to and over a grand per week. Lower than $650 and you will be living where we call the "Bronx".
If you are a keen worker and want to get somewhere, I would head to Geraldton. The local paper has about five pages of vacancies, if you want to steer a truck, they will even organise housing and after a few years experience you could end up in the mines on bigger money. Good fishing/surfing/beaches and friendly locals.
If your dead set on coming here, work your way around and make your mind up after you have been here for a while before sending up all your furniture, don't put all your eggs in one basket thinking this is utopia.
Visiting here for a holiday is different to living permanently as all towns.
At 20 it is good to travel and work around Oz, you never know where you will end up.
If you get here and party, I would recommend not walking home in the dark, ever.
AnswerID: 490850

Follow Up By: Member - Broodie H3 - Friday, Jul 13, 2012 at 19:00

Friday, Jul 13, 2012 at 19:00
I agree with that sentiment, party all you want but don't walk home after dark
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 766247

Follow Up By: Member - Joe n Mel n kids (FNQ - Saturday, Jul 14, 2012 at 13:38

Saturday, Jul 14, 2012 at 13:38
Totally agree with GimmeIsol..... personally i would only ever now visit Broome, lived north of broome for a while and Broome has changed so much ....
Just be VERY careful ........
Cheers
FollowupID: 766306

Follow Up By: EmmaC1 - Saturday, Jul 14, 2012 at 14:25

Saturday, Jul 14, 2012 at 14:25
@GimmeIsol...at the moment I work pretty much full time at BCF, Ive been in retail ever since I left school but im definately not scared to get my hands dirty :) so im into fishing and all the good stuff...My partner was thinking of maybe getting into truck driving locally if possible? If not im sure he'd be more than happy to drive for the mines ;) $$$$ Luckily at 20, i dont own much more than my car...also happy to live in a caravan park for a little while if need be. Oh, im aware of the dangers of the night up there, i just didnt think it would be so extreme! Thankyou guys for all your advice by the way :)
FollowupID: 766312

Follow Up By: GimmeeIsolation - Saturday, Jul 14, 2012 at 15:35

Saturday, Jul 14, 2012 at 15:35
Retail you will get a job first week or two. There are some local driving jobs that come up regularly but you will need a forklift ticket, some experience and be healthy and not on the hoota.
People have to know that the mines do not just take anybody just because they have vacancies and you need a job. There are a lot of Psych tests before you get in the mines (if you do) unless you know somebody and you do need some good references . Mine jobs are not the greatest either, I did it for decades.
The money is good but your partner will be away for a long time and doing night shifts - 12 hours, day after day not getting much sleep does get to you. Its not for everybody. Sometimes just working hard for somebody else and getting to see your other half each night is better. Life is not just about money. Your only here for a short time.
Re the dangers at night, this is not a sleepy little town it use to be just as you shouldn't walk home at night anymore in most towns around Oz unfortunately.
Its just that we have had some disgusting things happen that I don't want to hear happen again to anybody and unfortunately its usually visitors that are not told of the dangers (or do not believe it could happen here) that become the victims.
FollowupID: 766322

Reply By: broometime - Saturday, Jul 14, 2012 at 11:16

Saturday, Jul 14, 2012 at 11:16
completely agree,been here 8 years. i,m ok i,m retired. if you want to get ahead wages are low,cost of living high in broome rents ect .crime is high.but i love it.
good luck..
AnswerID: 490915

Reply By: ReCon - Sunday, Jul 15, 2012 at 17:03

Sunday, Jul 15, 2012 at 17:03
Ok EmmaC1, I will put a dampener on things firstly just so you know what really happens in NW towns , then hopefully point you in the right ?] direction.

Firstly , when you budget living in Broome , work out your numbers , then times it by 10.
Prices are extremely high in the Kimberly , and fuel, food, rent ect will likely outstrip your wage earning capacity with just retail experience .

Secondly , your partner driving trucks and working in the mines is a bit of a pipe dream as it is. Firstly truck drivers in WA are a dime a dozen. Demand is quickly filled as there a close to a thousand HR licenses handed out every week on West Oz.

Getting 'in the mines' is also a bit of a furthy until you either know someone , or have more qualifications.
If your 'other half' has his HR license and has done for over 12 months , get him to get his HC [Heavy Combination]. This allows him to drive single trailer semis , something that will increase his chance of employment 10 fold.

AS virtually unskilled people [sorry to be blunt] , you will not LIVE in Broome , but you might SURVIVE in Broome , something that is not as romantic as it sounds.

Add air-con bills/power in the wet plus your neighbours in the 'Bronx' , things will be most unpleasant once the weather heats up.

Best bet is to 'ticket up' in Vicco firstly , as it is extremely expensive in WA. Rigger and Dogman tickets will be handy for minesite entry accompanying the HC license, and anything you can do apart from retailing will be a big step forward.

Now get stuck into it and don't go to the Nor'west with rose coloured glasses on , things are certainly different once you are no longer a tourist! :)
AnswerID: 491021

Sponsored Links