UHF radio alternative use?

Submitted: Friday, Jul 13, 2012 at 21:48
ThreadID: 96856 Views:3282 Replies:6 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
At the risk of plagiarism or copyright? ...certainly not intentional.......this is a cut and past from another web site

"I actually made a gadget to hook to the UHF in my car.....
You set it on a quiet channel which is easy in the hard to get to places, turn the squelch right up or use selcall / ctss etc and when you forget where the car is just dial the hand held you take with you to that channel press transmit and un-mute the vehicle radio, and it blows the vehicle horn so you can get your bearings again
Never really had to use it to save my life, but it works."

I posted a question to the original poster a few days ago ..no reply as yet....but I am impatient sort of beggar at times

maybe he/she is out the bush or whatever however curiosity has got to me as I reckon it is damn good idea

QUESTION....is it "dooable" for us average intelligence blokes or is this some serious electronic wizardry beyond the realm of some of us mere mortals?

Life is a journey, it is not how we fall down, it is how we get up.
VKS 1341

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Gone Bush (WA) - Friday, Jul 13, 2012 at 22:08

Friday, Jul 13, 2012 at 22:08
If you're that close to the vehicle use your remote alarm controller and set off the indicators or the siren or both.

I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 490875

Follow Up By: Member - bungarra (WA) - Friday, Jul 13, 2012 at 22:12

Friday, Jul 13, 2012 at 22:12
Talking about distances more like up to a km away............thick bush...alternative to GPS for a quick bearing check
VKS 1341

FollowupID: 766263

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Friday, Jul 13, 2012 at 22:18

Friday, Jul 13, 2012 at 22:18
OK,

How's the temp down your way Graeme? Freezing?

I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 766264

Reply By: Stu & "Bob" - Friday, Jul 13, 2012 at 22:33

Friday, Jul 13, 2012 at 22:33
I normally just "mark" the spot with my GPS.

Works really well, especially in heavily timbered areas.

My .02

AnswerID: 490880

Follow Up By: Member - bungarra (WA) - Saturday, Jul 14, 2012 at 09:18

Saturday, Jul 14, 2012 at 09:18
I do the same with the GPS as stated in my post.

The reason for the original post was simply because when out prospecting the UHF is always on and the GPS is always off (after first creating the vehicles waypoint).......as it interferes with the detector signal.

Obviously I always keeps the vehicle position in mind but all of us at some time or another can easily have our bearings out by a few degrees and when some distance out (and in thick bush) it might be easier to double check where u think it is ( with a quick UHF PTT) as against stopping turning things off /on.

VKS 1341

FollowupID: 766277

Follow Up By: Member - bungarra (WA) - Saturday, Jul 14, 2012 at 09:19

Saturday, Jul 14, 2012 at 09:19
oooops

just read my original post..seems as though I didnt state my GPS ground rules ...thanks :)
VKS 1341

FollowupID: 766278

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Saturday, Jul 14, 2012 at 00:24

Saturday, Jul 14, 2012 at 00:24
Not hard to do at all. Both your radios need to have CTCSS (tone squelch) fitted. Your vehicle needs an external speaker or other audio output jack so you don't have to modify your radio.

You construct an external box that will detect an audio signal. Wire the detector so it will close a relay contact. Wire this contact into the vehicles horn circuit. Plug this into the audio output before you abandon your vehicle and set the tone squelch on.

When you wish to recover your vehicle, set your hand held to the vehicles receiving channel and tone squelch code. Press the PTT and whistle into the microphone. If you have set things up correctly then your detector box will detect your whistle and activate the vehicles horn. By using this method you don't have to open either radio, you will not have modified it and transgressed any law.

PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 490883

Follow Up By: PJR (NSW) - Saturday, Jul 14, 2012 at 08:27

Saturday, Jul 14, 2012 at 08:27
Jaycar kit shown in my post below to do what Peter says here.
FollowupID: 766274

Reply By: The Explorer - Saturday, Jul 14, 2012 at 01:10

Saturday, Jul 14, 2012 at 01:10
Hi

Plagiarism ? Not close. Mainly applies to copying word for word someone else’s work (i.e. research, time and effort) and passing it off as your own. Generally results in nothing more than bad Karma, so exponents of the art on this forum need not worry too much.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 490886

Reply By: PJR (NSW) - Saturday, Jul 14, 2012 at 08:26

Saturday, Jul 14, 2012 at 08:26
It may be okay in the remote bush but in a city where just about every channel is used the kids, or whomever worked out what was going on, would have a ball with it.

Electronically easy to do. You may even find an audio/sound detector kit at Jaycar all ready to solder together and plug in.

This sound-activated switch closes a relay
AnswerID: 490900

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Saturday, Jul 14, 2012 at 10:50

Saturday, Jul 14, 2012 at 10:50
With the little use you would be giving the system I don't think the kids would twig onto it. With the number of CTCSS tones available it would take a lot of fathoming to work out which tone you were using. The kids would also have to be in hearing range of your truck to experiment as well.

PeterD

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 766287

Follow Up By: PJR (NSW) - Saturday, Jul 14, 2012 at 13:19

Saturday, Jul 14, 2012 at 13:19
True about the kids and the city but my mind moved to the bush and I didn't think about the tones. You would only need any noise to break the squelch out there. And a bit of "test test One Two Hello Hello" would do.

Never use the CTCSS tones myself. I find them annoying when in open chat sessions with multiple vehicles.

FollowupID: 766301

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Saturday, Jul 14, 2012 at 09:15

Saturday, Jul 14, 2012 at 09:15
The old model GME TX4000 and TX4200 UHF's had an alarm feature built in to them in the factory. Or at least they had an alrm outlet on the back, can't remember which it was.

These sets could also be used to control pump switching in remote locations etc etc. Do remember that the alarm would only sound while the initial signal was received, then after that, the radio would 'beep' every 2 or 3 seconds.

Back when we got the phone on, in 1992, Telstra had an alarm hooked up to their HF radio. If they got a selcall signal, the vehicle's horn would sound. I thought this was pretty novel at the time, as we were only able to access radphone, through the RFDS Mt Isa base, for about 8 hrs/day., and even then there was a time limit on calls.

Radphone wasn't that bad, I used to be able to make 'calls, while out mustering in Toyota!

Bob.

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 490903

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Saturday, Jul 14, 2012 at 10:32

Saturday, Jul 14, 2012 at 10:32
Quote -"Telstra had an alarm hooked up to their HF radio. If they got a selcall signal, the vehicle's horn would sound"

When HF SSB became the norm we also had the introduction of transistorised transceivers. Transistors also made it much cheaper to build selcall into our transceivers. These featured external alarms.

Back in the HF AM days the RFDS developed an interesting call system. Their emergency medical kits all came with a whistle with two barrels. If the remote customers had an emergency between scheduled operations they would use this whistle. They operated the PTT switch, held the mike near their mouth and then blew into the barrels of the whistle in turn. It took both tones from the whistle to activate the call system.

This is a little more refined system than I explained above but this audio alarm system has been in use for more than 70 years. Anyone can add it to their CB radio providing they don't do it in a manner that compromises the type approval of their equipment.

PeterD

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 766285

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Monday, Jul 16, 2012 at 09:49

Monday, Jul 16, 2012 at 09:49
Thanks for informative follow-up, Peter.

Had seen a couple of those whistles, on stations I worked at, on Barkly Tablelands and East Kimberley. Think the transceivers were both Traegars.

In later years, had to use the single tone emergency signal a couple of times. Mt Isa base had suggested we extend call time from 15 secs to 30 or longer, to ensure "latching" at the base in bad atmospheric conditions. Was certainly one way to clear all chat off the frequency, once the alarm went off.

Were using Codan 7727B's then(and a newer Eprom(?) model, in blue-grey colour), until about 1995, when we put a UHF repeater at station. About that time, RFDS radphone and telegram services were suspended too, as "everyone" had a phone in outback by then. Massive loss of community after that, as no one would talk on HF regularly, but suppose that's progress.

You should write a blog about the changes in radio, you seen over the years, Peter,

Bob.

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 766488

Follow Up By: PJR (NSW) - Monday, Jul 16, 2012 at 10:37

Monday, Jul 16, 2012 at 10:37
That was interesting guys.

Bob don't start him. He will go on about chrystal sets.
FollowupID: 766493

Sponsored Links