Adjacent southern features of Sir Frederick Range - Carnegie

Submitted: Saturday, Jul 14, 2012 at 12:25
ThreadID: 96866 Views:1741 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

I'm trying to pinpoint a couple of features of Carnegie near Sir Frederick Range.

A low Tabletop and a bluff (see extract of exploration map)

Image Could Not Be Found

I think the low stoney hills are the range. I haven't been there so not familiar with the geography. Google Earth isn't much help.

Can anyone who has been there recall a bluff at the southern end of the range and a tabletop to the west south/west?

I could be out in my reckoning by 20 kilometres or so however think I'm on the right track. Any help appreciated.

Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Saturday, Jul 14, 2012 at 18:17

Saturday, Jul 14, 2012 at 18:17
Hi Alan

It has been a few moons since were out on top of the Sir Frederick Range, so I will now be putting the old grey matter into overtime, and hope that someone that has been there more recently will also to be able to comment.

The terrain in that part of the country is quite flat, with the small range the feature of the area. From the top of the Range, which is a good low range drive and quite rocky, there are unrestricted 360 degree views and from memory there were distant hills to the west, but a long way off.

Image Could Not Be Found

Image Could Not Be Found

From memory, The Sir Frederick Range would have been the higher Ranger, but then again the other distant hills may be taller when there first hand to see them. As for another Bluff, the top of the range where you can drive is the highest part of the range, and do not recall seeing any other tabletop feature.

This is not the type of answer that you are after, so like I said I hope someone else will come to your aid.

All the best.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 490948

Follow Up By: equinox - Saturday, Jul 14, 2012 at 20:40

Saturday, Jul 14, 2012 at 20:40
Hi Stephen,

Thank you for your reply. This piece of the puzzle is made more difficult as DWC has changed course at 90° right, and is harder to track.

"Distant hills to the west" is a great clue, perhaps the bluff is there.

Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 766358

Reply By: gke - Saturday, Jul 14, 2012 at 20:49

Saturday, Jul 14, 2012 at 20:49
Alan, I have two photos taken at the top of the road and as far as I can work out they are looking west and south-west Both show a low flat horizon with what could be a hint of distant ranges but certainly more than 20km away
I don't recall any bluff on the left as I drove up but must admit my eyes were on the road.
I will be north of the Rawlinsons in a few weeks and I'll try to remember to ask people who have come down the SBJ road if they can help.

Regards, Graham.
AnswerID: 490959

Follow Up By: equinox - Saturday, Jul 14, 2012 at 21:15

Saturday, Jul 14, 2012 at 21:15
Hi Graham,

Thanks. I take it the range is more west than south west?

It would be great if you could get some feedback from recent travelers. North of Rawlinsons hey? I'm jealous, take me a couple of shots of Mount Destruction will you? :-)

Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 766362

Reply By: gke - Saturday, Jul 14, 2012 at 21:45

Saturday, Jul 14, 2012 at 21:45
Yes, probably one of the photos is to the west.

Should be able to manage a photo or two, happy to oblige. I'm a fan of DWC too and want to see Carnegie Ra. if possible.

Regards, Graham
AnswerID: 490966

Sponsored Links