slide on camper

Submitted: Saturday, Jul 14, 2012 at 19:33
ThreadID: 96871 Views:2015 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi, I am fixing up a millard slide on camper 1980s model and was planning on beefing up the suspension on my 1994 vs commodore well back ute to haul her, any advice on suspension and tye down options would be appreciated.regards mark.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ross M - Saturday, Jul 14, 2012 at 23:13

Saturday, Jul 14, 2012 at 23:13
G'day Mark
Make sure you have a really effective anti sway bar on both the front and the back.
Also, if the ute has done a few km's then the rear wheel bearings may be a fair way through their life and may not like the constant load. New bearings might be a good idea for reliability. Cheaper than a failure somewhere.
Some advice from a spring manufacturer would be good to have so weight issues are covered.
Springs can't work without good shock absorbers and because of the extra weight/mass involved then they will have to match the load and springs in order to control it all.
These will be quite different to the std Commodore shocks.
Don't forget the front shocks as they receive the load under braking and some attention there may be necessary to maintain steering control under brakes.
AnswerID: 490977

Reply By: sweetwill - Sunday, Jul 15, 2012 at 09:54

Sunday, Jul 15, 2012 at 09:54
Hello Mark m8,
the vs was the last of the commodores that you could fit pump up shocks if you go that way have separate air lines for each shock Bill.
AnswerID: 490992

Follow Up By: Mikee5 - Sunday, Jul 15, 2012 at 17:50

Sunday, Jul 15, 2012 at 17:50
Hi Sweet Will,
I am not sure what you mean by pump up shocks, but I have Poly Air air bags in my VZ Commodore. Fitted myself, no problems.
FollowupID: 766431

Follow Up By: sweetwill - Monday, Jul 16, 2012 at 08:08

Monday, Jul 16, 2012 at 08:08
Hi Mikee5
Pump up shocks are shocks that you fit the same as your normal shocks but they have a air line that attaches to the shock then you run the line to a convenient location at the back of the ute/car and it has a normal valve that you pump up to the required hight, if memory serves me they were Munroe's all of the fittings and instructions come in the pack cheers Bill.
FollowupID: 766476

Sponsored Links