Ventilation for little Engel fridge in boot

Submitted: Monday, Jan 12, 2004 at 17:25
ThreadID: 9692 Views:3773 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,
I have picked up a little (& old for that matter) ,probably 13-15 litre Engel fridge. It has a green lid, with off-white plastic body. Does anyone remember these? I believe it may be called a Series A or Series B? I have tried to get information on it from the Internet to no avail. I don't even know when they made them.
In any case, I am wanting to take it on a few hard-top trips, and am wondering about running it in a boot. Will it definitely need more ventilation than what is afforded in a packed boot? I'm not wanting to sit it on the back seat, it would be a lethal missile in a crash or emergency braking situation.
How do people go with their bigger fridge in their 4WD, surely they would heat up the interior of the 4WD. Would you leave the window down a little?
My thought initially was to remove a rear parcel shelf speaker so that air can at least escape the boot and enter the cabin.
Anyone's thoughts?
Regards
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: allblack55 - Monday, Jan 12, 2004 at 18:40

Monday, Jan 12, 2004 at 18:40
Hi cw,
I have an Engel 10, same colour scheme as yours. If your unit has a `warmer` element on board as well then I can help you with some more info.
Leigh.
AnswerID: 42701

Follow Up By: cwebb - Monday, Jan 12, 2004 at 20:07

Monday, Jan 12, 2004 at 20:07
Hi Leigh, thanks for your post. It appears to be cooling only, with variable knob for refrigeration, and a freezing setting. It sounds like mine is a different version to yours. If yours is the same colour scheme, I imagine they ar eof a similiar vintage. Any ideas about the age of yours, etc?
FollowupID: 305058

Reply By: Member - Raymond - Monday, Jan 12, 2004 at 20:52

Monday, Jan 12, 2004 at 20:52
Hi
Yes Engel did bring out a 15 litre fridge freezer, it was in the early 80's from memory. You will find attaching a computer fan to the condensor of the fridge
regards Raywanderin' in retirement. victor 2010
AnswerID: 42721

Reply By: jemima puddle duck - Monday, Jan 12, 2004 at 21:22

Monday, Jan 12, 2004 at 21:22
gday c webb.
sorry i cant answer your question but its a little like one i was going to ask so ill highjack your post lol.
i just bought a 90 ltr weaco and the only place to fit it is in a big tool box up front of the camper.when its bolted in at the end where the motor/fan are theres about 200mm space behind it and im about to put some vents in that end(the type you see on caravans behind there frigde.does any one know is that will be enough to not let the fridge over heat.
thanks one and all.you reckon your cute
richard(eskimo)
but im a lot cuter

AnswerID: 42728

Follow Up By: William - Monday, Jan 12, 2004 at 22:10

Monday, Jan 12, 2004 at 22:10
You will probably need to worry about dust more than overheating.
Depends what type of roads you are going to travel on.
You will need an inlet and outlet vent to get air circulation.
FollowupID: 305076

Reply By: allblack55 - Monday, Jan 12, 2004 at 22:20

Monday, Jan 12, 2004 at 22:20
G`day again cw

the unit I have is model MHFD-010-A(10 litre) purchased in 1982, identical colour scheme but has a slide switch (warm-cool) between the DC receptacle and the cooling thermo. Has identical compressor to the 30litre model of similar vintage, consequently you can expect similar performance keeping in mind ventilation requirements. I have never seen another the same in all my travel but it is just as good( but tiny) compared to the larger ones and has the wamer as a bonus. I use it all the time in the boot of the sedan or behind the drivers seat of the Prado. I also have an owners guide if you want a copy just give a yell.

Leigh
AnswerID: 42742

Reply By: MARK (GEELONG) - Monday, Jan 12, 2004 at 23:27

Monday, Jan 12, 2004 at 23:27
I have one of these 15 litre Engels purchased new in 1981 and has never missed a beat.
Used it for a number of years as a truck fridge in the Kimberly and the NT
Have also used it in the boot of car with no problems overheating
It sits in the shed and gets brought out when needed and never misses a beat

I think the newer models draw a little less power but may not be as reiable as the older models

Put it in the boot and rest easy

RegardsMark (Geelong)
AnswerID: 42750

Sponsored Links