Supercharging a GU Patrol

Submitted: Monday, Jan 12, 2004 at 17:47
ThreadID: 9694 Views:10522 Replies:9 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Hey Guys....

Its been awhile since I have posted, just got back from a 2 week trip to Fraser everytime I go there it amazes me. My question today is in regards to supercharging a 99 4.2 diesel Patrol. Heaps of companies seem to offer a range of turbo charging systems for the Patrol but as yet I have not come across any offering to Supercharge it, CAPA performance has a kit but it is for the petrol Patrol. Also I was wondering about peoples opinions in regards to Supercharging vs Turbo. Having done some research I have founf that alot of marine engines are supercharged and that they perfer the loxer operating temperatures and the performance gains that receive from idle right up to operating RPM, I know that a turbo may offer higher Kilowatt gains if done properly but I am afer a minimal fuss / maintenance set up.

Cheers Peter
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: chrisfrd - Monday, Jan 12, 2004 at 21:24

Monday, Jan 12, 2004 at 21:24
G'day Peter,

It's just not worth it. You can if you wish, but the differences in cost are the killer. Performance wise, the truck is a different proposition to a marine application. Marine engines tend to drone on for hours or days at constant rates. Not that this would worry a turbo, but supercharging is always slightly cooler in terms of performance. Remember, that you are compressing air here. With the compression of the air, you are heating it considerably!

I would suggest that the money spent on the turbo charger would be a better spend. That and an Intercooler.
AnswerID: 42729

Follow Up By: cokeaddict - Monday, Jan 12, 2004 at 21:27

Monday, Jan 12, 2004 at 21:27
I agree with Chris,
Well said mate!!!I love it when you talk DIRTY !
FollowupID: 305068

Reply By: Member - AndrewPatrol - Monday, Jan 12, 2004 at 22:05

Monday, Jan 12, 2004 at 22:05
I know a bloke who is an outback challenge competitor (read serious power hunter)and has a 4.2 PETROL patrol that has asupercharger on it and a huge intercooler c/w water spray. he has endless trouble trying to get someone to sort it including the original fitters so he can get it reliable. I'd be going the proven reliable route of turbo. I know what you mean about the superchargers potential low down and even spread of grunt but reliability is the prime criterea in a 4wd.
AnswerID: 42740

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Monday, Jan 12, 2004 at 23:48

Monday, Jan 12, 2004 at 23:48
Im with you, I have the turbo, and next time IN going to go a supercharger.

You dont have AS many heat issues, you dont have turbo lag, if a turbo blows up, you get towed home, supercharger dies, you take the belt off and drive home.

They are HEAPS of $ but then so is a turbo with a good exhaust...

Wheres Chris, he has one, search the archives, he has a TD42 GQ with supercharger.
AnswerID: 42754

Follow Up By: Well 55 - Tuesday, Jan 13, 2004 at 08:42

Tuesday, Jan 13, 2004 at 08:42
If you no what to close up or that should be hold open you can still drive with a blown turbo. As long as no bits have come off into the motor.
FollowupID: 305105

Follow Up By: Mick - Tuesday, Jan 13, 2004 at 10:06

Tuesday, Jan 13, 2004 at 10:06
I stuck a toyota crown import s/charger on my old shortie before the new donk went in. It cost me $500 and installed it myself.
I ran 5psi right through the rev range, and in sand was F*!#ing excellent!
The only problem was, it was noisy!
I drove the thong for around 20k right up to the cape for 4 1/2 months, then went for the power up!
Well worth it Truckster!
FollowupID: 305108

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, Jan 13, 2004 at 22:35

Tuesday, Jan 13, 2004 at 22:35
Well..

And for the average pleb, removing a belt is easier. Lots less risk than if the blades of turbo have gone poo into the engine, but it would have probably stopped by then cause of it anyway.
FollowupID: 305184

Reply By: Billowaggi - Tuesday, Jan 13, 2004 at 00:12

Tuesday, Jan 13, 2004 at 00:12
Hi all , Sprintex do a supercharger kit for the 4.2 diesel patrol. One of my farmer customers had one on a GQ and had no mechanical probs in nearly 3000,000 k's The vehicle had a very hard life in this time, with 'young blokes' driving it and was used for towing a boom sprayer in the paddock an operation that kills four wheel drives! It was a good advertisment for NISSAN,
Regards Ken.
AnswerID: 42757

Follow Up By: CraigQ - Tuesday, Jan 13, 2004 at 00:23

Tuesday, Jan 13, 2004 at 00:23
A mate's father has a GQ 4.2D with a supercharger fitted and he rekons if if was to do it all again he would go with the turbo option. The supercharger fitted cost around $7000 plus exhaust system compared to a turbo which is around $4000 fitted with exhaust system.

The superchared diesel engine is very noisy.
FollowupID: 305085

Reply By: David N. - Tuesday, Jan 13, 2004 at 08:09

Tuesday, Jan 13, 2004 at 08:09
Colin (do a search) has a supercharger on his TD42 (I have driven it).
Most impressive. Lots of grunt from idle up! Somebody near Beenleigh did it for him with a Commodore supercharger I recall. He reads this forum often I gather so maybe he'll reply with some costs etc.
However I went the turbo option all the same with mine.. as I had a friend who had one "spare"- as he was getting a new factory turbo GQ.
Cheers
AnswerID: 42767

Reply By: LBJ - Tuesday, Jan 13, 2004 at 14:13

Tuesday, Jan 13, 2004 at 14:13
HI peter, supercharging is not a good option for automotive diesel engines. a perfect example for this is that diesel engines have a heap of torque already and not too much top end. this is where turbo's come into it! i see that someone has said that with supercharging you are compressing air. that is true but you are also doing relatively the same thing with a turbo. turbo charging generates about a 30% increase in top end performance which is great but remember 30% more performance = 30% more heat and 30% more wear and tear. i guess my point is that i would still highly recomend a turbo over a supercharger for sure. even if it does wear out your engine quicker......
AnswerID: 42807

Follow Up By: Jester - Tuesday, Jan 13, 2004 at 20:46

Tuesday, Jan 13, 2004 at 20:46
I am actually chasing torque rather than Kw's in this case and if I can get a similar increase in torque from a supercharger compared to a turbo, I think I will go the supercharger route. Turbos just run too hot I think and require more plumbing work to hook up the cooling for them whereas a supercharger does not....how knows everone has there opinion and they are all greatly appreciated, I just have to sift through them and sort out whats best for me....Cheers and safe 4WD ing
FollowupID: 305167

Reply By: colin - Tuesday, Jan 13, 2004 at 16:52

Tuesday, Jan 13, 2004 at 16:52
Hi all, i have a 92 GQ 4.2 diesal i have fitted a supercharger and i couldnt be happier, walks all over a turbo except in very high revs which i dont need to work at. American diesals in the 2nd war were super charged as were a lot of air craft there only down fall then was that the machining and metals where not up to the job, different nowadays with better tecnology.Mine is of a commodore and puts out 8psi at idle and all through the rev range, most of my driving on and of the road is done at between 1000 to 2000 revs, the tourqe is unbeleivable, around town i put it in 5th and drive around at 1000revs just like driving an auto. I fitted mine at about 230000ks and have done 50 to 60000ks since then and have had no problems at all, as for price it works out at about the same price as an intercooled turbo, other benefits are that you can also fit extractors which enhance the S/C. As for noise not a problem i do get a whistle but its not annoying. The mob that fitted mine is at Slacks Creek, they are On Track 4wd ph 32902533. I have heard people fitting them to cruisers and having the harmonic balancer let go and take out the radiator, whether thats all tojo donks im not sure. Put this set up in soft sand and they love it no more doing high revs to keep going, and as for towing they really come into thir own gives so much more rev range to work with. My set up cost me $5500 with 12 mths warranty. If i had the choice again i would deffinatly go the S/C. Col
AnswerID: 42829

Follow Up By: Jester - Tuesday, Jan 13, 2004 at 20:50

Tuesday, Jan 13, 2004 at 20:50
Thanks for the reply Col, I actually used to live around slacks creek, "if its not on moss street or around it its not available" we used to say, I will have to give On Track a call and see what they can do for me, I have also emailed Yella Terra as they seemed to have a fair bit of supercharging stuff, whill have to wait and see. Have you ever had your Patrol on a dyno just to see what it makes at the wheels?

Peter
FollowupID: 305169

Follow Up By: colin - Thursday, Jan 15, 2004 at 11:17

Thursday, Jan 15, 2004 at 11:17
Hi Jester, no i havent put it on a dyno as i feel the performance speaks for it self. Another piece of advice would be to up grade the standard clutch to a heavy duty job, more for piece of mind. Col
FollowupID: 305381

Reply By: Oilburner - Saturday, Jan 31, 2004 at 10:59

Saturday, Jan 31, 2004 at 10:59
Hi Peter, I'm mechanical engineer and what you are asking about I had as a subject in university. Both systems will give you heaps of power and torque, not only in the dyno figures but in terms of responsiveness and seat of the pants feeling. If you purchase either kit from a serious manufactures they will both be as reliable and will probably outlast your engine. Superchargers have the advantage of giving you that extra power from idle all the way to redline. Normally turbos take a second to build up speed from idle so you have turbo lag, that is the time that passes from the moment you hit the pedal to the moment you start feeling the engine deliver all its potential. Lately that advantage is becoming really slim, with the use of wastegates you can use smaller turbines that have lower inertias and spool up much faster, also some turbos are now coming with ball bearings that have lower friction and also help the turbine gain speed (and consecuently gain boost) in less time. One advantage of turbos over superchargers is the reason why trucks and buses use them. Both the turbo and the supercharger are basically air pumps, the difference lies in where the power to drive those pumps comes from. In the case of a turbo that power comes from exaust gases with energy that would otherwise have been tossed into the atmosphere. In the case of a supercharger that power comes from the flywheel; of course it drains lees power than what is gained by its use but it also means that overall the engine is less efficient. This means that for the same final power output a turbocharged engine is likely to burn less fuel than that same engine with a supercharger. How much more fuel? possibly not enough to make a difference unless you drive as many miles as a commercial truck. Its also true that greater top end power gains can be obtained with turbos but in a GQ I don't think you'll care much about that.
Years ago the advantage in terms of low end performance and response of the supercharger was evident, but lately turbo systems have been perfected to imitate the performance of a supercharger with the advantage of being quite less expensive.
If it were my truck I'd install a turbo + intercooler, but in the end it will boil down to costs and how much confidence you have in the manufacturer of either kit.

Hope this helps you in making your choice.
Regards,
Marcos.
AnswerID: 44944

Reply By: Ralph2 - Saturday, Jan 31, 2004 at 23:18

Saturday, Jan 31, 2004 at 23:18
Hi Peter, I know this is a late response and by now you may have made up your mind. I have an 80 series with a Sprintex 102 s/c put on by Power House in WA, done 90k no problems at all,cost $5200 fitted, The low down power is great when you need to crawl over rocks etc, 1200- 1500 rpm, most turbos are still sleeping and under the turbo they are gutless.
AnswerID: 45010

Sponsored Links