Caravan freezer

Submitted: Monday, Jan 12, 2004 at 18:11
ThreadID: 9695 Views:2247 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I have a 120ltr 240 volt domestic type freezer in my van. Can anyone tell me if this could be setup to run on a 12 volt inverter.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: David N. - Monday, Jan 12, 2004 at 20:04

Monday, Jan 12, 2004 at 20:04
Yes, most definately.
However, you would need a lot of power (solar panels or whatever) to keep it going. It would be more efficient to have a 12/24 volt compressor installed (Danfoss), however this would still need many amp/hours a day to run.
Not very practical really unless you have lots of power available.
AnswerID: 42712

Follow Up By: David N. - Tuesday, Jan 13, 2004 at 08:02

Tuesday, Jan 13, 2004 at 08:02
If you do go down that path, you need an inverter quite a bit larger than the rating of your freezer, as it needs a lot more current to start than run. I'd at least go for double the wattage you think you need to run the freezer. (Most inverters will allow some overload for a very brief period to help start your fridge motor)
FollowupID: 305096

Reply By: Member - Peter- Monday, Jan 12, 2004 at 20:15

Monday, Jan 12, 2004 at 20:15
If you contact Autofridge 02 9316 9539they do a 12/24v conversion on domestic frigs and freezers for use in RAPS and motorhomes. They also do them for camper conversions and vans.
AnswerID: 42714

Reply By: Member - Bob - Monday, Jan 12, 2004 at 20:32

Monday, Jan 12, 2004 at 20:32
does the plate on the fridge say how many watts it is? Of course you can get an inverter to suit. You just need to ensure that you have a big enough battery to run it. My guess would be that it would draw at least 3 times as much current as a 40 L Engel, so you may only get about 8 hours operation from a standard deep cycle battery. I think the Engel _Affordable_Storage_Drawers.aspx about 4 amps max so if my guess is correct you would need an inverter capable of delivering 3 times 12 times 4 which is about 160W. So to be safe go for a 400 W inverter. These cost about $200.Bob
AnswerID: 42718

Sponsored Links