Question: Birdsville Track

I'm thinking on doing the track sometime in August, from Melbourne to Mt Isa. I'm planning on being on my own with a stock 2011 2 door Wrangler. I welcome any advice regarding safety/radios/fuel/water/tyres/camping etc... on doing it by myself too... From some of you experienced adventurers out there...
Thanks in advance for your comments!
Pierre
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sigmund - Thursday, Jul 19, 2012 at 15:15

Thursday, Jul 19, 2012 at 15:15
Some good advice from a local (and we did the Tk with a Forester and CT a few weeks ago): 'you can get anywhere in this country as long as you're prepared to stop'!

We did it when it was rated by the SA authorities as 4WD only. There were long sections of dried ruts (the Foz clearance and track matched them fine) and some water over the road in places.

SA does road conditions notifications better than any other state I've been in, both online and on the big boards at the access points. The online link you can find here.

Others here have much more knowledge of the Tk than I do but following the notification and driving to the conditions got us through easily and we really enjoyed it.

There's a lot to see so take your time. Read Stephen L's (?) blog here.
AnswerID: 491241

Follow Up By: Member - Pierre G - Thursday, Jul 19, 2012 at 15:31

Thursday, Jul 19, 2012 at 15:31
Hi Sigmund,
Thank you very much for your answer and the link. I will check this out. I guess if ground clearance of the Forester was good enough the Wrangler should be OK.
Out of curiosity d you remember how much fuel you used, and what kind of tyre pressure you had?
Thanks!
FollowupID: 766723

Follow Up By: Sigmund - Thursday, Jul 19, 2012 at 15:59

Thursday, Jul 19, 2012 at 15:59
Yeah, the Foz has 20cm clearance, equiv. of a Prado. And that class of vehicle is what determines the rut dimensions.

I can dig out the fuel figures (and did all the calcs before going) but you can fill up at Mungerannie and then again at Birdsville. This isn't a Tk that needs a jerry with fuel for a topup unless conditions are atrocious and then the road is normally closed.

We run our AT light truck tyres at about 30% lower than the placarded figure which was a number recommended by outback locals. Have done 3 trips in that area without embarrassment! But do take two spare tyres; it's like insurance.

Good luck with the trip; it's a great part of the country, and Birdsville has lots to offer too.
FollowupID: 766724

Follow Up By: Member - Pierre G - Thursday, Jul 19, 2012 at 18:13

Thursday, Jul 19, 2012 at 18:13
Thanks Sigmund, most helpful.
I did the Oodnadatta track last year by motorcycle, it was easy enough. If the Birdsville one is similar it should be a breeze then.
Thanks for the advice on tyres. I will keep the goodyear wranglers that are on it as they proved very good already last summer in the Flinders (and up the Skytrek! Great ride) so I'm not too worried.

I really appreciate your answers!

Regards
FollowupID: 766739

Follow Up By: Sigmund - Thursday, Jul 19, 2012 at 18:29

Thursday, Jul 19, 2012 at 18:29
Pierre, k, so you're familiar with the terrain.

The B/ville shouldn't have gibbers (I can't remember them anyway) but its condition can change o/n.

When it's been graded you can hammer down it at speed. Next day ...

We've done the Ood twice and found it more challenging than the one occasion on the B/ville.

(I ride a Fireblade but no way will I try a Nick Saunders effort!)
FollowupID: 766741

Reply By: SueB - Thursday, Jul 19, 2012 at 16:26

Thursday, Jul 19, 2012 at 16:26
Hi

We have done the track in 2 very different vehicles - the first being our trusty HZ way back in 1995 with only one flat tyre, and our current car Land Rover Disco 3 in 2011. It comes down to being prepare with the correct recovery gear and driving to the condtions. Mind you the Cooper Creek was not in flood back in 95. You will have a great time, all the best.

Tony and Sue
AnswerID: 491246

Follow Up By: Sigmund - Thursday, Jul 19, 2012 at 16:37

Thursday, Jul 19, 2012 at 16:37
Yeah. And to be doubly clear, kit up with good tyres and spares.

Cry once.
FollowupID: 766729

Follow Up By: Member - Pierre G - Thursday, Jul 19, 2012 at 18:16

Thursday, Jul 19, 2012 at 18:16
Thanks Tony and Sue,

I'm looking forward to doing this. after checking it looks like Coopers creek is dry, but of course I will check again before I leave!

I'll post some news when I get closer to the date and going there.

Again thanks for your comments

Pierre
FollowupID: 766740

Sponsored Links