actions of one could ruin for all

Submitted: Friday, Jul 20, 2012 at 13:00
ThreadID: 96985 Views:3052 Replies:7 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
there is nothing i love more than packing the fourby up for the weekend and heading out pig hunting with the dogs unfortunately the actions of one person that has surfaced this week on the internet casts all hunters with the same sword most hunters are responsible and take their sport seriously and dont not cause excess suffering to the animal. pleae remember this when the government start jumping up and down calling for bans, the person in this video should be dealt with harshly and notthe general hunting population remember we are all out there enjoying the great outdoors in our own way and do help with the eradication of feral animals free of charge.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Min (NSW) - Friday, Jul 20, 2012 at 14:02

Friday, Jul 20, 2012 at 14:02
Hi Jezza,

I have nothing against pig hunting by people such as yourself who, as you said, are eradicating these very destructive feral animals and don't cause excess suffering to the animal. However, on the program I saw there were a number of people interviewed who appeared to have the same attitude as those in the clip. I would support an investigation into the sport so that rogue elements are brought to justice.

I am not what people may term an 'animal lover' but I abhor gratuitous violence towards any creature.

AnswerID: 491304

Reply By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Friday, Jul 20, 2012 at 14:28

Friday, Jul 20, 2012 at 14:28
What video are you talking about?

Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 491306

Follow Up By: Member - GregK5202 Qld - Friday, Jul 20, 2012 at 14:54

Friday, Jul 20, 2012 at 14:54
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-07-17/uproar-over-pigdoging-27bloodsport27/4136650

Hi Duncan,

My son sent me this a few days ago.

I agree 100% with Jezza77. It is always the few idiots whom ruin it for the many.

SSAA does a good job with it's Hunting and Conservation group which started in SA removing goats from the Flinders Range.

Greg K.
FollowupID: 766778

Follow Up By: Member - Broodie H3 - Friday, Jul 20, 2012 at 16:43

Friday, Jul 20, 2012 at 16:43
I don't mind doing the hunting, and the shooting but what I have just seen is unbelievable, they should not be allowed to own dogs, I have never treated any animal like that. These people will spoil a sport for everyone. if you can call it a sport.
Broodie H3
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 766791

Follow Up By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Friday, Jul 20, 2012 at 19:09

Friday, Jul 20, 2012 at 19:09
Thanks Greg, just watched the video. They once made a movie about people like them and I think it was Deliverance.

It doesn't matter whether the pigs are feral or not no animal should be abused and tortured like those guys were doing. I think the biggest feral animals were the guys goading their dogs on and then wounding the pigs to incense their dogs more.

I hope they get called to task!

Agree whole heartedly with what others are saying the actions of these fools will ruin the sport for those who do the right thing.

Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 766798

Reply By: Bush Wanderer - Friday, Jul 20, 2012 at 17:21

Friday, Jul 20, 2012 at 17:21
It's the minority few that screw it up for us all.

BW.
AnswerID: 491315

Reply By: Kate5 - Friday, Jul 20, 2012 at 20:26

Friday, Jul 20, 2012 at 20:26
I would consider myself an animal / nature lover,I'm a country vet nurse and even go as far as saying a greeny (depending on your take of the word) I am also a practical person. Feral animal or any animal need a little bit of respect n how they are killed. But at the end of the day people need to stop jumping on a band wagon due to a few clips they see on youtube or the news with no other background knowledge of what goes on.
While I have no wish to go pig or roo hunting at any stage I have no objection to others doing it. 99% of people who hunt look after their dogs, kill as cleanly as possible have fun and do the countryside a favour at the same time.

The live export ban was caused by the same thing a few people causing trouble for a relatively well organised industry. I'd hate to see some of these people spend a day working in cattle yards when cutting, de-horning and branding is being done it's done as humanely as possible but is still gruesome in alot of cases, but the damage from not doing it is alot worse down the track.

My last gripe is Rodeos - many are the heart of country areas where young and old come together for a day or a weekend of fun. All the uneducated (often city people not meaning to offend) see is animals being used for the fun of people. They do not stop and think about what would happen to the broncs if they were no Rodeos. Many are horses that were no able to be broken in so they were given to rodeo contractors the only other option would have been the doggers. the Bulls would be straight to the meatworks instead of spending probably 200 days a year in a paddock eating or being fed living the dream life. Sick animals don't buck so these animal are kept healthy. When accidents happen and they get hurt if it is treatable they are seen by the vet or put down humanly if it is serious. Yet they cry that it's cruel some of these animals are treated better thank pet horses. These horses work for their living and most love it 8 seconds work a few times a year is a pretty good life to me. I've seen some of the older broncs and bulls buck their heart out for 8 seconds and stop on the spot when the buzzer sounds...

Sorry to go on a bit of a side track rant but it's the same people that cause all the problems... those that take the actions of a few video clips as being indicative of the whole sport or business..

It's not fair and its time for the majority to stand up and be heard.....

AnswerID: 491330

Follow Up By: Skippype - Friday, Jul 20, 2012 at 22:10

Friday, Jul 20, 2012 at 22:10
Well said Kate. I could not agree more......Its the bad few along with the publishers and TV stations selling stories that cause these uproars. Then the pollies jump on the band wagon and next thing you know we have a knee jerk reaction that later on proves to be just plain stupid.
FollowupID: 766810

Follow Up By: Member - Bucky - Saturday, Jul 21, 2012 at 07:48

Saturday, Jul 21, 2012 at 07:48
Very well said Kate !

I grew up on a Dairy farm in South Gippsland, Victoria
I am a shooter, and 61 years young.
I kill as quick and as clean as possible.
I hate what a few idiots do to ruin our sport, and then put it on youtube.

That is all the media needs to sensationalize things, and we know just how much they do that.

You know we used to call sensationalizing "bull bleep ", once, just because that what it is !

Cheers
Bucky

FollowupID: 766819

Reply By: Wilko (Parkes NSW) - Friday, Jul 20, 2012 at 21:50

Friday, Jul 20, 2012 at 21:50
Agree Jezza,

I dont do it any more but fully support your sport. Did a lot when I was younger & got a lot of mates who do it, unfortunately you cant legislate against simpletons.

Cheers Wilko
AnswerID: 491336

Follow Up By: Member - Keith P (NSW) - Friday, Jul 20, 2012 at 22:48

Friday, Jul 20, 2012 at 22:48
just look a the huge knee-jerk the feds did to the live cattle industry in northern Australia over the four corners docco. Laudded and blasted by the media. No doubt there is/was a case to answer ...but not the way the feds did it. It is mooted that the northern cattle industry was brought to its knees by the action of a few brain dead imbeciles...and lots in that industry may never recover.

Cheers Keith
Nothin is ever the same once I own it ...........

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 766812

Follow Up By: Bazooka - Friday, Jul 20, 2012 at 23:24

Friday, Jul 20, 2012 at 23:24
You're totally off track Keith. The industry body was responsible for the position live cattle farmers found themselves in. The govt's actions were totally appropriate.
FollowupID: 766813

Reply By: Bill BD - Saturday, Jul 21, 2012 at 10:26

Saturday, Jul 21, 2012 at 10:26
Rightly or wrongly I would think the sport is doomed to go the way of cock fighting, dog fighting, bull baiting, etc. Historically sports that pit one animal against in this way have eventually been banned. Videos such as those shown will hasten the inevitable. I couldn't watch all of it - filthy scum.

Is it the actions of one person? The report indicated there were a lot of videos for them to choose from but most were too graphic for television and I know I have met a fair number of people that laugh at cruelty. Although not typical I suspect it might be common enough. Many videos online will not be from Australia though I suppose...... does that make a difference.... dunno.
AnswerID: 491358

Reply By: Jezza77 - Sunday, Jul 22, 2012 at 12:29

Sunday, Jul 22, 2012 at 12:29
thanks to all who replyed i did the post to see the attitude of people who actually enjoy the bush, and not the people who determine the outcomes of such circumstances from their desk in the city
AnswerID: 491407

Sponsored Links