Diesel - Temp - Climbing Hills

Submitted: Monday, Jan 12, 2004 at 22:15
ThreadID: 9700 Views:2895 Replies:9 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
4.2litre Nissan GQ Engine........... I noticed in a previous post that someone mentioned that they're Navara diesel got hot when cruising up hills and replaced the clutch fan.........
My relationship with Nissan diesels has showed me that they always get noticably warmer when climbing steepish hills and then quickly settle back to cool when on flat ground again....

Is this normal??? or have i have three bad fans???

Temp gets to about 2/3 whilst climbing steep long hills on a 30+ degree day.......and sits on 1/3 the rest of the time.....___________________________________
Simpson trip 05/04 then turn left at Birdsville to Darwin via Lawn Hill etc

Reply By: Member - Peter [SA] - Monday, Jan 12, 2004 at 22:28

Monday, Jan 12, 2004 at 22:28
I had similar prob in a V8 falcon, radiator repairer, Natrad, on Oaklands Rd suggested that the core of my radiator was partially blocked with sludge and deposits. had the core replaced in my radiator and it was as good as gold. same problem you had, on a hot day going up cement hill at seacliff my temp guage would go to 3/4, once i got over the top of the hill it would settle back on around 1/3.
Cheers Peter
AnswerID: 42743

Reply By: Zapper - Monday, Jan 12, 2004 at 22:48

Monday, Jan 12, 2004 at 22:48
Voxson

My GQ and my old mans both do the same thing, 40+ days it gets higher even on big climbs, I ignore it now. Ours are both turbos. My mitsubishi truck also does the same thing, I am guessing its just the way they are
AnswerID: 42746

Reply By: cokeaddict - Monday, Jan 12, 2004 at 23:26

Monday, Jan 12, 2004 at 23:26
Hi Voxson,
Nope ....its prety much the norm mate. But hang around.... I am working on something with my GQ as we speak. If work allows me some free time, I am pretty sure i will have a simple fix for GQ turbo's soon. Form what i have done so far, its looking good.

Regards AngeloI love it when you talk DIRTY !
AnswerID: 42749

Follow Up By: David N. - Tuesday, Jan 13, 2004 at 07:36

Tuesday, Jan 13, 2004 at 07:36
Hey Angelo,
waiting with baited breath- not that I have a problem at this stage, although in very hot weather/steep hill/towing it gets rather warmish- but I've never had to stop yet. However I do a LOT of towing...

Please keep us informed, Cheers, David.
FollowupID: 305094

Reply By: Member - Ed. C.- Monday, Jan 12, 2004 at 23:45

Monday, Jan 12, 2004 at 23:45
I've been hangin' out here (& a few other forums) for several months now, & I've been beginning to wonder.. Am I the only one who does not have an "overheating" problem with Nissan 4.2 turbo's ???? (current drive is a GU purchased new in '99, "power-up" installed, previously had a GQ w/- AXT a/mkt. turbo, which my in-laws now own, & no "overheating" problems.. ever)...
I mean, how do you define "overheating" ??..
Many, many times I've been driving (& towing) in ambient temps. above 40deg.C., and sure, on a steady climb, the needle moves quite noticeably, but in my experience, with a healthy engine & a healthy cooling system, the needle will reach a certain point (about "3/4", whatever that means), and stay there, & as soon as the load is eased, it will quickly drop back to um, "normal"... I have never considered it to be a problem...
As far as I'm concerned, if there has been no loss of coolant, What's the problem??
Has it occurred to anyone that since the only "calibration" on the std. Nissan gauge is a "C" at one end & a "H" at the other, that just maybe, at the indicated "normal" temp., it is, in fact, running cooler than optimum?? JMO

Regards, Ed. C.Confucius say.....
"He who lie underneath automobile with tool in hand............
Not necessarily mechanic!!"
AnswerID: 42753

Follow Up By: David N. - Tuesday, Jan 13, 2004 at 07:43

Tuesday, Jan 13, 2004 at 07:43
Yeh Ed I basically agree.... although if your thermostat is doing the right thing the engine will not run too cool. (I did have to replace my 10year old thermostat a few years ago as it WAS running much too cool down hills)

I do a lot of heavy towing and I'll often see movement of the gauge from slightly below half to above 3/4 on a steep hill/hot day- but that is all. Never considered it a problem either. Maybe Nissans DO have a more "sensitive" gauge than some other makes.........
Cheers
FollowupID: 305095

Follow Up By: Big Trev - Tuesday, Jan 13, 2004 at 08:13

Tuesday, Jan 13, 2004 at 08:13
Hi Ed, I am with you, othere than when the fan coupling bleep itself, I have never had never had an overheating problem. I have been a truck driver (or associated with transport) since I was 18 driving diesels all this time. There has to be something seriously wrong for a diesel to boil.

Of course the temperture will rise when the vehicle is working hard, we all do. The most most important thing to do is to constantly watch the temp gauge.

Three quarters does not mean boil, red normally means boil (or close to it).

Remember the temp has to get quite high before the fan coupling and the thermostat start to work properly.
FollowupID: 305099

Reply By: Well 55 - Tuesday, Jan 13, 2004 at 08:38

Tuesday, Jan 13, 2004 at 08:38
I've just come back from the Vic Alps and in the GU turbo the same thing happens on a steep climb with A/C on it goes up to 3/4 in no time at all then the A/C cuts out and does not come bak on until it drops back to just below 1/2.

Without the A/C on it still gets hot but takes a lot longer.

Bit of a pain when you want to keep all the dust out.

This happens on the highway as well if you push it up long climbs.
AnswerID: 42770

Reply By: uppy - Tuesday, Jan 13, 2004 at 10:06

Tuesday, Jan 13, 2004 at 10:06
Hi Voxson my patrol in NZwould get up to about 3\4 on steep hills ,which we have alot off.This was normal for my truck which i had for 5 years ,I wouldnt worry to much about mate.Sorry I didnt get a photo of the L\C,the boys say hello. will ring soon to catch up
regards uppy
AnswerID: 42778

Reply By: pedro the swift - Tuesday, Jan 13, 2004 at 14:44

Tuesday, Jan 13, 2004 at 14:44
The rise in temp under load is quite normal as others here have said. As long as it stays below critical(boiling) and there is no loss of coolant there is no problem.

Over the years I have discovered that the most critcial item in engine operation is coolant. More engines are destroyed/damaged through loss of coolant than any other cause.
Yet I am not aware of any cars which have a suitable coolant loss/ overtemp alarm.

Most drivers will tend to forget their gauges when driving, particularly at night. Its only when you notice a sluggishness or steam escaping or a burning smell that drivers will check thier gauge. By then of course its too late.

I think a overtemp/coolant level alarm should be fitted as standard to vehicles to protect the engine even to the point of shutting them down. It would be very inexpensive to install in todays cars with all the sensors already fitted.

By alarm of course I mean an audible alarm not just an idiot light. This would have saved me at least three engine rebuilds over my years of driving.
AnswerID: 42812

Follow Up By: Shaker - Tuesday, Jan 13, 2004 at 21:06

Tuesday, Jan 13, 2004 at 21:06
You can fit a fluid flow alarm ....... also oil temperature guage would be more value than water temp gauge, as temp guage drops after coolant loss!
FollowupID: 305170

Reply By: Member - JohnR - Tuesday, Jan 13, 2004 at 18:16

Tuesday, Jan 13, 2004 at 18:16
Voxson, I always wonder what the standard is of the senders and guages in out vehicles, there only has to be a bad one or two and we will never know what makes engines fail. The other thing is the quality and the specification of thethermostat, was the selection correct at replacement?

If everything is ok one would have thought that the engine should run reasonably warm anyway as long as the driver heeds warnings. Reading Pedros post I can agree that a shutdown mechanism or better warning should be readily available. I have a Watchdog type system on a pump motor that cost about $250 that is very good on temperature and oil pressure as well as others which ever way I want to go. Shuts down very quickly if offended.

I was told by a guy with a 3" exhaust that cured his overheating problems. Who am I to disbelieve him, could stand to reason too, I know how I am breathing better. LOLRegards

JohnR - Not enough of the right travelling, some here..... some over there.......
AnswerID: 42839

Follow Up By: Member - Ric- Friday, Jan 16, 2004 at 02:52

Friday, Jan 16, 2004 at 02:52
Guess what John I have GU patrol with turbo and aftermarket intercooler and 3" exhaust andddddddd i still does the same - runs hot towing up hills .... ric
butttt according to Nissan normal temp is between C and H
FollowupID: 305515

Follow Up By: Roachie - Friday, Jan 16, 2004 at 12:15

Friday, Jan 16, 2004 at 12:15
Mine is the same. 2000 4.2t/d (no intercooler). I've put a bonnet scoop over the turbo (tried it facing both forwards and rearwards), have a full 3" mandrel bent system with tiny little hotdog muffler and no catalytic converter, includes a Binskins dump pipe off turbo. I've removed the plastic mud splash gaude under the radiator and might even remove the ARB steel gaude under the bullbar and winch. I've moved the Lightforce 240's to the top of the bull bar....but it still gets hotter than it should and air con goes off at the worst possible times.
Next jobs will be a cooler thermostat, new viscous fan coupling and possibly custom made radiator. With regard to this last idea, there was an article in the September 2003 issue of 4WD Monthly mag about a heavily worked over GU ute belonging to Emil Yarullin. On page 142 there is a photo of the engine bay showing the new radiator and a top mounted intercooler too. It says it is a "PWR radiator". Has anybody heard of these or know where I can get one from? I reckon it looks like it would be a 3 core unit instead of the standard 2 core.
I love my Datto, but want to cure this one nagging problem.
FollowupID: 305538

Reply By: Bob - Saturday, Jan 17, 2004 at 15:45

Saturday, Jan 17, 2004 at 15:45
I found that the overheating on my 4.2 TD, (severe when towing a heavy van up long slow hills)
was caused by the lower radiator hose sucking flat at the bottom bend.
High revs in lower gears = more water pump suction and hose partly collapses.
Collapsed hose = restricted water flow.
Cure is to insert spring in lower hose.
Problem was hard to find but next time your engine overheats keep motor at v/fast idle and quickly check hose before it has time to re expand.
AnswerID: 43341

Follow Up By: Waynepd (NSW) - Saturday, Jan 17, 2004 at 20:58

Saturday, Jan 17, 2004 at 20:58
Bob,
This topic has come up recently on the Nissan Patrol List on Yahoo, mainly relating to GU 4.2 turbos and non-turbos, my GU patrol has this problem too. I was just shy of the "H" mark while towing my camper with family and dog in the car climbing up to Barrington tops.....

Nissan has a new thermostat that cuts in at a lower temp apparenly its an Arab Spec thermostat.
No-one came up with the hose sucking itself flat tho I can see that happening when you are in the lower gears towing up a steep hill and the hoses are getting a little old. Might try that fix myself.....

Bob would you mind me quoting this in the Patrol List, there are some desperate drivers looking for answers at this time of the year....Cheers
waynepd
%
%:-)
%
FollowupID: 305659

Follow Up By: Bob - Sunday, Jan 18, 2004 at 11:06

Sunday, Jan 18, 2004 at 11:06
Not at all Wayne, spread the word.
Since sold my Patrol so don't partake in "Patrol" forums.
FollowupID: 305714

Sponsored Links