inverter use

can you knowing folks tell if an inverter can be pluged into the nearest powerpoint when van is not hooked up to 240 so we can use hardwired stuff like rangehood,we also have w/machine in a cupboard, it has its own p/point ,just dont want to have ext/leads all over the place when free camping thanks for a great forum
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ross M - Sunday, Jul 22, 2012 at 14:38

Sunday, Jul 22, 2012 at 14:38
To do that you would have to have a male ended plug on both ends of the lead.
Very dangerous to have as there won't be much/any safety associated with it's use.
It is illegal so you are on your own there.

Can't see why you can't have a normal lead from inverter to the 240 in of the c'van. That way it has to come out when 240v grid is around and no mistakes are made.

If you get electrocuted by the bodgy plug you may not do it again. Death is so pemanent.

Rangehood OK, W'machine? depends on the ratings of the inverter and the w'machine. W'machine will use a lot of battery though.
AnswerID: 491411

Reply By: Member - Alan H (QLD) - Sunday, Jul 22, 2012 at 15:13

Sunday, Jul 22, 2012 at 15:13
I take it you mean using an external inverter connected say to a vehicle and have the 240 output plugged into your van to run devices like you do when connected in a park????????

If this is so then you will be restricted by the size of the inverter and the size of the battery it is connected to.

Beyond a quick test of something in the van it doesn't sound very safe or practical as I doubt you will have 15 amps like a van park. To get this would require an inverter approx 3600 watt and I doubt your vehicle battery could stand it.

Sorry if I have misinterpreted what you mean.

Alan
AnswerID: 491413

Reply By: oldtrack123 - Sunday, Jul 22, 2012 at 17:06

Sunday, Jul 22, 2012 at 17:06
Hi
If you mean what I think you mean by"if an inverter can be plugged into the nearest PowerPoint " IN THE VAN

NO . NEVER
Where would you get such a lead
It would have to be an illegally made up or modified lead
It could have deadly consequence even being around
If someone was electrocuted YOU & whoever made such a lead up could face manslaughter charges

"Portable" inverters or generators are not to be played with
They have enough potential to kill as it is

The standard safety recommendation to minimize risk is to only have ONE Class 1 device connected AT ANY TIME[ have 3pin plugs ]
You may connect multiple Class 2 [2 pin plugs] with a high level of safety from shocks to earth

Even plugging the inverter into an outside power inlet [the normal 240c inlet ]increases the risk as the van itself is the ONE Class1 device

The van RCD, if fitted, IS NOT FUNCTIONAL

In the event of a combination of common faults, some one could receive a shock or worse

Please use ANY auxiliary source of 240v with GREAT care
THIS includes generators

Peter
AnswerID: 491420

Reply By: Bush Wanderer - Sunday, Jul 22, 2012 at 21:02

Sunday, Jul 22, 2012 at 21:02
Many vans have all power points in the van wired to the inverter of an appropriate size, but need a switch over for when the van is plugged into mains.

You could have a Qualified sparky wire this setup easily enough.

BW.
AnswerID: 491444

Follow Up By: oldtrack123 - Monday, Jul 23, 2012 at 11:45

Monday, Jul 23, 2012 at 11:45
Hi BW
Yes
AND hopefully THAT licensed sparky has the knowledge & KNOWS the rules so it is done correctly.

Sadly many do not
I have just been involved with a set up done by a licensed sparky who issued a compliance cerificate
The job looks great , neat, tidy , plenty of overload circuit breakers [ far more than required or necessary. two RCds
Yep, LOOKS GREAT & Bloody useless.

Peter
FollowupID: 766940

Reply By: Dennis Ellery - Sunday, Jul 22, 2012 at 21:41

Sunday, Jul 22, 2012 at 21:41
Yes electrically it will work – but you will have a number of safety problems.
1. You will have to a lead with 2 male plugs on it – a real no no.
2. You will have multiple outlets running off your inverter and if you have an earth fault you will create a dangerous situation.
Don't do it.
AnswerID: 491450

Reply By: PJR (NSW) - Monday, Jul 23, 2012 at 12:30

Monday, Jul 23, 2012 at 12:30
Yes it CAN be plugged in. No you MAY BOT because it is illegal.

And thirdly if you do and something happens then you will be held accountable for any and all hospital bills, repairs and maybe even death.

Sorry but don't do it.
AnswerID: 491485

Follow Up By: PJR (NSW) - Monday, Jul 23, 2012 at 12:31

Monday, Jul 23, 2012 at 12:31
Spelling (&*^%(^%&(^

That was meant to be "MAY NOT"
FollowupID: 766945

Sponsored Links