Hot wheel hubs

Submitted: Wednesday, Jul 25, 2012 at 10:16
ThreadID: 97075 Views:2306 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I'm the proud owner of a 1972 toyota coaster motorhome, and have been living in it for over a year now touring with the usual hassles you get with a vehicle this old.
There has been one problem though which I haven't been able to figure out.

A fair while back I got the brakes overhauled at Cairns brake and clutch, but the mechanic there overtightened all the wheel bearings and so we had a blow out when we got to Normanton (which took 2 weeks to get parts to...), then after that I was pretty paranoid about any heat coming off the wheel hubs.

After backing off the rear bearings, and driving for a while they were still getting really hot (too hot to touch), So I tried backing off the rear brakes (maybe they were rubbing on the hubs) but didn't help. Then I had the bearings replaced by a great mechanic at mount Isa (Kev's automotive), but still no go...

I've run out of ideas now, maybe the drive axles are warped or something? I've taken them out and they seem pretty straight.
I have no idea. If anyone has any ideas I'd love to hear them, I'm completely puzzled by this, maybe they are just meant to run really hot..?

Any help would be appreciated

~ John -http://www.lemonmotorhome.blogspot.com
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Wednesday, Jul 25, 2012 at 10:55

Wednesday, Jul 25, 2012 at 10:55
John,

Since Kev's Automotive replaced the bearings, how hot do they get? How long can you keep your hand on the hubs? If you can keep your hand on the hub for 15 - 20 seconds without suffering severe burns then they should be oaky.

I sometimes act as a steering wheel attendant in one of these units in the photo, and the wheel hubs vary in temps from "hot" to "sh*t, that's hot", but have never (yet) suffered any bearing failures. Don't forget that if you pull up along the road to check the hubs, if you use the brakes to any extent, this will elevate the hub temps too.

Image Could Not Be Found

While the Coaster is your home, underneath it all, it's really a light truck in disguise.

Bob.

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 491631

Follow Up By: Scrapchin - Wednesday, Jul 25, 2012 at 11:06

Wednesday, Jul 25, 2012 at 11:06
Thank you! That is exactly what I wanted to hear, They are generally not too hot that you can't keep your hand on them for 10-15 seconds, although sometimes after a long drive they can be pretty hot.

I've got some spare bearing kits now anyway, so if there are any more blow outs then I'll just replace them and hope there was no permanent damage from the failure.

Thanks for your advice. That's a big weight off my shoulders. Now I can drive around worry free :)
FollowupID: 767138

Follow Up By: Member - nick b - Wednesday, Jul 25, 2012 at 12:03

Wednesday, Jul 25, 2012 at 12:03
The heat may be getting transferred from your diff ? have you checked that .

How long in time does it take to reach high temp ?

do the hubs get very hot & stabillise or do they increase in heat the more you drive ? .......this can be dangerous as they could catch on fire !!!!!

cheers nick
Cheers Nick b

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 767142

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Thursday, Jul 26, 2012 at 13:41

Thursday, Jul 26, 2012 at 13:41
Your hubs usually get hot from the brakes, not from the bearings.
AnswerID: 491707

Reply By: Scrapchin - Thursday, Jul 26, 2012 at 18:05

Thursday, Jul 26, 2012 at 18:05
I'll crawl under and check the diff for heat after a drive. I've changed the diff oil recently but not checked it for heat, as the front hubs get hot as well.
They usually get hotter after a long drive, and when driving at faster speeds (e.g highway), They are generally bearable to touch for about 5 seconds but can get really hot on a hot day.
AnswerID: 491719

Sponsored Links