Fraser Island

Submitted: Wednesday, Jul 25, 2012 at 17:33
ThreadID: 97083 Views:2422 Replies:6 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all, going to Fraser Island in September, the Victorian school holidays. Would Central Station be the best place to camp a camper trailer or too busy. Are there lots of sandflies about or anything we should be aware of except of course the dingos. Never been before - famiily of 4. Appreciate any advise.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: rumpig - Wednesday, Jul 25, 2012 at 17:46

Wednesday, Jul 25, 2012 at 17:46
just so you know, the Victorian holidays are on at same time as Qld holidays.
can't help with info on what campground to stay at, as we always camp on the beach. for me central sation doesn't look to get a lot of sunlight, and i'd expect mozzies to be a problem. i'd look at Dundaburra as an option if you feel the need to be in a fenced area, or i have heard quite a few people on MySwag forum say they like Dilli Village due to it's grass and the fact you can have a fire there, but it's a bit far south on the island for my personal preferance.
AnswerID: 491663

Follow Up By: rumpig - Wednesday, Jul 25, 2012 at 17:49

Wednesday, Jul 25, 2012 at 17:49
oh for an edit feature....sation should be station...and i meant that i can't help with info when it comes to actually staying at those locations myself.
FollowupID: 767179

Follow Up By: JANE R - Wednesday, Jul 25, 2012 at 20:46

Wednesday, Jul 25, 2012 at 20:46
Thanks for your advice really appreciate it will look at Dundaburra i think.
FollowupID: 767196

Reply By: mountainman - Wednesday, Jul 25, 2012 at 18:17

Wednesday, Jul 25, 2012 at 18:17
we went after june long weekend.
if you camp on the beach.
do not let kids out of sight.

mate went for a fish, and had the bait bag with him, on the beach, and walked like 20mtrs, dingo took the bag.

that night we had at least 5 dingos comming through our camp. within a metre of us.
we all slept in cars that night, they were not AFRAID AT ALL.
we stayed at the electric fence caravan park just up the beach.

definatly worth going!!
AnswerID: 491665

Reply By: Member - Michael and Chris (QL - Wednesday, Jul 25, 2012 at 19:47

Wednesday, Jul 25, 2012 at 19:47
Hi Jane,
We camp on the beach just north of Eli Creek most times. I have two boys and yes there are Dingoes but they don't worry us. The most important thing is not to leave food lying around. We educate the kids about the dingoes and how to behave around them. We often sit on the dunes with a cuppa at sunrise and watch the Dingoes wander about doing their thing, no problems. Dingoes are one of the main attractions on Fraser and should be enjoyed not feared. Last trip we camped in Swags and woke up to see footprints next to our swag nearly every morning. Apparently my snoring doesn't deter them. One thing to remember is September the Dingoes have pups so extra caution should be taken. September also has beautiful weather as it is not too hot nor too cold and you can still see the Whales passing by. My advice would be to camp on the beach (close to others if you like) and enjoy the Island and it's animals. Cheers MickImage Could Not Be Found
AnswerID: 491672

Follow Up By: JANE R - Wednesday, Jul 25, 2012 at 20:45

Wednesday, Jul 25, 2012 at 20:45
Many thanks for your advice can't beat first hand knowledge.
FollowupID: 767195

Follow Up By: Member - Michael and Chris (QL - Wednesday, Jul 25, 2012 at 21:25

Wednesday, Jul 25, 2012 at 21:25
Jane.
You will love Fraser, I hope you post lots of pics of your trip when you return. Cheers Mick
FollowupID: 767204

Follow Up By: Member - Michael and Chris (QL - Wednesday, Jul 25, 2012 at 21:36

Wednesday, Jul 25, 2012 at 21:36
Jane,
I forgot to add that I have never experienced sandflys on the Eastern beach in September nor had any problem with mozzies. When choosing your camp location, take into account the tide times and remember the beach is the main road from north to south. It can take some time to travel to places like Lake Mackenzie on the inland tracks with a stop at Pile Valley and Central Station so knowing the tide times is a must.
FollowupID: 767207

Reply By: Member - Greg H (NT) - Thursday, Jul 26, 2012 at 12:00

Thursday, Jul 26, 2012 at 12:00
Don't forget Cathedral Beach camp ground. Yes they are more expensive but the facilities are good and improving. Was there about 8 weeks ago, had a good time.

Cheers
Greg
Tomorrow is here!

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 491699

Follow Up By: Sunshine Saint - Thursday, Jul 26, 2012 at 15:29

Thursday, Jul 26, 2012 at 15:29
Is there a reason you were suggesting camping inland at Central Station? If it was that you had heard that this was worth seeing and close to lakes etc, well that is true, but you can do all of these as day trips from your camp site on the east coast of Fraser.

We take our Pathfinder and 4x4 along the beach - directly behind the dunes, anywhere north of Eurong. Our favourite spot is within first 4-8 kms north of Eurong township.

On tap water close, just north of town on beach edge. Town has fuel, ice, and bits and pieces as you may need them.

As said elsewhere on here, common sense with dingoes. Don't feed or encourage them, but they are a major part of the charm of Fraser. Keep ALL food secure and well locked away. We have had dingoes lifting up the cooler fridge lid to try and make off with contents. They are very clever.

Beachside is our favourite, near the beach and its attractions, the main thoroughfare north along the beach. Plus this is Fraser camping at its very very best
FollowupID: 767254

Reply By: Coolman - Thursday, Jul 26, 2012 at 15:44

Thursday, Jul 26, 2012 at 15:44
Beach is fantastic but is more work with toilets, water, wind. We stay @ Dundaburra campground. Toilets, showers, fenced from dingos. Also can have a fire.

AnswerID: 491712

Follow Up By: rumpig - Thursday, Jul 26, 2012 at 17:33

Thursday, Jul 26, 2012 at 17:33
Dundaburra isn't to bad a spot, but you can't beat views like this (with the odd whale jumping out of the water at times) whilst you have breakfast, lunch and dinner ...makes the extra effort well worth it.

FollowupID: 767264

Follow Up By: Coolman - Thursday, Jul 26, 2012 at 18:28

Thursday, Jul 26, 2012 at 18:28
Who could argue with that Rumpig! :-) Anywhere is great with the right place and people
FollowupID: 767268

Reply By: Penchy - Friday, Jul 27, 2012 at 10:20

Friday, Jul 27, 2012 at 10:20
+1 for camping on the beach. Freshwater lakes to wash the sand off, and drive to ammenities. We camped north of Waddy Point and didnt see one dingo! Its very quiet up there, no neighbours, no drunken young blokes, and no whinging Poms. Flies are an issue no matter where you are, and keep an eye on the tides. Other than that its a great place.
AnswerID: 491763

Sponsored Links