Start of Canning stock Route

Gday,
Ive always thought the Canning Stock Route run from Wiluna to Halls Creek until I found something odd the other day which made me wonder?
I was working just off the Ajana/Kalbarri road and using some Shire maps, and noticed that there was a line draw on it marked rabbit proof fence and a track marked Canning Stock Route????
The area was on Eastough Rd which comes off the Ajana/Kalbarri rd. Ive found that it is section 3 of the rabbit proof fence using Google but nothing saying it was a propossed part of the Canning or anything at all.
Any one know anything about it?

Cheers
Hairy
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Rob Mac (QLD) - Sunday, Jul 29, 2012 at 22:09

Sunday, Jul 29, 2012 at 22:09
Gday Hairy, All I have read the CSR stopped at Wiluna as that was the rail head at the time. I have never heard of an extension of CSR, but that dosnt mean it wasnt mooted. When I was prospecting on the Ashburton mid to late 80's i came across an old stock route which through (roughly) Ashburton Downs,north through Beasley River (Woongarra Pool). There were a lot of "stock routes" on old maps.
Cheers
Rob Mac
AnswerID: 491900

Reply By: Life Member - Phil B (WA) - Monday, Jul 30, 2012 at 05:48

Monday, Jul 30, 2012 at 05:48
Hi Hairy

The CSR definitely ended in Wiluna.

Other than say its an error, I cant what found.

cheers

There is a lot of difference between
‘Human Being’ and ‘Being Human’.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 491907

Reply By: Hairy (WA) - Tuesday, Jul 31, 2012 at 19:24

Tuesday, Jul 31, 2012 at 19:24
Ill see if I can get a copy of the map.........Cheers
AnswerID: 491997

Reply By: Member - Boobook - Friday, Aug 03, 2012 at 05:59

Friday, Aug 03, 2012 at 05:59
I am pretty sure the CSR started at Wiluna and was build from there to Billiluna near Halls Creek in about 1908. Well 1 for example is just north of Wiluna.

However the Railway wasn't built to Wiluna until about 1932. So the cattle may have been driven along the line shown as the CSR on your map even though it wasn't the CSR proper up until then.
AnswerID: 492132

Sponsored Links