LPG Filler Location illegal

Submitted: Monday, Jul 30, 2012 at 18:11
ThreadID: 97162 Views:2131 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I have a 80 series with diesel gas which was fitted 6 years ago, and was complianced IAC QLD regulations. I am selling the vehicle in QLD and in the attempt to get a gas certificate have been told that my recessed fill point which is located in the rear LHS is illegal and has to be changed as it is in a "high impact area". I am questioning the logic / retrospective aspect of this and cannot find any reference to this on the web.
Of course the firm that fitted it are no longer in business so going back to them is not a option.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: olcoolone - Monday, Jul 30, 2012 at 20:35

Monday, Jul 30, 2012 at 20:35
Maybe it might be worth talking to the RACQ technical guys.... they may shed some light on it and get someone to look at it.

We are an approved RAA repairer down here and often get asked by the RAA to review someone else's work if the have an enquiry from one of their public members.
AnswerID: 491946

Reply By: Kimba10 - Tuesday, Jul 31, 2012 at 21:54

Tuesday, Jul 31, 2012 at 21:54
Sounds like a load of bleep to me (possibly depending on exact location, high up/low down). Every single 90 series prado that has gas fitted the fill point is right next to the original fuel/petrol inlet which is passengers side rear. What about utes where their fitted at waist height which is dead in line with most bumper bars, or the rear doughnut tanks which are mounted most of the time where the spare wheel goes which is dead in line with a rear end hit. They have shut off valves etc incorporated in the system in the event of an emergency. Not sure of your rules up there but here in NSW its not a legal requirement to sell a vehicle with a road worthy slip/pink slip anyway................................
AnswerID: 492007

Reply By: The Bantam - Tuesday, Jul 31, 2012 at 23:10

Tuesday, Jul 31, 2012 at 23:10
In QLD you most definitely have to have both a safety certificate and a gas certificate to sell a registered vehicle.

Exactly where is this filler?

It is certainly worth checking that it is a requirement to make compliant old installations meet new regulations.

The other question is...was the installation compliant from the beginning.

There are plenty of people that are prepared to try their luck with the regulations.

cheers
AnswerID: 492009

Reply By: Andrew - Thursday, Aug 02, 2012 at 14:44

Thursday, Aug 02, 2012 at 14:44
Hi Clarkey

A high impact position would be one where the gas filler is likely to be the first thing contacted if you where run into or backed into something.

The filler should be further in than the surrounding bodywork or protection system.

So if you backed into a pole and the bumper was hit first and the filler couldn't be contacted by the pole without destroying the body work, then it should be regarded as protected.

The idea should be that you know you have hit something before the filler is contacted.

You can't totally protect the filler (that's why there are one way valves in the system) because if the accident is big enough!!.

We used to use a length of broom handle and lay it across areas to find out where the low spots were that would be protected.

This is why you can't fit filler to bumper bars / covers

The info is in Aust standard 1425 which any gas installer should be able to show you.

If your's has been done incorrectly then you should have a claim through the state licensing authority because they licence the installer

Regards

A
AnswerID: 492074

Sponsored Links