Lost and Found !!

Submitted: Wednesday, Aug 01, 2012 at 01:26
ThreadID: 97187 Views:2900 Replies:4 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
G'day everyone

A search and rescue was carried out in the Karijini National Park today (31-7-12).

Tom Price SES and Police along with DEC staff were mustered for the operation.

Not unusual at this time of the year seeing there are many people wandering around the region and Karijini is no exception, it ended well for the couple that went missing in Dales Gorge, the couple in thier 70's misjudged their abilities and the time needed to accomplish the trek and become seperated during their attempt to walk out.

As it turned out they spent the night deep within the gorge system, cold and very much alone. Night time temperatures are down to single digits in the Pilbara this time of the year.

It all turned out ok ~ this time.

Safe travels :
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Life Member - Phil B (WA) - Wednesday, Aug 01, 2012 at 09:06

Wednesday, Aug 01, 2012 at 09:06
That is good news. At least they didn't try and walk up and out in the dark.

Thankfully all ended well for them.

cheers
There is a lot of difference between
‘Human Being’ and ‘Being Human’.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 492014

Follow Up By: Member - Joe F (WA) - Wednesday, Aug 01, 2012 at 11:24

Wednesday, Aug 01, 2012 at 11:24
G'day Phil B

Although this particular episode was not considered as life threatening and it did end with smiles and not tears, it does highlight the fact that things can go wrong very rapidly.

The man in this case was found, four hours before the lady ~ she was a little worse for wear, dehydrated and hypothermia, but she is expected to make a full recovery.

Safe travels :
FollowupID: 767668

Reply By: davida - Wednesday, Aug 01, 2012 at 17:10

Wednesday, Aug 01, 2012 at 17:10
Just interested in people's opinions on use of a PLB in this situation. Would you activate your PLB (if you had one) under these circumstances? Is this considered a "life threatening" situation?
AnswerID: 492030

Follow Up By: Member - bungarra (WA) - Thursday, Aug 02, 2012 at 09:44

Thursday, Aug 02, 2012 at 09:44
Personally I would not activate mine under the circumstances as read in the original post............the people were found alive and well....albiet a little cold and hungry and wiser............give it another 24 hours and then the circumstances may change

in other words this situation was not life threating within the time frame of lost /found

what might influence me to do so would be if people had medications that had to be taken and would be a health issue / life threatning situation if they were not taken within a certain time frame...

Life is a journey, it is not how we fall down, it is how we get up.
VKS 1341

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 767705

Follow Up By: Member - Joe F (WA) - Friday, Aug 03, 2012 at 09:50

Friday, Aug 03, 2012 at 09:50
G'day Folks

I guess anyone that ventures away from what might be a well trodden path or track and becomes lost and is genuinely in distress, constitues a life threatening situation and should the person be carrying a PLB ~ tigger it by all means.

Just last month a prospector activated his PLB when he sustained a serious injury well away from his vehicle and prospecting companion.

This drama unfolded some where north of Meekatharra WA.

The gentleman stepped the wrong way and his prosthetic hip implant shattered causing severe distress and no doubt immense pain, he stated during his hospital bed interview "I would have died out there" if I didn't have that PLB. A police spokesman said the rescue was made easier as the PLB was registered as per the current 406 MHz distress beacon registration requirements.

Personally I would trigger my PLB in any situation that involves physical incapacity or injury, but it all hinges on the PLB being carried at the time.

Safe travels :
FollowupID: 767792

Reply By: Members Pa & Ma. - Friday, Aug 03, 2012 at 19:24

Friday, Aug 03, 2012 at 19:24
Thanks Joe, .
I've been away for a couple of days & was wondering, so thank you & I'm glad that they're O.K. .
If tour companies are going to take groups into risky places they should have "a tail end Charlie guide".
The standards of track difficulty can be misleading & of course are judged differently.
We always add an hour extra for me.
I went on a tour with a guide, I asked for the easiest way & was told that this route was the best.
I explained my reasons to the guide etc.
I couldn't keep up but I guess the guide thought that I was youngish & would be alright. I wasn't!
They take your money & don't seem to understand, they keep going & people who've paid & can't keep up for what ever reason should have someone to take them back & inform the leader.
This was at a relatively easy place & as loners we booked the tour for my safety & you had too anyway. It was a cave tour.
When we all got back to the gathering spot. I said this to him & he said that he was so sorry because even after I'd told him I had problems, he hadn't realized that I was in trouble.
I was told that I'd be looked after, I paid my money & I wasn't, he hadn't checked on me.

He was a wonderful bloke but time tables have to be met. Maybe " Slow coach, tours for people who have problems.
We suffer enough in life but it doesn't mean we have to opt out of life.
Ma.
AnswerID: 492182

Follow Up By: Member - Joe F (WA) - Sunday, Aug 05, 2012 at 12:05

Sunday, Aug 05, 2012 at 12:05
G'day Ma & Pa

Thank you for the interest in the thread, I hope your taste for adventure is not soured by the reprehensible attitude some tour operators have towards people who may require a hand.

I witnessed this sort of rudeness by a tour guide toward a couple who had difficulty in understanding the guide when he spoke about a particular tree, another person in the tour asked about. I actually felt embarrassed at the time, because the European couple were treated so disrespectfully, after paying for their tour experience.

I am pleased to say that was some time ago and that particular "backpacker" tour operation went out of business.

Sadly I can't say much in regards to tourism and some of the outright pirates that call themselves "tour guides"~ because I'll get moderated again!!!

Safe travels :
FollowupID: 767944

Reply By: Members Pa & Ma. - Sunday, Aug 05, 2012 at 13:42

Sunday, Aug 05, 2012 at 13:42
Hi Joe,
Thanks for your reply,
I was under the Impression that they got separated from a tour group. Sorry, I didn't realize they were just going on their own, as we usually do.
We had to book the cave tour,& I explained everything & was told there would be someone at the back of the line to help me, there wasn't.
I just need to take rest breaks often.
I was going to say OOps but then I thought that it was worth leaving it on the Forum for tour guides to take on board.
You're very good to keep us informed.
Take care, safe travels.
Bye for now Ma.
AnswerID: 492286

Sponsored Links