dakar

Submitted: Tuesday, Jan 13, 2004 at 18:06
ThreadID: 9720 Views:1505 Replies:6 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Have found the SBS cover of the rally very interesting ,both from a vehicle side and as a vast view of Africa.SBS 7 pm EDST .Recommend viewing
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Will - Tuesday, Jan 13, 2004 at 19:16

Tuesday, Jan 13, 2004 at 19:16
we just moved into a new place and i cant pick up sbs damn it! new to fit a new aerial on the roof, i think the one there at the moment is from the 1930's!
AnswerID: 42846

Reply By: navaraman - Tuesday, Jan 13, 2004 at 20:30

Tuesday, Jan 13, 2004 at 20:30
I've been watching it on Fox Sports and the coverage is great. Would like to see some "normal" 4 x4s tackling the course rather than the race machines. The scenery is spectacular, well worth watching.
AnswerID: 42854

Follow Up By: Moose - Wednesday, Jan 14, 2004 at 14:33

Wednesday, Jan 14, 2004 at 14:33
From my understanding there's what I think they call the Marathon Class which is supposed to be standard vehicles but I wonder how standard thet really are.
FollowupID: 305237

Reply By: Member - Bob - Tuesday, Jan 13, 2004 at 20:56

Tuesday, Jan 13, 2004 at 20:56
Thanks Murranji,
I watched it tonight. Interesting to see where and how some 4WD manufacturers develop their products. Bob
AnswerID: 42857

Follow Up By: Steve - Tuesday, Jan 13, 2004 at 21:18

Tuesday, Jan 13, 2004 at 21:18
Those machines !! $500.000 each as a starter ( half a million aussie bucks ) and then some !! all paid (professional) drivers and crew / choppers,, doctors ,,mechanics,, and fully kitted out service units ..full sized containers fitted out with everything including the kitchen sink....dropped where required ...... and u think that the machines have anything got to do with those out of the showroom ??? GET REAL...you are watching an advertisement that cost the companies so much dough.. they wouldn't even like u to think it real !! ( not all companies can afford this event !!)... and then its stuffed by a few wayward vagabonds !!! I say..have fun in Dakar...
FollowupID: 305172

Follow Up By: Member - Bob - Wednesday, Jan 14, 2004 at 08:07

Wednesday, Jan 14, 2004 at 08:07
Steve,
you're sounding like someone who didn't spot their particular make of car in the Ralley. Lets hope your manufacturer picks up on some of the developments some time in the future.Bob
FollowupID: 305201

Follow Up By: Jon - '88 TD42 GQ - Wednesday, Jan 14, 2004 at 11:03

Wednesday, Jan 14, 2004 at 11:03
Steve, I think you'd be surprised aty how much technology filter's down from the peak race classes. The most recent example that springs to mind is the GP Bikes. When they changed to 4 stroke engines recently the massive engine braking compared to the 2 strokes was a problem. Solution developed was a slipper clutch that automatically slips when the wheel is driving the engine to make a smoother downshift. From the time they first appeared in the multi million dollar prototype bikes to the time they landed in $15 K street bikes was about 12 months I belive. Now standard issue on 600cc sports bikes.

Same thing with Turbo's and F1. Back when F1's were turbo's a lot of car manufacturer's were using them. Once they went of of racing they got rarer in production and are considered a high performance item. They are coming back now but likely if F1 had remained turbo'd we'd be seeing a lot of passenger vehicles running very small turbo'd engines rather than the standard 4 cylinder's we see now.

Cheers.
FollowupID: 305219

Reply By: Member - Alex B - Tuesday, Jan 13, 2004 at 21:52

Tuesday, Jan 13, 2004 at 21:52
the coverage has been great it's on twice a day - 4pm & 7pm - the 4pm one is a rerun of the previous night.
And for what it worth.....(Steve)...
Its from these types of events that bring us tomorrows technologies & improvements. Bet you London to a brick we'll see Mitsubishi’s 'kinetic suspension" that they are trailing in Dakar on road vehicles in the next 3-5 years!
People canned the Space program (and some still do) but have no idea of how many day-to-day items we now use that were invented & developed in such programs, eg Velcro to name one.
The same goes with ALL car manufacturers $500, 000 for a prototype in the Dakar a race - chicken feed! It’s all part of R&D and it’s us that benefit in the long run.

Cheers
Alex B
AnswerID: 42867

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, Jan 13, 2004 at 22:27

Tuesday, Jan 13, 2004 at 22:27
Been watching it on Optus, got a mate in the bike class, Simon Pavey. He was in our club when livign in aussie, but now based in England.

I think its funny when you see ads saying Paj/yota/nissan/VW WINNER OF PARIS DAKAR.. There is nothing street production Paj/yota/nissan/VW in the cars that win!
AnswerID: 42871

Reply By: Member - JohnR - Wednesday, Jan 14, 2004 at 07:51

Wednesday, Jan 14, 2004 at 07:51
Murranji, like navaraman I heve been seeing it on Fox sports. The wow factor it defintely there for the scenery and the machine development angle.

I saw that particularly because of the reference to the Citroen rally suspension modifications by Kinetic Pty Ltd in Dunsborough in Western Australia that have reduced the bounce rebound in their rally cars. Apparently now in the current 470 Lexus. Pretty exciting part for the future and whay it may do in suspension development. Rally News WRC artilce on Citroen Kinetic development interesting article that one.Regards

JohnR - Not enough of the right travelling, some here..... some over there.......
AnswerID: 42887

Follow Up By: Member - Bradley- Wednesday, Jan 14, 2004 at 09:22

Wednesday, Jan 14, 2004 at 09:22
Good article that, it's great to see another fantastic straight forward thinking effort from the aussies !! Pity it probably won't get any support from aussie manufacturers, Ford could use it as they ride like boats instead of 'hovercraft' LOL Hmm must be something in the water in WA, Sarich orbital engine , kinetic suspension etc......Go aussie GoMoo... everyone knows what a Jackaroo looks like :-)
FollowupID: 305208

Sponsored Links