Quality where for art thou ?

Submitted: Sunday, Aug 05, 2012 at 19:53
ThreadID: 97278 Views:3367 Replies:6 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
I've been knocking around the bush for almost 40yrs and always bought the best i could afford. In 1991 I bought a series 80 fitted aux battery, B Bar, Winch, suspension kit and lot of other stuff, I sold the 80 in March 2011, with everything still working as it should ie very well. In FEB 2011 bought new 4x4 fitted Aux battery system (since failed ) fitted suspension kit( since failed ) Canopy rubber worn out and lifting off, need 2nd wheel alignment ( NEVER did one on the 80 ). our new dirt road caravan MAY 2011 has been back twice to fix water leaks, Batt chargeing system, and most cupboard latches replaced, Whilst our off road camper bought in 1995 hasn't been repaired, replaced or fixed at all.
Whats happening? my engel I bought in 1990 still going whilst mates 2yr old fridge R/S, my $ 20.00 air compressor bought as a backup 22yrs ago still works and 2 weeks ago my $150.00 one failed.
Perhaps I'm just a grumpy old man, anyway I,ve had my grumble and will crawl back into my hole.
Cheers Warren
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: pop2jocem - Sunday, Aug 05, 2012 at 20:09

Sunday, Aug 05, 2012 at 20:09
Hi Warren,

Welcome to the GOMC (Grumpy Old Men Club).

This is why I kept my 1991 HZJ75 and re-powered with a 1HD-FT engine, kept my 1985 2nd generation hand-down Engel and a whole bunch of non electronic, non all singing and dancing, non overcomplicated made-in-PRC JUNK. Half of my collection may be museum ready (if you listen to my kids) but much to their dismay just keeps on going and if it stops I don't need a degree in quantum physics to repair it.
Now, any spare room in your fox hole.....lol.
AnswerID: 492321

Reply By: Mudguard - Sunday, Aug 05, 2012 at 22:43

Sunday, Aug 05, 2012 at 22:43
I think I qualify for that club as well (re: name) and every thing is getting thinner, it soon rusts, not deburred, not finished properly, the last one in the pack is broken etc etc. and thats why we go camping lots!
AnswerID: 492339

Reply By: Ross M - Sunday, Aug 05, 2012 at 23:08

Sunday, Aug 05, 2012 at 23:08
In those days things didn't break or fail and people could repair them if it happened.
Now to make matters worse, all the younger ones are busy being a twit on faceache and despite their ability on a Iphone touch screen they can't repair any Bl--dly thing, so it is just throw away.
If they attemp or claim to be able to repair it, because you owe them, you won't be able to afford the repair.
AnswerID: 492341

Follow Up By: racinrob - Monday, Aug 06, 2012 at 08:05

Monday, Aug 06, 2012 at 08:05
How I agree with the previous comments, I was brought up with the, "Waste not want not", mentality much to my kids disgust. A lot of older goods were well made and only need a bit of adjustment to get years more out of them unlike a lot of things now with a built in life span made to supply the "Disposable Society".
I am sick and tired of taking new things back because they don't work.

rr
FollowupID: 768009

Reply By: olcoolone - Monday, Aug 06, 2012 at 08:51

Monday, Aug 06, 2012 at 08:51
This will be an interesting post...

Things that break stay longer in one's mind than thing's that dont break!

There are still many reliable good brands out there but this funny thing called human nature seem's to step in and dictate things have to be cheaper to sell and why should I spend twice the money on something I can get cheaper.

Every thing fails at some point.....

For most manufactures who have to stay competitive in an over flowing market and still stay in business it means producing a product cheaper using lower quality manufactures and materials.

There is only one person to blame for this...... the end user who elects to buy on price over quality.

The quality of a product is dictated by price, the price is dictated by the end consumer who with little qualifications or knowledge seems to be an expert when it comes to how much something should cost.

And for those who shop eBay out of China or buy cheap low quality products...... thanks for wrecking it for the rest!

And to say this has failed and that has failed; and I never had a problem for X amount of years with the old stuff is a bit unfair, there are so many variables that need to be addressed before comparing....

You say you never had a wheel alignment in over 20 years and since the 80 series was new.... did you drive it?
AnswerID: 492354

Follow Up By: Ross M - Monday, Aug 06, 2012 at 15:08

Monday, Aug 06, 2012 at 15:08
olcoolone
I had a 1986 HJ61 and about 25 years ago I slightly adjusted the toe in, made it less than stock. Never touched it after that, never needed to, and I am very particular about tyre wear. Did many km too. So why would an 80 series have to be adjusted in 20 years. If it is ok it is ok.
FollowupID: 768042

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Monday, Aug 06, 2012 at 16:21

Monday, Aug 06, 2012 at 16:21
It's not a matter of needing to.... it is just good practice to do it every 12 months as part of the general maintenance.

Most times the only time you know it may need a wheel alignment is when it starts scrubbing tyres.... then it's to late.

It's a funny world, some late model diesel owners insist on changing there fuel and oil filters every 5000K when 10000k is the recommended intervals..... when it comes to wheel alignments they don't worry about it, $70 per 12 months is cheap insurance.

Maybe it's a manly thing to see how long you can get between wheel alignments ....LOL

Maybe some are trying to prove there current ride is better then the newer ones!
FollowupID: 768052

Follow Up By: SDG - Monday, Aug 06, 2012 at 18:49

Monday, Aug 06, 2012 at 18:49
I went to get my GQ done last year. Can't be done apparently. Something to do with no adjustments on these vehicles. Got a second opinion on this with the same answer.
FollowupID: 768068

Follow Up By: Member - Keith P (NSW) - Monday, Aug 06, 2012 at 22:46

Monday, Aug 06, 2012 at 22:46
Not entirely true about GQs.
There is some slight adjustment...toe in / toe out. Have had mine done twice in 5 years...and no alteration needed. Try n do that with the newfangled made-outa-coke-can supensions on the new tinfoil offerings of today. And to the wisecracks on here....YES...it does get used...all round OZ towing our Goldsream camper...on all sorts of roads. 80000 k in the last 3 years in fact.

Cheers Keith
Nothin is ever the same once I own it ...........

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 768099

Reply By: Cravenhaven - Monday, Aug 06, 2012 at 08:53

Monday, Aug 06, 2012 at 08:53
Well just to throw a a bit of a wet blanket on your grumble, the quality of some of the old products has been replaced with the efficiency of the new.
I too have one of the old green Engel fridges that still works, however it draws twice the current of the new fridges and runs longer to keep things cold.
I remember my father bought a new 6 cylinder car in the 60's that did about 20mpg, that equates to 7.1 km/L or 14L/100km. These days most 6 cylinder cars use less than 10L/100km AND you never have to adjust/clean the points, set the float level, or even clean the spark plugs.
cravenhaven

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 492356

Follow Up By: AlbyNSW - Monday, Aug 06, 2012 at 19:26

Monday, Aug 06, 2012 at 19:26
Good points that you have made. I often say the same about people talking about their 20yo Engel, they may still be working but I don't think they run as efficiently as the newer models.

In general goods are not made to last forever, manufacturers want to sell the same product to you again in 5 years time.
FollowupID: 768073

Reply By: Warren B - Monday, Aug 06, 2012 at 19:36

Monday, Aug 06, 2012 at 19:36
WOW sorry guys I were just having a winge. I were reading this fourm when something totally unrelated to anything said, broke and seeing as I were on this fourm well...
My engel is going fine but as had been mentioned uses heaps more power, my old crapy compressor is just that and it is a backup, I'll buy a new one soon. the 80 series was sold because new partner kept getting car sick in it, it was fitted with front and rear diff locks ex factory and had a host of other gear fitted by myself IT NEVER had a wheel alignment, Maybe the Meninee loop road, 2 of the 3 tracks, nearly every high country road / track at least twice were all done dreaming in the garage (for the record it was sold to a mate and no he wont sell it back ) My new 4x4 is far more economical and if the truth be known more powerful but it is not as easy to service and has no " little gear stick" that goes clunk when low range selected.
Maybe i'm yearning for 20yrs ago when things were simpler, easier etc. our $68000.00 caravan is however a bit of a disapointment. there is a place left in my hole lol.
Cheers Warren
AnswerID: 492411

Follow Up By: pop2jocem - Monday, Aug 06, 2012 at 21:49

Monday, Aug 06, 2012 at 21:49
Yeah Warren,

Thanks for taking the lid of this can of worms...lol. I am sure you are right as my 30 year old Engel does need more of them ampy things than the new ones and yes my sons 2012 model Prado will run rings around my old 1991 Landcruiser ute for economy. His much newer Wacoe fridge needed a new PC board while my old energy hungry clunker kept my and his beer cold. If my old ute suffered a mechanical setback out back o" Bourke I just might have some silly chance of cobbling something together to get us back to civilisation. I guess he could get his mobile blackberry, strawberry or whatever out and call for road side assistance.....oh wait....no service....never mind son just get out the low tech tow strap and help yourself to a beer out of my old Engel while you hook it up to the back of my old low tech ute.
Now about that spare spot in your fox hole.....

Cheers
Pop
FollowupID: 768089

Sponsored Links