The Last Frontier (update)

Submitted: Monday, Aug 06, 2012 at 12:19
ThreadID: 97288 Views:2235 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
The original question was: Is the Carson River Track the "Last Frontier" of remote area 4w driving. The answer in my opinion is "yes". Although we were unable to complete the full length of the track, we did encounter some extreme conditions including deep water xings,steep rocky jump ups, large sharp rocks that are hard on tyres and very large round rocks in some river xings eg; the size of 20 litre drums or a 16 inch 4wd tyre. When encountered in water these rocks are very slippery and the vehicle will usually slip off them and bottom out, hanging up on diffs and spring hangers. There is a high probability of damage to tail shafts, diffs,sump and other under gear.
So, if you are looking for a fair dinkum challenge, this could be for you, but this is not for the faint hearted. Your vehicle will need high claerance, probably rock tyres (at least 33in) be in top notch condition and you or someone in your group should have the ability to do most repairs and welding ability with 24volt would be an advantage. You should also be prepared to do many hours of road building,something some in our party were not prepared to do.
We are currently between Derby and Broome, and our hopes of travelling the Wappet track were dashed when a group who came along it from the east told us that access from Sandfire Roadhouse end is denied due to mining or oil activities in the area.Apparently there are large signs at the entrance warning people to stay out of the area.
Anyway, we are all still having a great time travelling and fishing around this great land.
Cheers, Trev K.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Motherhen - Monday, Aug 06, 2012 at 16:00

Monday, Aug 06, 2012 at 16:00
Thanks for the update Trev. It certainly sounds like hard work.

Have you checked the situation as to whether mining companies can exclude you from the Wapet track or if they offer an alternative around their activities?

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 492386

Reply By: Member Andys Adventures - Tuesday, Aug 07, 2012 at 19:20

Tuesday, Aug 07, 2012 at 19:20
I drove the first 30klm from west to east 2 week ago and saw no signs other than the warning sign about fuel and rough road. I am going to do the whole track in about a weeks time.
Andy

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 492488

Sponsored Links