twine shower mounting

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 14, 2004 at 10:59
ThreadID: 9730 Views:2331 Replies:5 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
yep hi all tks to 4 post 9070 have a twine showernow has ???? any one fitted one to a td5 defender have photos any tips apprieciated. jtb p.s roughin it
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: jtb - Wednesday, Jan 14, 2004 at 11:11

Wednesday, Jan 14, 2004 at 11:11
planing on having inlet & outlet hoses as push in fittings on bullbar or near , and switch inside cabin any ideas sweet ;;; ::travel aus this year jtb
AnswerID: 42909

Follow Up By: Wazza (Vic) - Wednesday, Jan 14, 2004 at 11:37

Wednesday, Jan 14, 2004 at 11:37
Picture of my water inlet and outlet behind the bullbar here. No problems so far. Been there about a year or so.

http://geocities.com/cruiserpics/pics/shower/~
FollowupID: 305222

Follow Up By: Brian - Wednesday, Jan 14, 2004 at 16:38

Wednesday, Jan 14, 2004 at 16:38
Wazza do you have any problems with dirt/mud on you water inlet/outlet? do you cover them up ???
Brian
FollowupID: 305254

Follow Up By: Wazza (Vic) - Wednesday, Jan 14, 2004 at 16:44

Wednesday, Jan 14, 2004 at 16:44
Brian,

No problems yet, and they have seen plenty of mud like that. Seeing as it is all post-pump, there is not much to get damaged by it filling up with mud, maybe the shower rose might get a bit in it, but that is easy fixed.~
FollowupID: 305257

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - David - Wednesday, Jan 14, 2004 at 11:48

Wednesday, Jan 14, 2004 at 11:48
Have you seen the info on our installation. Shower Details.Regards
ExplorOz Team - David
--------------------------
Always working, not enough travelling ;-)
AnswerID: 42914

Reply By: cokeaddict - Wednesday, Jan 14, 2004 at 12:10

Wednesday, Jan 14, 2004 at 12:10
Hi jtd,
I dont have a defender, but i thought you might apreciate some ideas from someone who uses one.

1: I have mine bolted down to the inlet manifold on my GQ...connected directly to my thermostat hoses.....length of hoses is 3 inches.....might not seem like a big deal, but the closer you are to the hottest point , the hotter the water comes out...( less travelling for hot water)

2: I run a "on / off" switch just above the grill on metal frame. The advantage of this is that water is precious, the less we use the more we have later. I mention this because you said you wanted to mount the switch inside the cab .... work out the time it takes you to walk back every time you need to switch it on / off and you will find that water usage is much more. Plus when you are showering, the switch is right there at arms reach.

3: Im not sure if your shower kit comes with a pole to hold the shower head, mine didnt. So I decided the best way to hold the shower head up when being used was by using my microphone stand, It folds away very well. If you decide to buy one, I'd suggest you get the Drummers Mike Stand as it has an extension (boom mike)which comes in very handy some times.

The head of the mike stand where the microphone usually clips on is perfect for holding the shower head.

Hope i have given you some food for though, just some ideas i have found to help the system work more eficiently for me.

Regards AngeloI love it when you talk DIRTY !
AnswerID: 42920

Follow Up By: jtb - Thursday, Jan 15, 2004 at 09:10

Thursday, Jan 15, 2004 at 09:10
tks 4 feedback much appreciated was going to mount switch in dash pod ,because shower rose has a flow controler to off & pump will time out when loaded so just turn rose off & later when turning car off ,turn off switch as well i am thiking cheers jtb
FollowupID: 305360

Reply By: Roachie - Wednesday, Jan 14, 2004 at 16:58

Wednesday, Jan 14, 2004 at 16:58
G'day,
I've got a Twine unit on my 4.2t/d Patrol (2000 GU). It's mounted off the fire wall. I used to have it mounted like one of the other blokes said; along the top of the inlet manifold, but it vibrated too much and both the brackets broke out near Birdsville a few years ago. I've mounted the inlet and outlet on the bullbar using standard half inch male hose fittings mounted on a right angle bracket. You can buy a couple of red covers for these at most plant nurseries where they sell those irrigation systems. The red covers have an "ant" on them and work real good at keep bugs and mud out of the system. The only thing I've noticed is that sometimes the pump won't prime itself. To overcome this problem I bought a rubber priming bulb like they use on an outboard boat motor. These have a 5/16" outlet, so I used a short piece of 5/16" fuel hose onto the bulb and jammed the other end of the fuel hose into the end of the 1/2" intake hose which has a standard female click fitting on the other end.
For the pole, I simply use a tent pole, probably a bit cheaper than a microphone stand or drum stand. Stick it into the ground an inch or so and use an occy strap to secure it to the bullbar. I too have mounted a switch near the radiator to control the pump, although if you use the water shut-off button on the shower rose, the motor cuts off automatically anyway.
Happy showering!!
AnswerID: 42977

Reply By: John from Getabout 4WD Adventures - Wednesday, Jan 14, 2004 at 17:42

Wednesday, Jan 14, 2004 at 17:42
Hi JTB,

John from Getabout 4WD Adventures and Twine showers, I recently fitted a shower system to a TD5 Defender, and must say that the job took me about 4 hours.The first hour is just standing there with the Heat exchange unit in my hand going, ... will it fit here, nup, maybe here, nup. But I eventually fitted the unit in. If you would like to email me direct at john@getabout.com.au, I will send you some PDF photos of the installation. These will give you a good head start.

If you have any difficulty with the installation, just either give me a call or drop an email, we are only too pleased to help.

Happy showering.Getabout 4WD Adventures
AnswerID: 42983

Follow Up By: jtb - Thursday, Jan 15, 2004 at 10:21

Thursday, Jan 15, 2004 at 10:21
tks john any info would be of great assistance i emailed u cheers jtb
FollowupID: 305375

Sponsored Links