Anyone traveling Adelaide to Melbourne with space for our 2 bicycles and rack-

Submitted: Monday, Aug 06, 2012 at 21:49
ThreadID: 97304 Views:1858 Replies:5 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,
long story short-anyone able to return our 2 pushbikes and carrier form Adelaide to Melbourne or nearby for petrol money?
(Read on if you want the goss on the background to this request....
some months ago I posted about-well it was a last ditch plea really-the plight of our 2 push bikes which survived a fall off the back of our caravan last year and had been resting patiently in the police lock up in Port Augusta. We were contacted by police when tracked down weeks later through number plate but we were long gone up the centre by then.

Since our return 9 months later in March this year we tried several carrier firms with no success-exorbitant cost, more than these sturdy bikes were worth and were ready to give up. Thought at last-maybe someone on Explore Oz might have some ideas or better still respond to our plea for a good Samaritan to help return them home to us in Melbourne.
We offered to pay-and still are most happy to do so-for their return as we won't be making a return trip to Adelaide for quite some time.

Happily accepted an offer from an Explore Oz good guy (thanks Richard) to arrange pick up and store at his Adelaide business, until we found someone for the rest of the trip. Argument was, more people travel Adelaide to Melbourne than Port A to Melbourne. getting the bikes to Adelaide was a major first step. Now back home again after a trip up north, flying this time, alas and ready for the next stage..

So here we are again hoping there may be someone out there who is traveling Adelaide to Melbourne and would like petrol money to return the bikes to within coee of home, Northcote, inner northern suburb. We would be happy to collect from surrounding areas if anyone is making the trip and can let me know where to collect.

So, here's hoping..
nicki
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Rob K (VIC) - Tuesday, Aug 07, 2012 at 17:09

Tuesday, Aug 07, 2012 at 17:09
Hi Nicki,

I'm not going there myself but you might have more luck getting a response around the September school holidays. There might be a few EO members heading there around that time?

Cheers

Rob K
AnswerID: 492475

Reply By: Member - Old Girl - Tuesday, Aug 07, 2012 at 21:39

Tuesday, Aug 07, 2012 at 21:39
Wow Nicki you havnt got them back yet. I think of your request everytime i see bikes on the back of vans. Hope you can sort this out quickly.
AnswerID: 492498

Reply By: olcoolone - Wednesday, Aug 08, 2012 at 09:17

Wednesday, Aug 08, 2012 at 09:17
Nicki, they are still sitting in one of our workshops for you.... give me a yell when you have found someone to get them for you.

No Rush.
AnswerID: 492521

Follow Up By: nicki- Wednesday, Aug 08, 2012 at 13:35

Wednesday, Aug 08, 2012 at 13:35
Thanks heaps. I've had surgery since the return home in March mand then been up north to recuperate-hence the long delay in follow up action. Will keep in touch.
Nicki
FollowupID: 768215

Reply By: Member - Royce- Wednesday, Aug 08, 2012 at 13:29

Wednesday, Aug 08, 2012 at 13:29
I've just posted a copy of this on my Facebook page. I've got a few cousins who make this trip... if I get a response, I'll get back to you.

Cheers Royce
AnswerID: 492539

Follow Up By: nicki- Wednesday, Aug 08, 2012 at 13:32

Wednesday, Aug 08, 2012 at 13:32
Thanks Royce-much appreciated.
nicki
FollowupID: 768214

Follow Up By: Member - Royce- Wednesday, Aug 08, 2012 at 23:28

Wednesday, Aug 08, 2012 at 23:28
So Nicki... my cousin's wife's brother Doug is travelling from Adelaide this Sunday arriving back in Melbourne on Tuesday. He has indicated that he would be willing to bring them over.

I'm only loosely in contact via Facebook and have suggested that he give me his email address to pass on to you... you might like to do the same. I'll pass it on to him. Email me on royce@funshow.com.au if you like to do so off forum.

It's a possible solution.
FollowupID: 768263

Follow Up By: Member - Royce- Wednesday, Aug 08, 2012 at 23:31

Wednesday, Aug 08, 2012 at 23:31
PS... he only has a towbar on his vehicle so would need a bike carrier.
FollowupID: 768264

Follow Up By: nicki- Friday, Aug 10, 2012 at 13:14

Friday, Aug 10, 2012 at 13:14
Thanks SO MUCH to all who have followed up with helpful responses to our long journey to get our bikes back from Port Augusta and now Adelaide to Melbourne.
Found a freght company that will do the job for only $260. Other quotes had been ion the $500 ball park. Hey, the bikes aren't worth that much!!
So a happy conclusion and we'll be on those bikes again after next week we expect.
We decided we to not use the bike carrier until a thorough inspection, granted the history of having fallen of our van towbar in the first place!. Hence unable to take up offers to return the bikes on someones tow bar-thanks for the offers tho.
much relieved,
Nicki
FollowupID: 768318

Reply By: Member - Royce- Thursday, Aug 09, 2012 at 16:59

Thursday, Aug 09, 2012 at 16:59
I have my cousin's brother in law's email address if you want to get onto me.... I don't want to post it here without his permission... so email me at royce@funshow.com.au

Cheers Royce
AnswerID: 492596

Sponsored Links