Hayman Reese Standard Weight Distribution Kit

Hi All, does anyone know whether the HR standard weight distribution kit is going to work when the caravan hitch is mounted on top of a 150mm A frame? We will have a Retreat Caravan with a 6" chassis and Control Rider Suspension, towing with a new Mazda BT50. Also is Hayman Reese the best option, was told that Eaz Lift does not wear out in the head like the HR? Any comments much appreciated.
Harry B2
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Toyocrusa (NSW) - Wednesday, Aug 08, 2012 at 06:56

Wednesday, Aug 08, 2012 at 06:56
Hi Harry. Going on this post and photos it seems like it could be a bit of a problem. Mine is on the bottom of the A frame and fits well. Bob.
WDH fitting
AnswerID: 492507

Reply By: Caravan & RV World - Wednesday, Aug 08, 2012 at 08:10

Wednesday, Aug 08, 2012 at 08:10
Harry,

You're welcome to email pics to info@caravanandrvworld.com.au and we can help you with finding the ideal hitch for your rig.

C&RVW
AnswerID: 492512

Reply By: Member - Arsenal Phill - Wednesday, Aug 08, 2012 at 08:25

Wednesday, Aug 08, 2012 at 08:25
Hi Harry
We have a Retreat Fraser and towed by 200 Series. Part of our package included the Hayman Reese Hitch. We got the 8000 kit. We ordered our van with the 4in lift, the 6" chasis as yours, and it has fully independant suspension.
It is our first van so can't exactly give you a comparison. All I would say is that I felt it swayed a little more than I was expecting. I then had the anti-sway device fitted (dual cam system) just to see if it improved things. I can't say as I noticed any difference.
Suffice to say it must be adequate as this was the kit supplied by Retreat.
AnswerID: 492515

Follow Up By: Member - Old Girl - Wednesday, Aug 08, 2012 at 19:42

Wednesday, Aug 08, 2012 at 19:42
Hi Phil,
We had the same thing go on. I wasn't happy with the Hayman hitch at first. Sure they made the van and car sit level. Not being able to go over 80km without it starting, we played with tyre pressures. Sure enough the sway stopped. Now we can hoot along with the flow of the traffic. Why im telling you this is because it was the same no matter what we had in it. Being a basestation we do carry motorbikes so that's a good weight difference to play with.
Harry,
Our hitch isn't on top of the A frame, its made the bottom of the adjustable tow hitch very low to the ground wouldn't want to drive with out the WDH.suspension
The car has 2'lift with upgradedsuspension.
FollowupID: 768242

Follow Up By: Dennis Ellery - Wednesday, Aug 08, 2012 at 22:09

Wednesday, Aug 08, 2012 at 22:09
2 foot lift! – you must need a need a milk crate to get into it?
FollowupID: 768258

Follow Up By: Member - Old Girl - Wednesday, Aug 08, 2012 at 23:02

Wednesday, Aug 08, 2012 at 23:02
yeh inches, but i still do need a milk crate.
FollowupID: 768262

Reply By: Member - Jack & Lorraine B (QL - Thursday, Aug 09, 2012 at 18:53

Thursday, Aug 09, 2012 at 18:53
The main thing is tha load capacity of the hitch, check that and the towing capacity of the tug (both the ball weight and pulling capacity). If either one of those are outside the limit then you have no insurance.
I don't know your caravan or tug so I can only comment in general terms that may help others as well.

The HR connection is adjustable and has about 6 to 8 positions to mount the towball at the correct height, if your tug is lower then the hitch may be turned upside down to get more adjustment .

If your tug is very heigh due to lifted suspension there is a longer drop HR bar available and you should have no problems to get it level.
Once you have the correct height you need to adjust for the correct leveling force.
The HR hitch has about 12 adjustment in the hexagonal plates.

HR does not wear much if you lubricate it!!!!!! use silicon spray or something similar.
If it squeks, lubricate it.

All you have to worry if the caravan is high , that you may not get the boot open.

Have fun and take your time to get it just right!
It makes for a much smoother and safer ride!
AnswerID: 492600

Follow Up By: Member - Jack & Lorraine B (QL - Thursday, Aug 09, 2012 at 19:00

Thursday, Aug 09, 2012 at 19:00
PS there is no swaying with my setup and I have been dragging the caravan at 110km/h where it was allowed without any problems.
The loading of the bars makes the difference !

you need to have a good tension on the bars, that helps to remove the swaying.
FollowupID: 768285

Sponsored Links