Anne Beadell Highway?

Due to illness, we had to postpone our Anne Beadell trip that was planned for June.
Has anybody done it recently, if so, what are the track conditions like & is it OK to do it in mid to late September?
Also, I have read mention of wood stakes damaging tyres, is this an issue & how to avoid it happening?

We will be towing a Vista RV Crossover & have been advised that it may be better to leave it when we visit the plane wreck, although we have towed a camper trailer along the CSR, but it was a lighter camper (Pioneer Argyle).

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Friday, Aug 10, 2012 at 10:14

Friday, Aug 10, 2012 at 10:14
Hi Shaker

Keep an eye out for my reply in a few weeks time.

We will be out there again next week for a very interesting and different trip.

As for the plane crash site, you should have no problems, as we have seen a full size caravan out there.

I will keep you posted when we return.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 492647

Follow Up By: Shaker - Friday, Aug 10, 2012 at 10:32

Friday, Aug 10, 2012 at 10:32
That will be greatly appreciated.
FollowupID: 768311

Reply By: Member - Michael P (QLD) - Friday, Aug 10, 2012 at 10:31

Friday, Aug 10, 2012 at 10:31
Shaker Hi,
That is one trip that you do not want to miss IMHO. I had to delay my trip in 2010 untill October.
Weather wise! was ideal (to me). though there was a pretty severe storm one night.
It was late on the third day of travel before I met any other travellers, then I met two other groups for the entire trip. I travel solo & was okay with that but others may feel a bit unsure without other travellers around.
Tyres I always carry two spares, And reduce the pressures, ran 22PSI on that trip. The dunes are fairly easy as they mainly cross the track ,the corrugations are pretty severe. As opposed to CSR there is not much let up.
Would be better to leave the CT at turnoff to the plane wreck, You have to come back that way anyhow.

Hope this helps.
Mike.
AnswerID: 492651

Follow Up By: Alan S (WA) - Friday, Aug 10, 2012 at 21:14

Friday, Aug 10, 2012 at 21:14
Hi Mike,

I am planning one next year, how many days did it take?

Alan
FollowupID: 768329

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Friday, Aug 10, 2012 at 23:05

Friday, Aug 10, 2012 at 23:05
Hi Alan

I know that you have directed this reply to Mike, so sorry I will jump in.

As an absolute minimum, I would recommend 7 days, longer is better.

From past visits out there, your speeds will vary between 20 to 40 kph, so you can see it is not a rush trip.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 768335

Follow Up By: Member - Michael P (QLD) - Saturday, Aug 11, 2012 at 06:45

Saturday, Aug 11, 2012 at 06:45
Alan Hi,
It took me a bit over eight days and felt that I could of easily spent more time. l

At the end of the "tourist" season the Guys at Ilkurlka are a bit lax . I arrived mid afternoon, the guy on duty had gone walkabout so I had an early finish for the day. (My vehicle is ULP & I had phoned to confirm availability so was expected.)

Mike.
FollowupID: 768339

Reply By: muffin man - Friday, Aug 10, 2012 at 13:28

Friday, Aug 10, 2012 at 13:28
Can't help with your particular question but to wet the appetite jump on to youtube and have a look at the videos by michaelsmart61.
This is better than any blog you'll find around the place and excellent humour to boot.
Not towing with a Terracan by any chance ?
MM
AnswerID: 492662

Follow Up By: Shaker - Friday, Aug 10, 2012 at 16:03

Friday, Aug 10, 2012 at 16:03
NoTerracan, towing with Prado 3.0l diesel, chipped & 3" exhaust etc.
FollowupID: 768320

Reply By: Member - Bruce and Di T (SA) - Friday, Aug 10, 2012 at 13:59

Friday, Aug 10, 2012 at 13:59
We did this last year with friends. One had a Vista RV and it went where ever they went. It was a bit affected by the bushes that had grown over the track but that was because we went from Cooke to Vokes Hill and it was more overgrown. Scratches came out with polish once home. None of us had the slightest problem with tyres. Just make sure you lower your tyre pressure.

It's a great trip.

Di and Bruce
AnswerID: 492663

Follow Up By: Alan S (WA) - Friday, Aug 10, 2012 at 21:15

Friday, Aug 10, 2012 at 21:15
Hi Bruce

as per my reply above, how many days did it take? I am planning a trip next year and interested in travel time.

Alan
FollowupID: 768330

Follow Up By: Member - Bruce and Di T (SA) - Saturday, Aug 11, 2012 at 21:38

Saturday, Aug 11, 2012 at 21:38
Hi Alan,

Sorry we haven't replied sooner but have been rather busy.

We have discussed how long we took and have decided it was about 9-10 days. We just loved it and would like to do it again soon.

Believe it or not once you get home you forget the corrugations as all you remember are the good time with friends, the wonderful scenery, the magnificent nights and the lack of crowds.

Just wonderful.

Di and Bruce
FollowupID: 768375

Reply By: Member -Pinko (NSW) - Friday, Aug 10, 2012 at 20:22

Friday, Aug 10, 2012 at 20:22
Hello Shaker
We are in Geraldton tonight an came of the AB 14 days ago. A caravan will not reach the Goldfields crash at the time we were there so disconnect just after the turn off. The corros are seriously fierce for nearly the whole length and I would say worse than the Canning SR.
Having said that we frequently came across a couple in an 'A' van which kept on going even that there were similar vehicles left by the wayside.
A great and interesting track though.
Living is a journey,it depends on where you go !
VKS 737 mobile 0049 selcall 0049

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 492681

Reply By: Member - Walter H (WA) - Friday, Aug 10, 2012 at 20:47

Friday, Aug 10, 2012 at 20:47
Image Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be FoundG'day shaker...I just completed the AB 10 days ago and like most tracks there is plenty of horrugations to shake you up, and after doing the CSR last year i feel that that the AB is worse as far as Corrugations are concerned, but with air pressures at 25psi it was bearable and between our 3 vehicles we only had the 1 flat tire in the 9 days that we took to cross.As for taking the Camper in to the plane id say go for it as the Dunes aren't that big and there are the familiar run ups that divert from the main track.All in all its a great track ..but it was freezing cold and one night the water froze in the tap....Have a great trip.
AnswerID: 492682

Sponsored Links