4 runner rear power window

Submitted: Saturday, Aug 11, 2012 at 18:06
ThreadID: 97371 Views:1397 Replies:1 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
G'day

The old 4Runner's rear window packed in at the worst time, dog in the back, cargo barrier behind the back seats and 14 year old retriever getting a bit worse for wear whilst I attempted to bend limbs etc in a manner which Houdini would have been proud.

Finally got through and got my best mate out, now for the advice, when i hit the switch in the front for the window, i hear the click of the relay at the back window, same thing happens when i turn the window key at the back door, clicks but no movement at the window.

Took it apart found the motor and tried to connect 12 volts direct to the motor, as soon as the wires touch the connection, sparks like crazy, reverse the polarity an same thing sparks away.

Would I be right in thinking that the sparking is a sign that the motor has an internal short, funny thing is when I connect the proper cable back to the motor it does not spark.

Any ideas or advice, the motors aint cheap

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: greybeard - Saturday, Aug 11, 2012 at 19:03

Saturday, Aug 11, 2012 at 19:03
cached 4 runner rear windowI can only find a cached copy of this web site.

It might give you a few clues to help, otherwise try google as there is a bit of history with the rear windows having problems.
AnswerID: 492719

Follow Up By: dbish - Saturday, Aug 11, 2012 at 22:25

Saturday, Aug 11, 2012 at 22:25
Its a common problem when the window tracks get dirty & makes the motor work hard. The control box has several small relays in it. The relays burn out due to exess load, the one i repaired had one of the relays melt. i replaceds 2 of the relays with ones from Altronics S4160A 12V 10A SPDT PCB Relay & that fixed it. He cleaned up the window tracks aswell.
FollowupID: 768377

Sponsored Links