DIY Bunk

Submitted: Saturday, Aug 11, 2012 at 22:47
ThreadID: 97377 Views:4790 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
What do you think would be the best way to make some bunks here? We would like to keep one side of the couch as seating if possible...
We would use the couch as the bottom bunk but would need to make some sort of top bunk?
Any suggestions? links etc?

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: disco driver - Saturday, Aug 11, 2012 at 23:29

Saturday, Aug 11, 2012 at 23:29
Angie,
Without knowing how many littlies you need to bed down. here's a suggestion.
That table looks like it is designed to fold down to level with the couch base and is then converted to a friendly double by adding a foam slab the size of the table top.
If the kids ( 2 ??) are not too big you could sleep them top to tail on that bed with the eldest on the outside quite comfortably and still leave a bit of seating for you and Dom.

We used a similar setup for my 2 boys until they were game enough to sleep in their own little tent next to our van (they were around 6 and 8 at the time).

Hope this gives you something to consider as looking at the setup in your pix looks like top bunk would be a bit difficult given the window on the front and the side

Disco.
AnswerID: 492733

Reply By: Member - Joe n Mel n kids (FNQ - Saturday, Aug 11, 2012 at 23:35

Saturday, Aug 11, 2012 at 23:35
hi guys,
If you have google search enter "caravan bunks" and the down the LH side hit the "Images" and you will see all sorts of combinations, we have to do the same to ours as well...
Cheers
Joe
AnswerID: 492735

Reply By: jacent - Sunday, Aug 12, 2012 at 06:26

Sunday, Aug 12, 2012 at 06:26
Hi mate, I have seen alot of older vans as my parents owned a caravan park for ten years... The one van that comes to mind with a very similar set up to what you have has its bunk set up as follows...
Remove the curved cushion.. on top of the window ( the end of the van on your left as you walk in) has a piece of veneered timber bolted/ screwed to it running the entire width of the van. either a large piano style hinge or three smaller ones are then screwed to the timber.. cut out a piece of timber (with veneer so it blends in) to make the top bunk base and screw it to the hinge/ hinges. this will swing down against the window so it forms the back rest to your couch.. you will use the top bunk mattress (same material as your cushions so it matches) to become your couch backrest when the bunk is not in use. Then when it gets time to use the top bunk you use two stainless / chrome shower curtain poles ( stored under the couch) either end to support the un hinged side of the top bunk. these hold in place with the shower curtain brackets that you would normally screw into you shower ( they are an oval shape with a screw hole either end and a hole in the middle for the pole to slide into) and thats pretty much it.. unsure about a ladder as none of them evey had one? mayb you could knock up a removable one? I believe this type of bunk set up became discontinued due to new bunk regs where you need a rail on the side to stop the kid falling out. I'm sure you could fit a collapsable type similar to the sides on a hospital bed? they have two rails with sheathed cable between them and hinged on the corners so the can collapse/ when not needed. I hope what I have written is not too confusing? this is the easiest way for you as fara as im concerned..
AnswerID: 492744

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (9)