Great central road with a trailer

Im thinking driving Qld to Perth via great central road.The thing is I have been over here working so my trailer is loaded with 3 boxes of tools so I have a bit of a load for the hi lux .I have driven the nullabor lots of times and would love to go this way.I have heard that this road can punish trailers is this the case?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Hairy (WA) - Sunday, Aug 12, 2012 at 15:34

Sunday, Aug 12, 2012 at 15:34
Gday,
All depends on the condition of the road at the time but its usually kept in really good condition . I wouldnt hesitate towing a trailer across there.

Cheers
AnswerID: 492770

Reply By: Member - Andrew L (QLD) - Sunday, Aug 12, 2012 at 16:03

Sunday, Aug 12, 2012 at 16:03
It can be rough for corrogations either side of Docker River areas.

Have good tyres, let'em down, tie your load down, wipe the speed, and have a reasonable trailer.
AnswerID: 492771

Follow Up By: AlanTH - Sunday, Aug 12, 2012 at 18:34

Sunday, Aug 12, 2012 at 18:34
Did the GCR about a month ago and yes there were some very rough areas past Docker River.
We drove both sides of the road (virtually no other traffic at all so quite safe) and up the banks either side in an effort to find a decent ride. We were towing a small van and let its tyres and the Prados down to about 25psi and had no stuff thrown around or damage so although slow it wasn't a bad trip.
Have a good one.
Alan.
FollowupID: 768398

Reply By: Member - Walter H (WA) - Sunday, Aug 12, 2012 at 22:51

Sunday, Aug 12, 2012 at 22:51
G"day Phil...I just came of the GCR 10 days ago on my return from Alice Springs and yes like others have said it was a bit rough at the start and around Docker river on the WA/NT, boarder but all its not that bad if you run your tires at lower pressures and slow your speed, I also chatted with other traveller with large caravans that had made it thru with no problems ,I left Uluru 10 o'clock on tues and arrived at Laverton on 11 on Thursday morning while averaging about 80kmh and stopping at 4 to make camp....anyway hope this helps as its a great trip and cuts out many k's by keeping of the black top.....Cheers
AnswerID: 492794

Reply By: Macca - Monday, Aug 13, 2012 at 14:43

Monday, Aug 13, 2012 at 14:43
Hi
My wife and I drove the GCR in the Triton with our Cub Supamatic off-road C/T from Laverton in May.

I echo everything said by others. It reminded me of the Tanami 'Track' - almost a highway these days but with some short corrugated sections. Several convoys of caravans - off road capable of course - passed us and trucks use it too.

It's a really good drive.

Enjoy
Macca
AnswerID: 492816

Sponsored Links