Advice on Gold detector

Thought we might log into the wealth of knowledge within members.

We do lots of fossicking but thought we might branch out in gold detecting as well.

Any advice about entry level models would be welcomed. SO far have advice to look at Minelab X- terra 705 Gold pack and also the Garrett AT Gold.

Any advice welcomed. Thanks D&G
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Outback Gazz - Tuesday, Aug 14, 2012 at 20:03

Tuesday, Aug 14, 2012 at 20:03
G'day D&G

Can't really help you with the "gold detector" bit - but if you need a "gold digger" I can put you in touch with my ex wife !!

Cheers

Gazz
AnswerID: 492887

Reply By: Mikelb - Tuesday, Aug 14, 2012 at 20:37

Tuesday, Aug 14, 2012 at 20:37
Hi D&G
Have had an Xterra 70 with the gold coil for about 12 years. It is an excellent entry machine and easy to use. I use mine mainly for beach detecting or in parks etc looking for relics or coins. I did not use it for gold as I had a Minelab 3500 and now have a Minelab 5000. Cannot comment on the Garrett. I have been very happy with the Xterra, and now Coilsearch have a !5'' coil for the Xterra for Relic work and I have found it great.
Good luck, its a great hobby.
Mike
AnswerID: 492890

Reply By: gelatr- Tuesday, Aug 14, 2012 at 21:31

Tuesday, Aug 14, 2012 at 21:31
Hi D&G

Try the Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum http://golddetecting.4umer.net Generally lots of solid advice and information on gold detectors.

Cheers

Geoff
AnswerID: 492897

Reply By: PeterInSa - Wednesday, Aug 15, 2012 at 11:03

Wednesday, Aug 15, 2012 at 11:03
Do you want a walk in the bush with a metal detector, or do you want to find Gold.
Are you going to do it for 2 weeks only or for a month or more for the rest of your life. Answers may help you decide what to buy

IMHO any detector will find gold, ( eg cost $50 and is 40 years old, but in mint condition) if your lucky enough to walk over it and its a fair size nugget close to the surface.

But to find gold where others have walked over/detected to have a reasonable chance I suggest the Minelab 4500 is the best buy. OK it may cost around $4,500, but its a great detector for the beginner and experienced prospector alike.

Don't buy a 4500 and chances are, you will not find any/much gold ( but have a good time trying, and leave gold finding to the rest of us) or will later upgrade to a Minelab 4000, 4500 or 5000.

Mate had an old detector ML 2000, (before he upgraded) used it for 1000's of hours, because he knew it so well could do better than others with modern machines (Ok he could read the ground as well)

Peter

AnswerID: 492908

Reply By: D&G - Thursday, Aug 16, 2012 at 09:52

Thursday, Aug 16, 2012 at 09:52
Many thanks for all the responses
AnswerID: 492965

Reply By: Member - bungarra (WA) - Thursday, Aug 16, 2012 at 12:44

Thursday, Aug 16, 2012 at 12:44
Hi D & G

I do a lot of prospecting and you need to know it can be an expensive hobby with the initial purchase of the actual detector...along with the "add ons"...extra coils, spares, suitable GPS, maps, and so on

You may find that after a few days it is not for you. Secondly it isn't as simple as getting one and swinging it on likely ground.

Firstly you have to know what you are doing with the machine and its plethora of settings and secondly get lucky enough to walk over a piece and recognise you have got a signal....in fact you will get lots of signals...they detect metal not gold specifically...you gotta dig em all up to find out !

Above all you have to know where you can legally prospect or not. That can be a minefield on its own for the uninitiated..relitively simple to plan and find out but perhaps a bit of a mission starting cold to learn the ropes and legalities.

Honestly the first recommendation would to be go on a tag along tour, (anywhere from a weekend to 10 days or so)....hire their machine and see if prospecting is for you...you will also learn how to use the machine and also what machine may suit you and your budget

Have a look on this site and post queries..plenty of helpful people and sound advice

Forum http://.4umer.net

it is a rewarding hobby if you treat it as fun...any gold found is the bonus..if you need to recover your expenditure on the detector outlay....don't buy it... you may end up well out of pocket and disillusioned.

Lastly if you are going to just purchase a detector regardless of advice then make sure it is a minelab......not going to mention models as your budget will dictate that.

Cheers
Life is a journey, it is not how we fall down, it is how we get up.
VKS 1341

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 492974

Follow Up By: D&G - Thursday, Aug 16, 2012 at 13:52

Thursday, Aug 16, 2012 at 13:52
HI bungarra (WA)

Thanks for the info and advice - could you please check the link for me as it doesn't seem to work for me Regards D&G
FollowupID: 768591

Follow Up By: Member - bungarra (WA) - Thursday, Aug 16, 2012 at 14:59

Thursday, Aug 16, 2012 at 14:59
http://golddetecting.4umer.net/

sorry missed a bit....this will work
Life is a journey, it is not how we fall down, it is how we get up.
VKS 1341

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 768592

Sponsored Links