Ironman Icecube Fridge/Freezer

Hi,

I'm looking at buying a 40liter Ironman Fridge as its about the biggest fridge that I can find that will fit behind the third row of my Landcruiser (its 350ml wide which fits just nicely, Waeco's & Engels are wider than this).

I'm intersted to hear how people who have them would rate their performance, how do they go when its hot (say 30 - 40 degrees), do they still keep things cold, can they still freeze things when it is this hot?

I don't want a debate about what fridge is best, really hoping for some practical input.

Cheers & thanks in advance,

Derm
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Broodie H3 - Wednesday, Aug 15, 2012 at 14:43

Wednesday, Aug 15, 2012 at 14:43
Hi Derm, we have found that with most portable fridges that you can buy the most important item is a fridge cover, that zips over the whole fridge and has the air vents in the correct place, and greatly helps with the cooling in extreme temperature's. As for the Ironman I believe they are as good as any of the newer ones that are available on the market to-day. I hope this helps.
Broodie H3
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 492918

Follow Up By: Dermottj - Wednesday, Aug 15, 2012 at 14:50

Wednesday, Aug 15, 2012 at 14:50
Cheers Broodie,

I've been wondering about the covers, will buy one on that basis I think as long as others have had reasonable experiences with the fridges!

Cheers

Derm
FollowupID: 768523

Reply By: Muntoo - Wednesday, Aug 15, 2012 at 20:32

Wednesday, Aug 15, 2012 at 20:32
You will find that the Ironman fridge uses the Danfoss Bd-35 compressor, which is the same compressor Waeco/ARB and others use.

The compressor is top notch.

Im not sure on the other components.

Insulation is really the main concern in relation to cooling amongst all the Danfoss fridges. Having looked at an Ironman fridge, it appeared that the casing was thicker then my Waeco. I didnt however like the catch on the lid, and thought that the overall feel was a little cheap.

I could be wrong though, as it was only a quick 30 second look. I have alot of Ironman gear, and they all do the job but are probably not the best you can buy. Thats ok with me though as its value for money im after.

There is a Ironman dealer every 20 seconds these days so warranty/issues will be easily sorted on the road. I have found Ironman to be the best i have ever experienced in regards to concerns or warranty issues.

I have a Waeco, and it freezes in any weather/temperature mate, provided its in the shade and with plenty of airflow around the vents. The key is too keep the fridge as shaded as possible and allow the fan to circulate air around with nothing blocking the vents. The covers work well, and alot of people block out windows surrounding the fridges with those foil windscreen covers.
AnswerID: 492946

Sponsored Links