Tyres

I have a Nissan Patrol 2010 are currently travelling around OZ and have been on the road now for a year. We do about 50/50 on road off road the current tyres are the originals but at 60k are now at their use by date. I am looking at Coopers STT but have had advise from everyone as to which is best. Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.

Peter
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: escapesilv - Wednesday, Aug 15, 2012 at 19:22

Wednesday, Aug 15, 2012 at 19:22
Hi P & G

Looking at that level of tyres I would go Coopers, the only thing is do you realy need STT, AT3 are a great tyre quieter on highway and very reliable on off road, unless you are planning on going into real mud terrain.

BFG are realy just as good, it's just a case of preference.

Cheers

Rob.
AnswerID: 492940

Follow Up By: Member - Keith P (NSW) - Wednesday, Aug 15, 2012 at 20:57

Wednesday, Aug 15, 2012 at 20:57
Heads up on the BFGs.
Would nearly have to be the premium fourby tyre available in OZ IMO.
Good all round grip ...tuff...and give a very good ride. Not the cheapest around...but there are good deals to be had if you shop around a bit..PLUS...you really do get what you pay for with tyres I have found. My BFG all-terains have now done 38000 k ...and going on the amount of tread left ...should get me about 95-105000 k .

Cheers Keith
Nothin is ever the same once I own it ...........

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 768553

Reply By: Tonyfish#58 - Wednesday, Aug 15, 2012 at 19:41

Wednesday, Aug 15, 2012 at 19:41
You could try Maxi Bravo 753's

They are a good performer, last well and cheaper than Coopers

Regards Tony
AnswerID: 492942

Follow Up By: Tonyfish#58 - Wednesday, Aug 15, 2012 at 19:44

Wednesday, Aug 15, 2012 at 19:44
Maxxi Review

Link Above FYI - Cheers
FollowupID: 768544

Reply By: Rockape - Wednesday, Aug 15, 2012 at 21:42

Wednesday, Aug 15, 2012 at 21:42
Pete,
I have had a few different tyres in the last decade and this is what I found. Troopcarrier with 285/75/16s.

This answer is honest with no preference to any manufacturer.

I had Wranglers that lasted really well but in the end they became very hard and were a danger on bitumen.

I went through 2 sets of Coopers. The first set were good and the second set lasted well for around 60000 k then they just started to fall to pieces.
What worries me about these tyres is either their quality control. I have a reason for this, but i can't be bothered going into it and I am not going to bag them.

My current set are BFG mud terrains. A bit noisy but I must say they give a great ride. We just did 15000k on these tyres and they came out very well in my view. Time will tell. I have about 2mm wear on the rears due to my detroit locker and towing and the fronts have just over 1mm so I am happy.

Net set will be BFG AT tyres or Bridgestone 694's depending on sizes for the vehicle I am going to buy.

RA.

AnswerID: 492951

Follow Up By: Andrew & Jen - Thursday, Aug 16, 2012 at 18:33

Thursday, Aug 16, 2012 at 18:33
Hullo RA

I like D694s as well and just put another set on the Series 80 and the half worn ones on the van.

I got the last set of 235x75R16 LTs in Adelaide - didn't think much of their replacement, the D697s.

IMHO, can't go past Toyo Open Country, either ATs or MTs. I have the MTs for the High Country but didn't go for the ATs because I wanted the same tyres (D694s) on the *0m and the van

Cheers
Andrew
FollowupID: 768606

Reply By: uppy - Thursday, Aug 16, 2012 at 08:42

Thursday, Aug 16, 2012 at 08:42
Hi P&G Ive got a 4.8 patrol using coopers st maxx 50/50 off road Im more than impressed ,low road noise ,used in mud /sand .Look good .Cost me $390 per tyre fitted.Have a great trip
regards Uppy
...the school bus,still gets us there

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 492962

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian, SA - Thursday, Aug 16, 2012 at 18:24

Thursday, Aug 16, 2012 at 18:24
Cooper themselves suggest that the STT is made for grip on very rough ground and that mileage is compromised as a result. Consider the ST..... in my view on a par with the BFG AT re specs. Between those two, I think the prevailing price is not a bad decider.... I'm using both brands at present - with careful use, they both seem to simply do the job of a robust light truck tyre. As mentioned above..... there are other brands too that have reliable LT tyres at a saving compared to Cooper and BFG.
AnswerID: 492989

Reply By: olcoolone - Thursday, Aug 16, 2012 at 19:34

Thursday, Aug 16, 2012 at 19:34
Your going to get many views on what's the best..... truth is not one brand is the best and what experience one may have good or bad it may be the opposite for someone else.

Most 4x4ers are tyre experts and think they know there stuff...... after reading it on the internet.

All I suggest is get a tyre that is suitable to your driving needs and try a buy a known leading brand.

If you were a weekend warrior I might of suggested one of the cheaper brands.

And you mentioned you need a tyre for 50/50 on and off road driving...... what do you call "off road", if it's like what most 4x4's do them a A/T type tyre may be more beneficial for you.

A/T and M/T tyres come in many different constructions as an example a M/T tyre may be worse then an A/T for strength, chip and puncture resistance.

All I can do is comment about the M/T tyres I have used personally....

We are a big fan of the Toyo Open Country M/T for a M/T stlye tyre.... very strong side walls, not noisy and wear OK but the down side is they are heavy, expensive and not crash hot in soft sand due to there stiff side walls.

The Mickey Thompson MTZ's are the worst tyres I have ever owned and have then fitted to a 200 series at the moment, they are soft, lugs are easily ripped of in rocky conditions, have soft side walls..... but the biggest issue is the noise.

We ran the Toyo's mostly for their strength and side wall puncture resistance on long distance remote trip where durability was our number one concern.... the Toyo's have a mega strong casing with solid tread blocks, the Mickey Thompson's we got were a short term fill in until we could bring in a set of Toyo's from the USA in a size not available in Australia.

We are looking at a set of Cooper ST Maxx to go onto the factory 18 inch rims for when we don't need the benefits of a M/T tyre...... in other words for about 60% of our trips

A M/T tyre will only outshine in muddy conditions where you need a tyre with an open tread patter to expel the mud...... for every thing else a A/T tyre will win hands down.

M/T tyres will use up to 3lts per 100k more in fuel, stability on the blacktop is reduced and they wear faster then an A/T.

I'm sure any quality tyre you will be happy with.

AnswerID: 492993

Reply By: Member - Bucky - Friday, Aug 17, 2012 at 04:18

Friday, Aug 17, 2012 at 04:18
Peter
BFG's ..... AT are the go !

Unless Cooper's have done a lot of improvement, over the last few years, I would not go near the.

Cheres
Bucky
AnswerID: 493013

Reply By: Innkeepers - Friday, Aug 17, 2012 at 08:47

Friday, Aug 17, 2012 at 08:47
We just replaced our BFG All Terrains on our 100 series cruiser. We also tow a Bushtracker van and a lot of that travel is Outback corrugated roads.

We went with the BFG's again because we got 110,000 k's out of the first set and they weren't down to the wear marks when we changed them.

That's our tyre story and to give you an idea of the type of work our tyres do, you can see some of our travels at www.nomadznow.com.

Hope this helps
Cheers
Rick
AnswerID: 493032

Reply By: P & G - Friday, Aug 17, 2012 at 13:55

Friday, Aug 17, 2012 at 13:55
Thanks all for the feedback - certainly gives some food for thought. I will be back in Darwin picking up the wagon next week and then will shop around for some new tyres. Can anyone recommend a supplier in Darwin.

Thanks again

Peter
AnswerID: 493053

Sponsored Links