tyredog

Submitted: Wednesday, Aug 15, 2012 at 22:59
ThreadID: 97437 Views:3619 Replies:5 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
I have recently done a trip across the gibb river road where all my trye dogs falied. Tthe battery cages broke off. spoke to other people along the way thay had similer problems but all comentmed that they did not work on corrogations. I have read a couple of other forums and people are saying the same things might be alright for on road use but definately not a 4x4 drive product. I have an 8 tyre dog set and cost me $1000 and am going to try and recover some of my money through consumer affairs as they were sold to me by TJM as a 4 wheel drive product.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Cravenhaven - Wednesday, Aug 15, 2012 at 23:22

Wednesday, Aug 15, 2012 at 23:22
MY tyredog 1000a 4 wheel system lasted for about 4 years before the senders began failing. In that time I did a lot of offroad stuff including the Gibb, kalumbaru, tanami, oodnadatta etc.
I bought the 5 wheel 1300a tyredog system on ebay last year and it has been working ok and again I have done a lot of serious offroad driving including the corner country, outback qld etc.
An ARB salesman suggested putting little foam rubber collars around the valve stems to prevent the sensors bashing against the rim and destroying the innards. I havent done it to mine, but it seemed like a good idea.
cravenhaven

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 492952

Follow Up By: Member - Vern (North Haven SA) - Thursday, Aug 16, 2012 at 07:13

Thursday, Aug 16, 2012 at 07:13
I agree with Cravenhaven, I to have a set of tyre dogs and have had the one set on my 4x4's for the last 5 years and still going strong, the comment about the foam on the valve collar was also suggested to me how ever I do not use it myself.
FollowupID: 768567

Reply By: Ross M - Thursday, Aug 16, 2012 at 11:28

Thursday, Aug 16, 2012 at 11:28
The tyre dog system seems a good idea but if they can't handle rough work, which is what they are sold for, then it might be just as prudent to but a couple of extra tyres with the money instead of the tyre dogs.
Then you will get more travel distance for your dollar as the tyre dogs don't give longer life of either the tyres or the tyredog itself.

Most electronic equipment doesn't take kindly to being bashed around and hit on hard surfaces, it seems to be no exception here.

An 8 piece tyre dog set nearly buys me a full set of new tyres
I know where I will put my money.
AnswerID: 492971

Follow Up By: Cravenhaven - Thursday, Aug 16, 2012 at 11:48

Thursday, Aug 16, 2012 at 11:48
My original tyredog cost me about the same as a new tyre and the motivation for buying it was the destruction of 2 tyres because I wasnt aware that they had been punctured until it was too late.
As far as prolonging the life of tyres, a tyre monitoring system will indeed assist by notifying you that the tyres are correctly inflated and are not running too hot.
My second tyredog system cost less than half the cost of a tyre and also monitors the spare which is a handy addition.
cravenhaven

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 768586

Reply By: Member - David T (SA) - Thursday, Aug 16, 2012 at 11:48

Thursday, Aug 16, 2012 at 11:48
Hi Patrick
I have had Tyredogs for 6 or 7 years and this year damaged one in the Pilbara. First damage ever and they have performed well on countless corrugated roads. I am happy with mine. It may be that some rims leave them more exposed. I have heard a recommendation to use shorter valve stems for protection but I have not done that and accept that 1 damaged after 6 years is acceptable. In that time they have warned me about 1 slow leak. Debatable if that is good value money wise but I think the potential warning from a safety point of view is worth it.
Cheers
Dave
AnswerID: 492973

Follow Up By: PeterInSa - Thursday, Aug 16, 2012 at 15:02

Thursday, Aug 16, 2012 at 15:02
Agree with David T [but I think the potential warning from a safety point of view is worth it. ]

On a recent trip the TPMS system I use saved 3 tyres ( 1 van and 2 tug), but also agree on potential sensor damage when used on outback Roads/Tracks, the sensors seem to bump against the rim( can see rim wear marks), also had a tyre replacement and the valve stem was not replaced some time later had a leak from the base of the tyre valve stem. ie the hard rubber valve stem was not flexible enough to cope with the movement of the sensor.

But am very happy with the purchase, should have got them years ago.

Are the foam collars avaiable to purchase, if so from whom?

Peter
FollowupID: 768593

Reply By: BFreer - Thursday, Aug 16, 2012 at 15:24

Thursday, Aug 16, 2012 at 15:24
I use the S&T 1209 system from Autogizmo which is similar to the TPMS brand and has sealed batteries - at first had a problem with a couple of sensors dropping out and could see rub marks on the rims where they were obviously knocking against when driving. Have put in metal valve stems @ $7 each and the tpms has worked without fault since including a recent trip of 10k with more than 2k on outback roads. The metal valve stems are rigid and a bit shorter and the sensors now sit inside the rim dish and are not exposed to rocks etc. I am happy with that setup and the S&T system
AnswerID: 492976

Follow Up By: Clarkey - Thursday, Aug 16, 2012 at 20:07

Thursday, Aug 16, 2012 at 20:07
I have used the Tyre dogs for the last 6 years and have found that it you can reduce the movement in the valve stem then you will not have any problems. I use ATV valve stems in all my wheels for that reason.
FollowupID: 768611

Reply By: PhilD - Thursday, Aug 16, 2012 at 23:27

Thursday, Aug 16, 2012 at 23:27
Hi,
I have the Autogizmo system, and it has worked well except destroying sensors on rough tracks/roads. They have been replaced under warranty, but I now use steel valve stems, and have put a little bit of foam in the screw cap, to soften any impact.
I still use the rubber stems for inflation/deflation, but the second stem is very convenient and works well.
Phil
AnswerID: 493012

Sponsored Links