battery into jayco hawk

Submitted: Thursday, Aug 16, 2012 at 20:51
ThreadID: 97459 Views:7531 Replies:1 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi guys, Look, I know this subject has been well covered by lots of members but I just need that last little bit of knowledge or advice thats out there.... before I go ahead and fit a deep cycle battery, plus CTEK charger if needed into my 99 Hawk outback.
So far I have found out that the stock Centaurion CS 2000 inverter/converter is a pretty average unit with almost no wiring information. The common theme seems to be to replace it completely with a multi stage battery charger? Is this necessary? Considering that is is working fine at the moment when connected to 240 volts?
After checking the back of the Centaurion unit, there is labelling to show where to connect the battery + and - wires.....however, the positive terminal connection already has a wire connected and this goes to a finned alloy regulator?or one way diode?device? that is mounted to the campers plywood floor right near the Centaurion. This thing is about the size of 2 cigarette packets and the positive wire then exits this and goes back into the main wiring harness. It is not grounded.
I have had a lot of 12 volt experience working with motorcycles etc, so im keen to make it happen but Im just not 100% confident and cant seem to get any technical info or wiring diagrams?
Any help would be appreciated!!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Peter E1 (VIC) - Friday, Aug 17, 2012 at 13:08

Friday, Aug 17, 2012 at 13:08
I'm interested in this as well. We have a '98 12' Jayco Starcraft with no battery and the same Centurion unit. We are also planning to fit a battery and charger to hopefully get a less noisy unit. The Centurion is pretty noisy and it is great when the last light is turned off and peace returns.
The consensus on other forums is to replace the Centurion completely with a good multistage charger and use it as a 12v power supply. When you look at the prices of these good units and factor in battery/labour etc. it can be a pretty expensive exercise if you can't do it yourself.
We mainly use caravan parks with 240v plugged in, and as we only have 5 lights to power on 12v, a big jumpstarter is all we have for 12v on the move unless we are still attached to the tow vehicle. Then the lights are powered from the tug via the towing plug.
Getting a circuit diagram for you unit is not easy but hopefully someone can steer you in the right direction.
Best of luck and happy camping!!
AnswerID: 493049

Follow Up By: sandy 450 - Sunday, Aug 19, 2012 at 23:18

Sunday, Aug 19, 2012 at 23:18
Thanks for the reply Peter, i'm sure i can sort it......it just amazes me the lack of Jayco manuals or support available for something like this!
Cheers
FollowupID: 768806

Follow Up By: Member - Peter E1 (VIC) - Monday, Aug 20, 2012 at 19:02

Monday, Aug 20, 2012 at 19:02
trying to insert photo for you.
Image Could Not Be Found
FollowupID: 768851

Follow Up By: sandy 450 - Tuesday, Sep 04, 2012 at 11:36

Tuesday, Sep 04, 2012 at 11:36
Hey thanks for the diagram Peter, very helpful, will post some pics and short story when i have it finished.....cheers
FollowupID: 769850

Sponsored Links