HF Radio

Its time to purchase our HF radio what is your thoughts should it be Barrett or Codan. We are leaning towards the wireless Barrett 2050 kind regards Alan.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ross M - Friday, Aug 17, 2012 at 21:39

Friday, Aug 17, 2012 at 21:39
G'day Alan
Just some opinions. I investigated this very issue late last year.
Most electronic equipment is now controlled by some computerization in today's world.
If something goes wrong with it you usually can't fix it.

The Barrett is a proven radio design which has had some aspects of its operation added to by computerization to bring it into the modern age. A good reliable radio nontheless.

The Codan NGT is a computer made to work and perform as a radio. It has been designed from the ground up to be a computer controlled radio. So it has the elements needed to be a radio but the basics and all the functionality is done by the programming of the computer. If it requires and upgrade as they become available the Codan can be linked to a base computer and upgraded, cloned and programmed very easily. Most times programming of channels is the thing which you would want altered and this too is done easily. Just a couple of seconds.

Although most of the programming you will ever need is done prior to delivery both radios can be manually added to with respect to programming channels.

The Codan advantage is the fact that most of the steps required when using the Barrett to establish contact and make a radio call or phone call is already programmed into the Codan system and just a small number of key touches are required to complete the entire procedure. Far simpler than the Barrett.

As I said, Both are good, but for user ease the Codan is now my choice. It never was before I talked to a Codan dealer here in Victoria. He sells many of them. The ratio of Codan to Barrett sales is around 17 to 1. Unfortunately, I haven't got the funds available to purchase one.

Ross M
AnswerID: 493084

Reply By: cobber - Friday, Aug 17, 2012 at 21:40

Friday, Aug 17, 2012 at 21:40
Hi Alan, its a bit of a Ford/Holden thing, I have a Codan NGT find it easy to operate and very happy with it, when you get it, join Roy's Austravel network it is a local WA operation with bases in the east as well...............Regards Cobber (WA)
AnswerID: 493085

Reply By: ken triton - Friday, Aug 17, 2012 at 22:38

Friday, Aug 17, 2012 at 22:38
Hi Alan
I have a Codan NGT and am very happy with it, it's easy to use and has performed faultlessly. In saying this friends that have Barretts are also happy, I think if I had to buy a new unit I would still buy a Codan as I can't fault the NGT Whatever brand you buy they are a great investment, the VKS network is fantastic. Good luck and happy travels
Ken
AnswerID: 493091

Reply By: mountainman - Friday, Aug 17, 2012 at 23:14

Friday, Aug 17, 2012 at 23:14
sat phone,
if you go fishing, hit trouble its their in the boat.
or go for a long walk, it fits in your backpack.
transportable, reasonable cost.
ease of carrying anywhere you go,

i thought of the hf radio myself, but it has to remain with the car, BULKY, cant take it in the boat, or you go for a stroll and have a stroke...

other thing is worse case, vehicle fire, electrical fire, then no communication at all.
sat phone is easier to use.

yes sometimes no satelite, but they both have their downfalls.

ive always been keen on the hf, but sat phone is soo much easier to carry!!

let us know what you buy, and feedback on it.
all the cops in mt ISA have hf, that do the remote area command on their vehicles though.
AnswerID: 493094

Follow Up By: muffin man - Saturday, Aug 18, 2012 at 15:06

Saturday, Aug 18, 2012 at 15:06
Hey MM,
The guy doesn't want a satphone he wants advice on HF brands.
And could you clarify what you will be stroking on your stroll :)
MM
FollowupID: 768702

Reply By: Member - Anthony W Adelaide - Friday, Aug 17, 2012 at 23:52

Friday, Aug 17, 2012 at 23:52
Hi Alan,

We have a Barrett 2050 traveller pack. Its been very good except for an issue with moisture in the antenna which prevented it from tuning. This was rectified by Barrett at no cost to us even though warranty had expired so we can't complain about after sales service, its very good.

Its very simple to operate with the autotune antenna. Just turn it on, select channell and tune antenna(push button) and its ready to use.

We get great reception/transmission from all over the place to all VKS bases.
Wooly VKS-737 Mobile 0058

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 493096

Reply By: racinrob - Saturday, Aug 18, 2012 at 08:08

Saturday, Aug 18, 2012 at 08:08
As previous posts have suggested both Barrett and Codan are good, I have a Codan NGT which I can't fault but it's all a matter of choice. You will have to join a club to access frequencies, again a matter of choice but check out the HF Radio Club, they have many services the others don't. A good club with many get togethers during the year to meet other members and also learn more about your radio's capabilities.

rr VKE237 Sel6678
AnswerID: 493100

Reply By: Member - Alastair D (NSW) - Saturday, Aug 18, 2012 at 08:27

Saturday, Aug 18, 2012 at 08:27
Another vote for NGT which I have had happily for 5 years. When I did my decision making it came down to ease of use.
cheers
AnswerID: 493103

Follow Up By: Member - Alastair D (NSW) - Saturday, Aug 18, 2012 at 08:32

Saturday, Aug 18, 2012 at 08:32
Alan,
A further thought.

If the HF is primarily for emergency use then you probably do not need to get the expensive autotune aerial. You can get a good multi-tap whip for much less and without the potential for failure that goes with more complex devices.
cheers
FollowupID: 768688

Reply By: olcoolone - Saturday, Aug 18, 2012 at 12:30

Saturday, Aug 18, 2012 at 12:30
Any dedicated HF land mobile is going to be good.

We use an Icom IC-F7000 with a Codan antenna and find the radio and antenna very good, have had a Codan before with no problems.

The three main ones for sure would have to be the Barrett, Codan and Icom.... the Barrett and Codan have a larger support base then Icom but the Icom I would rate as better quality with better user friendly features..... but then again it depends what you get use to.

AnswerID: 493115

Reply By: wombat100 - Saturday, Aug 18, 2012 at 14:39

Saturday, Aug 18, 2012 at 14:39
If 'mounting space' is an issue, like it is in a lot of modern vehicles, we have a Q-Mac HF. 250 channels is more than enough for us, and using a tapped whip antenna, we had good comms thru Alice Springs & Adelaide on a recent trip.

AnswerID: 493121

Reply By: cookie1 - Saturday, Aug 18, 2012 at 18:22

Saturday, Aug 18, 2012 at 18:22
Another vote for the Codan NGT, I went into Electric Bug in Adelaide and had them service it / do any updates befdore I hit the Canning Stock Route and it cost $40.00 for the latest firmware and channel updates. My reason for the Codan NGT is the buttons are all on the mic so no big head unit to try and find a spot for.

I also had HF Tel enabled and it paid for itself during the trip as we had to call one of the stations for fuel for a potential fuel leak in the aux tank - which turned out to be broken fuel sender wires. I also called home every few days so would deinitely recommend this service from VKS737.

Cheers

Colin
AnswerID: 493129

Reply By: anglepole - Sunday, Aug 19, 2012 at 11:39

Sunday, Aug 19, 2012 at 11:39
As has been said above both the Codan and Barrett are excellent radios. Codan appear to be too quick to remove support from older models. Barrett on the other hand have good support for all their models.

I have a Barrett 550 (18 years old) and it needed a new crystal oven, the local dealer had one in stock and replaced the next day.

I also have a preference to buy Australian and I read an article in our local paper that Codan have some of their products processed in China
AnswerID: 493177

Reply By: Member - Alan John C (WA) - Sunday, Aug 19, 2012 at 14:47

Sunday, Aug 19, 2012 at 14:47
Thanks all for your thoughts it seems that ease of operation goes to Codan but service and maintainance goes to Barrett so we have decided on the Barrett Wireless 2050 which has all the simplicity of the Codan with Australian parts and service kind regards Alan.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 493184

Reply By: Geoff in SA - Monday, Aug 20, 2012 at 22:48

Monday, Aug 20, 2012 at 22:48
Hi Allen
The 2050 wireless has an upgraded model due for release in the next month so hold off for a while
I will forward the info to you about what I have in relation when I get back to Adelaide in the next day or so.

Sent from the airport lounge in KL.
Waiting for the interconnecting flight.

Geoff
AnswerID: 493300

Sponsored Links