Hot weather and smoke.

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 14, 2004 at 18:17
ThreadID: 9749 Views:1470 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
My 3.0l Surf TD runs very clean most of the time, hardly any black smoke, however as soon as the outside temp hits 30 degrees+ she starts puffing.

Q. Is this becuase the under bonnet temp is very very hot and the air intake is sucking hot air, being compressed by the turbo to an even higher temp and then the deisal is not being burnt propery in the engine (hence black smoke).

If this is the case, do you think a Snorkel might help out with this problem?

Also Does anyone know where I can buy a nice big tool Roll from to put all my gear in, I have two small ones at the mo that I have aquired but would like to put everything into one nice neat package...

Thanks for any help!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Matt M - Wednesday, Jan 14, 2004 at 18:30

Wednesday, Jan 14, 2004 at 18:30
It has everything to do with the ambiant temp, if it gets too hot the air is less dense and results in incomplete combustion. A Snorkel will help a little, it allows for the cooler intake being higher and not hot off the road and then hotter again from the under bonnet heat!

Mine was noticeable on a TD Rodeo, but it will depend on your vehicle whether the difference is noticeable or not!

An intercooler is aloso a helpful addition in the search for complete combustion or more ponies!

Goodluck!

Matt.
AnswerID: 42993

Reply By: howesy - Wednesday, Jan 14, 2004 at 18:33

Wednesday, Jan 14, 2004 at 18:33
Relates to the density of the air. As Nitrous changes the capacity of the air to deliver oxygen so too the density of the air affects oxygen delivery. You will also notice on cars without HAC that high altitudes will also affect it. Cars with air flow sensors and electronics are less affected in this way. I believe your surf is only responding to the changes in air and fuel density. But hey I could be wrong go and get it checked. peace of mind comes at a small price when compared to engine rebuilds.
AnswerID: 42994

Reply By: Brian from Bi-Tron Fuel & Oil Metal Treatment - Wednesday, Jan 14, 2004 at 21:50

Wednesday, Jan 14, 2004 at 21:50
Hi Jeff,

If you want to check out my "Press Release" on Bi-tron. This Product will help any engine run cooler and more efficient with almost 100% fuel burn.

E-mail me.

Regards,

Brian 525Bi-Tron Fuel & Oil Metal Treatment
AnswerID: 43020

Sponsored Links