Comment: Water Tank

Gooday we are currently in Kununurra just got off the gibb river road. I have to say we overdid the water thing, but can you overdo it? Our solution is 3 20 litre Jerry cans and as a backup 3 litre milk bottles. 6 of them stacked in Milk crate which is easy to pack, can even put it on a roof rackif need e. they are easy to refill at a Creek etc or in even in a public loo somewhere. They even came in handy in supplying some wate to an aboriginal bloke who was havin an overheating problem. We carried two crates and an extra bottle ie 13 bottles one crate would have sufficed. Anyway that's my Idea keep burning up some fellow travellers,gotta go update my blog. Thanks david
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Trev&Ness B - Sunday, Aug 19, 2012 at 19:26

Sunday, Aug 19, 2012 at 19:26
david

like you said i dont think that there is such a thing as over doing it on water. Alot of people travel with what they think is the minimum of water that they will use, if something happens they soon find themselves in a bad situation. If you know that you are goin somewhere where not alot of people are going to be, fill your tanks and take extra if ya can, better to water some plants with the extra than to die cause you havnt got enough.
trev..
AnswerID: 493206

Reply By: Crackles - Sunday, Aug 19, 2012 at 20:21

Sunday, Aug 19, 2012 at 20:21
"...we overdid the water thing, but can you overdo it?"
Yes you certainly can overdo water Dave..... It weighs 1kg per litre!
Friends who did the Canning earlier this year fitted an 80 litre plastic tank, a 50 litre bladder & carried 4 x 25 litre Jerries totalling almost 1/4 of a tonne & that's before all the extra fuel was loaded! End result was a cracked tray body, broken spring & failed shocks.
100 litres of water for 2 people in a Kimberly winter following the main tourist routes? ....... Wouldn't carry that much myself seeing there are so many opportunities to top up along the way.
Cheers Craig..............
AnswerID: 493212

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Monday, Aug 20, 2012 at 09:04

Monday, Aug 20, 2012 at 09:04
David,

Did a trip to Lake Eyre last June, and took too much water.

The ute already has a 30L s/s tank at front of tray, and I added about another 70L in plastic jerricans. Only the 2 of us, and when we got home after 10 days, still had at least 50L we hadn't touched. Used creek water for a shower one night, and most other nights had showers provided where we camped.

Craig is right, you can have too much. And in winter, our requirements aren't quite as high.

Am just about to fit an 80L tank underneath the tray. Maybe overkill, but don't have to fill it all the time, and am not worried about the strength of the tray.

Enjoy Kununurra,

Bob.

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 493237

Reply By: CSeaJay - Monday, Aug 20, 2012 at 14:30

Monday, Aug 20, 2012 at 14:30
Agree one can overdo water,
Specially considering the destination

Do a remote track desert crossing it is a safety issue, yes.

But in consideration of other destinations, take into account the availability of water

When we did the CSR, we took too much water, and too many spares. Result, overloaded, and amongst other the diesel tank cracked, four shockies, and more

In hindsight if we trusted our calculations, take into account the availability of water at wells, and at the time we met at least 4 other vehicles per day, that extra weight was an issue and we could have saved 60kg of water

On the Kimberley (just returned ourselves) there are plenty of good quality water everywhere. We took 20 l of drinking water (family of 5) only, and used the supplied water or creek water for non-drinking tasks like washing. Never a problem.

Planning and balance
AnswerID: 493259

Sponsored Links