The Saga of the 80 series clunk

Hi all.
I posted this some time ago looking for help.
80 Series Clunk
I am clutching at straws now and am after somebody that may be experienced with the Landcruiser A442F transmission.
My vehicle is a 96 model HDJ80 with the 1HD-Ft and auto transmission.
It has a clunk when you come to a stop 90% of the time. On the odd occasion it doesn't clunk when you stop, it does when you take off and release the brakes.
So far I have had the rear diff overhauled, rear upper control arm bushes replaced, sway bar bushes replaced, new rear tail shaft, part time kit installed removed then installed again, kick down cable adjusted and idle speed checked. It is idling at about 725rmp.
I swear it feels like it is coming from the back but somebody mentioned to me about the anti clunk set up in these transmissions but I know nothing of these.
When I go down through the gears manually it still does it. It does it with the overdrive on or off, heavy or light braking.
Help please.
Scott
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: 120scruiser (NSW) - Monday, Aug 20, 2012 at 21:11

Monday, Aug 20, 2012 at 21:11
I have also had the rear wheel bearing done and the rear brakes done as well as the handbrake shoes checked and adjusted.
AnswerID: 493290

Reply By: Paul and Mel - Monday, Aug 20, 2012 at 21:29

Monday, Aug 20, 2012 at 21:29
what about the torque convertor?
AnswerID: 493293

Follow Up By: 120scruiser (NSW) - Tuesday, Aug 21, 2012 at 08:37

Tuesday, Aug 21, 2012 at 08:37
Thanks for the suggestion.
I had the torque convertor overhauled in 2009 about 40 000km ago due to the lock up clutch staying engaged. There was wear in a nylon washer inside causing it to not seat flat but on an angle and as a result the lock up clutch stayed engaged.
Thanks again.
Scott
FollowupID: 768895

Reply By: Graham & Lynne - Monday, Aug 20, 2012 at 21:38

Monday, Aug 20, 2012 at 21:38
Check the Backlash in the Centre Diff if it is still fitted now you have the Part Time 4x4 fitted
AnswerID: 493295

Follow Up By: 120scruiser (NSW) - Tuesday, Aug 21, 2012 at 08:38

Tuesday, Aug 21, 2012 at 08:38
Thanks for the reply.
When you fit the part time kit the centre diff is removed all but the front gear. All the spiders etc are removed which makes the centre diff a solid unit.
Thanks again.
Scott
FollowupID: 768896

Reply By: Ross M - Monday, Aug 20, 2012 at 22:40

Monday, Aug 20, 2012 at 22:40
I would be taking the shockers off and checking the free sliding nature of each one. If just 1 is a bit tight and has a habit of partially seizing it will give a thump as it starts to move under final braking or takeoff.

Seeing you have overhauled the rest of the vehicle there isn't a lot left.
If it was the transmission it would do it as you slow down gently on a flat surface before rolling to a stop with no brake input, as it changes to 1st ready for takeoff.
AnswerID: 493299

Follow Up By: 120scruiser (NSW) - Tuesday, Aug 21, 2012 at 08:40

Tuesday, Aug 21, 2012 at 08:40
Great suggestion.
I want to replace the OME ones with longer travel shocks to suit my springs so this may be a good time to convince the SWMBO to fork out the $$$ for new shocks.
I had a set sieze up on an old XY falcon once. Terrible ride.
Thanks for the suggestion.
Scott
FollowupID: 768897

Reply By: Mike R7 - Tuesday, Aug 21, 2012 at 10:03

Tuesday, Aug 21, 2012 at 10:03
Way back in the 70s, when I was young and dumb, my ute developed a clunk on taking of or stopping. After crawling all over and under it and checking all the transmission/drive train, I looked under the seat one day, only to find a can of coke that rolled back and forth as I moved. Very embarrassing.

From then on, I always check the simple things first.

Happy trails, Mike.
AnswerID: 493310

Reply By: Member - Broodie H3 - Tuesday, Aug 21, 2012 at 10:16

Tuesday, Aug 21, 2012 at 10:16
I don't know to much about your previous thread, and I am late into the conversation,and you sound like you may have already considered this but here is my two bob's worth, I would check the filter in the gear box and also it sounds like the gearbox mount is either loose or partially broken, as that is what was causing my clunking before I sold the vehicle. I took me for ever to solve, and I didn't solve it the mechanic at midland Toyota did. Good luck.
regards
Broodie H3
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 493311

Reply By: Member - john y - Tuesday, Aug 21, 2012 at 10:30

Tuesday, Aug 21, 2012 at 10:30
G'Day A site that I have found useful on all things 80 series is

www.offroad80s.com You may get some useful info there if all else fails.

Good luckjohn y
I will go anywhere as long as it's forward

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 493314

Reply By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Tuesday, Aug 21, 2012 at 13:28

Tuesday, Aug 21, 2012 at 13:28
Hi Scott,

This might be wide of the mark but the 80 series developed a clunk in the front end. It is caused by wear in the splines in the flanges at the whell, you know the plates which take the place of the free wheeling hub mechanism on the front wheels. This backlash is or can be quite pronouncedwhen wear is bad enough.

I had it in my first 80 series. It may not be this in your case but certainly worth mentioning here.

Cheers, Bruce.
At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 493329

Follow Up By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Tuesday, Aug 21, 2012 at 13:35

Tuesday, Aug 21, 2012 at 13:35
Another thought just came to me as I pressed the submit button.

Mt nephew is a Toyota mechanic in Brisbane and he was telling me that they have often been chasing similar noises in the cruisers and have often tracked it down to too much grease in the slider on the tail shaft. He said he never gives them any more than 2 squirts on the grease gun otherwise they act like a hydraulic puller. That is the grease acts like a brick wall and stops the slider from doing its job as the slider more or less comes up against a stop of grease.

Maybe check that out.

Remedy according to him is remove the nipple and drive around the block then put the nipple back in. Or bounce the vehicle a few of times with the nipple removed.

Hope this is of some help.

Cheers.
At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 768912

Reply By: 120scruiser (NSW) - Tuesday, Aug 21, 2012 at 14:43

Tuesday, Aug 21, 2012 at 14:43
Thanks but it is part time 4wd so everything from the transfer forward is out of the question. It has a brand new tail shaft fitted which I have greased once with only 2 squirts. I removed the old shaft, disassembled, cleaned and refitted with the same issue. All mounts are good and when it clunks you can feel it through the auto selector like the whole driveline is moving.
Thanks again
Scott
AnswerID: 493337

Reply By: Derek Jones - Tuesday, Aug 21, 2012 at 15:51

Tuesday, Aug 21, 2012 at 15:51
Have you checked your body mounts?

We had similar clunk in our LCruiser 100 series but from the front.

As it turned out one of the body mounts had loosened by very small margin (it wasn't noticeable to the naked eye) thus creating a clunking sound.

Might be worth a check - since you are clutching at straws.
AnswerID: 493343

Reply By: Life Member Tour Boy( Bundy) - Tuesday, Aug 21, 2012 at 18:30

Tuesday, Aug 21, 2012 at 18:30
Hi Scott,
You need to change all of the control arm bushes including the front ones. Why did you only change the rear uppers as they can all clunk even with a part timer. Put rubber ones back in as the nolathane can reduce articulation and eventually crack.
Cheers,
Dave
2010 Isuzu FTS800 Expedition camper
2015 Fortuner
Had 72 cruisers in my time

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 493350

Follow Up By: 120scruiser (NSW) - Tuesday, Aug 21, 2012 at 22:05

Tuesday, Aug 21, 2012 at 22:05
I replaced the front caster bushes thinking this was the clunk however when I pulled the old ones out they were fine. I put the new ones in anyway. I replaced the rear upper ones as one bush had a bit of a crack in it where the lower ones are in perfect order. Once the upper ones were out they were mostly ok but put the new ones back in anyway.
FollowupID: 768950

Reply By: Mikee5 - Tuesday, Aug 21, 2012 at 19:29

Tuesday, Aug 21, 2012 at 19:29
Years ago I had a clunk in my HJ45 Troop carrier. It was caused by the staked nut on the back of the transfer case main shaft coming loose, allowing the transfer gears to move forward and back when accelerating or decelerating. Don't know how the 80 series transfer differs from the older ones but may be worth looking into.
AnswerID: 493353

Reply By: gbc - Tuesday, Aug 21, 2012 at 20:11

Tuesday, Aug 21, 2012 at 20:11
Another 'maybe it'll help' post - My 80 had a clunk that I swore was from the driveline. Turned out body pan joins were rubbing, but sticky. Just drove a roofing screw straight through the overlapping body pan section and it fixed it.
This took a year or two to find and it drove me insane. I removed shocks, driveshafts, everything I could before I found it from sitting in the back seat one day while someone else drove.
AnswerID: 493358

Sponsored Links