Waeco CF-50 - is one end colder than the other, or are temps even at both ends?

Image Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be Found
I have a Waeco CF-50 and in my fridge setup, I use the divider to seperate food and drink cans. Two thirds is allocated to frozen cryovac'd food, and one third is for drinks.
My main problem is that when I restock the fridge with cans, the heat from the warm cans defrosts the frozen food.
I thought of using some air-cell insulation to create an insulated baffle between the warm cans and frozen food.
However I do not know if a Waeco CF-50 has even temperatures at both ends of the fridge, or if one end is colder (ie: closer to the pump). If one end is even marginally colder, then I would prefer to store the frozen food at that end.

Does anyone know if one end of a Waeco CF-50 is any colder than the other end?

cheers,
Mick

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: LeighW - Tuesday, Aug 21, 2012 at 08:39

Tuesday, Aug 21, 2012 at 08:39
Hi Mick, I think the cooling coils go around the metal bucket, the only thing I've noticed is that it is cooler outside the bucket, ie iat the very top, things only deep freeze in the metal bucket.

I haven't noticed cans defrosting other items in the bucket but I usually only replace two at a time.

Cheers
Leighw

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 493307

Reply By: Member - Geoff B (WA) - Tuesday, Aug 21, 2012 at 08:55

Tuesday, Aug 21, 2012 at 08:55
Hi
Not sure about the Waeco CF 50 as we have an 80 liter Waeco, but it only has elements down one end. It has special blocks to separate the fridge and freezer part. We tried covering the frozen section with stuff like you have so when opening the fridge the cold air doesnt get out, but we found that the air couldnt circulate around everything and then things would start to defrost. As for the drinks, if you are camping out where you have very cold/freezing nights, put your cans on the bonnett of the car overnight where they can cool down nicely before putting in the fridge!
Sue
AnswerID: 493308

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian, SA - Tuesday, Aug 21, 2012 at 11:10

Tuesday, Aug 21, 2012 at 11:10
I've got the CF 60 (same footprint- just taller)....have only ever used it as 'one zone' .....but maybe if you started yours up from warm, with the lid off and felt the walls every 5 minutes, a pattern of cold / no cold areas might be evident.
AnswerID: 493318

Reply By: CSeaJay - Wednesday, Aug 22, 2012 at 08:42

Wednesday, Aug 22, 2012 at 08:42
Mick

Why don't you just turn it on and feel for yourself where the cold plates are?

I do not have your model Weaco, but on mine I can feel exactly where they are within 5 minutes of turning it on. On mine, it is the end and half the sides opposite the 'dairy' section (the other side from the end the motor is)

Cheers

CJ
AnswerID: 493377

Reply By: Holden4th - Thursday, Aug 23, 2012 at 20:13

Thursday, Aug 23, 2012 at 20:13
You're separating the frozen from the cold vertically. Have you considered doing this horizontally?
AnswerID: 493481

Follow Up By: Member - Mick_* - Friday, Aug 24, 2012 at 00:10

Friday, Aug 24, 2012 at 00:10
Yeh thanks for that. Your post (and my tests with thermometer) showed me I was going against the laws of thermodynamics. Insulatinging it horozontally is the way to go. Thanks heaps.
FollowupID: 769095

Sponsored Links