Troopy Hard top versus Pop Top camper

Submitted: Wednesday, Aug 22, 2012 at 12:21
ThreadID: 97577 Views:7802 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi

Am looking to buy a used Troopy Bushcamper and wanted advice about the pros and cons of Hard Top versus Pop Top models.

Can anyone advise on this?

Alec :)
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Wednesday, Aug 22, 2012 at 12:32

Wednesday, Aug 22, 2012 at 12:32
Hi Alec,

Well a hard top is more convenient eliminating raising and lowering exercises, but it is higher whilst travelling. On the other hand, a pop-top may have water & dust sealing problems.

Having ripped stuff off the roof rack of our standard Troopy, I am aware of height problems. But then we go along overgrown tracks that you may have no intention of doing.

Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 493389

Follow Up By: alecb30 - Friday, Aug 31, 2012 at 10:20

Friday, Aug 31, 2012 at 10:20
Hi Allan

Thanks for the quick reply and the tips about height issues with the "hard top". Seems like a "pop top" is the way to go with a Bush Camper but there aren't many around second hand.

Cheers

Alec
FollowupID: 769633

Reply By: Gnomey - Wednesday, Aug 22, 2012 at 14:06

Wednesday, Aug 22, 2012 at 14:06
G'day Alec
I bought a hard top and converted it to a pop top. No regrets.

Hard top catches more wind and has a higher centre of gravity which both affect handling. As Allan points out it also has "less" overhead clearance and an awful lot of campers get damaged in close encounters with trees and such. Mileage varies with experience, awareness and type of country travelled.

It also has less room upstairs in the sleeping quarters. Pretty squeezy moving around up there, ahem, especially for two. Less ventilation - so warmer in hot climate and, of course, cooler conditions.

Yes, rain can be an issue with the pop top and proofing around the window seams is essential and must be watched in seriously wet weather. That said and attended to it's not a very big deal or torment. Can't have the windward windows open in a hard top during rain and even the leeward ones might need closing. Dust hasn't been a problem for me.

You have to take care not to pinch the canvas in the scissor lifts (aptly named) when lowering the top and I suspect that is why the hire vehicles have been hard tops mostly. Otherwise setting up and packing up takes negligible extra time.

A pop top has much less storage space upstairs but then there is the centre of gravity thing to consider too.

If I had to do it all again I wouldn't buy an ex hire vehicle and would instead find a good used troopie and then convert it - yes with a pop top. Why I'd go that way is a longer story and not what you asked about.

Cheers
Mark
AnswerID: 493393

Follow Up By: alecb30 - Friday, Aug 31, 2012 at 12:01

Friday, Aug 31, 2012 at 12:01
G'day Mark

Thanks for the detailed reply. So helpful getting the heads up from you and Allan on this issue. The Hard Tops do seem tall and the troopy is already
quite high so it's not surprising this may affect handling. Interesting that you had a conversion done from hardtop to pop up. Was wondering how much a conversion like that would cost as it would be much easier to pick up a second hand Hard Top troopy When searching around the Internet - Britz have a few second hand camper troopy's for around $40,000 usually 2008-10 models but that's currently over for my budget. Was considering the Gov't Auctions - as the odd Troopy gets listed and then pay for a conversion.

Cheers

Alec :)

FollowupID: 769643

Reply By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Friday, Aug 31, 2012 at 12:28

Friday, Aug 31, 2012 at 12:28
Alec, a few years back we hired a hard-top Troopy to travel the Gibb River Road.

The high bed did not look too safe so we opted to use the fold-out bench seat as a bed. A bit narrow and we learned to perform synchronised turning in bed! LOL

The fibreglass top was pop-rivetted to the steel body and with the corrugations these worked loose and some fell out with the roof bouncing up & down! We finished the trip with the roof section roped down to the body!

Anyway, it was a great trip nevertheless.

Cheers
Allan

AnswerID: 493991

Reply By: get outmore - Saturday, Sep 01, 2012 at 08:28

Saturday, Sep 01, 2012 at 08:28
no question pop top if you can find one. I can only assume the high tops are so common due to lower cost of conversion for hire companies

AnswerID: 494051

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Saturday, Sep 01, 2012 at 08:50

Saturday, Sep 01, 2012 at 08:50
And they are tired of riveting the roofs back on!

Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 769696

Sponsored Links